The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
An introduction and a thank you....

Hey guys.. I joined in on this forum in a particularly difficult time, and I don't think I gave a proper intro. This is something I posted on a couple of forums that I've frequented for quite a few years, and I'll share it here. I don't know if any of you ever knew my friend Noah or I, but...

Hi fellas,

I've felt a little bit disconnected from you guys lately, and I'd like to re-connect.

My name's Jake B, and I've been around on these forums for around 6 years now. I'll give you a bit of my back-ground.

When I first became a member here, I owned a few Seikos that I'd inherited from my grandfather after he passed away, as well as a few pieces that he'd passed down to me that were family heirlooms...An old Omega pocketwatch, and a couple of railroad watches that were owned by my ancestors. The Omega was especially dear to me since my great uncle Andrew died on the J.R. Booth log-drive in Canada in the early days while carrying it...They later fished it, and him, out of the river, and restored the watch. My grandpa gave me that watch, and he always showed me the Rolex ads in the local paper for the Explorer and told me about how he wanted one. After that, I cut all the ads out of the local papers and I used to give them to him, and tell him that those were my gifts.

I went through a lot of hard times after that in my life. I moved to Northern Ontario, and I didn't like it. I worked very hard at a young age, and also partied hard. Life in Northern Canada is not always easy. I spent a long time trying to figure out just who I was...a Southern guy in a Northern world.. I worked as a cook, a general laborer, a demolitions exptert, a landscaper, a high-tech manufacturing assembler, I took my college courses and welded, I worked in the post office...but the whole time, I loved watches.

My grandfather died in 2005, and left me his watches. At that time, I decided that no matter what, I would find a way to do what I loved, learn as much as I could about watches, and try to make my own. I bought as many junkers as I could, and saved all my spare cash to buy watch tools, while I lived with my 85 year old grandmother, taking care of her, all the time with thoughts of my grandfather inspiring me. At that time, there were not many custom watches around, but I loved them and the idea. I bought my first custom watch from a very well respected company, and though...."Why can't I do this myself?".

In 2006, I started to talk with Noah Fuller, another Canadian who had just moved to Hong Kong. We bacame best of friends right away, talking skype, emails, and he supported me and my learning more than I could ever have wished for. He encouraged me to organize WIS meets, do demos, promotions, and pushed me to a whole new level.

Fast forward to 2009..I was at a crux. Noah offered me to come to join him, offered full support, a place to live, all his knowledge, his friendship, his connections. He told me, "Come to Hong Kong, try it out for three months, I will go on a tour of the USA and you will take full control. It seemed scary, but I knew it was a once in a lifetime chance. It took me ONE day to give him an answer and tell him "YES, I will be there in one month."

On July 4th, 2009 I arrived in Hong Kong with a suitcase and $3000. Noah took care of me like a brother and showed me everything he knew. He left me in charge, and when he returned we lived our lives like we'd known each other for our whole lives. I have a brother who I love dearly, and I loved Noah just the same. Noah introduced me to my girlfriend, who is now my wife...I thank him for this everyday. He trusted me and showed faith in me like no one other than a brother can. We worked hard, and together we realized the coming of the Tsunami, the realization of Noah's dream.

A few days after the first Tsunami was made, Noah broke his collarbone during a rugby game. He was placed on some heavy pain-killing meds, as you would expect. A few days later, he had stomach problems, which were attributed to the meds. He saw a few doctors. He was in a lot of pain. Within a week, it was apparent that he needed the hospital. After tests at the hospital, they found that he had a very large tumour in his gut. They removed it immediately and suggested he go back to Canada to receive treatment for CANCER.

For one year, we received fantastic support from all of you in the watch community, while Noah, fully aware of how serious it may be, toured the USA, Canada, and the EU. We hoped he would return, but he didn't. After a few surgeries and attempts to save his life by the Canadian health care system, who did a fantastic job to keep him comfortable and supported him through the ordeal, he passed away on April 13th, 2011.

Since then, I've tried to continue the legacy, and I'm doing my best to help all of you who are fans of Noah and our work, and the load is great. I'm happy to say that my brother in law has now become a part of the team, and I have a daughter on the way. I'd like to extend my greatest thanks to all the folks in the watch community who have been our friends through everything, and tell you that it is my mission to continue and strive to work in the spirit of my best friend's legacy.

When it all comes down to it, we were always, and I'll continue to be just a guy who loves watches and wants to share that with everyone. In the future, there will be some change, and I hope you can bear with me while I work through it, and know that I stand behind everything I do, as if I'm standing behind my friend as well.

EDIT: I've just added a pic of my Sub. Noah told me that he would come back to HK when he got better, we would both get no-date Subs, and we'd ride through Vietnam by motorcycle. When he knew he would not come back, he told me to make sure that I got that Sub and take the trip...I got the Sub 2 days before he passed and couldn't tell him. The trip to 'Nam is pending.

Jake B
Old 19 June 2011, 04:09 AM   #2
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your grandfather and friend's passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 04:11 AM   #3
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
My condolences.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys..I know it may not be too relevant here on The Rolex Forum, but since I'm now a regular part of the discussions here, maybe some background is good. I got off on the wrong foot with a few members here at a difficult time, with my font and stuff, but I'd really like to make things comfortable.
Old 19 June 2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Frogman4me
Banned

Thank you for sharing that story with us. Very heart warming and sad at the same time. I am glad you got your sub and will continuing the legacy. Good luck on your future endeavors and congrats on your new child. You will always have the support of us watch guys. Cheers.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 12:10 PM   #6
evanvito
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Very touching story. I've always admired yours and Noah's work and many times contemplated on getting a Tsunami of my own, never had a chance until I read about the sad news of his passing.

Anyway, good luck on your future endeavors friend.
evanvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 12:27 PM   #7
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Welcome to the TRF family. Very touching story. It sounds like you were very fortunate to have such wonderful people in your life.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 03:40 PM   #8
SL1229
"TRF" Member

Watch: the jewels
Hey Jake,

thanks for sharing your story. I really appreciate how transparent you are in your writing. Is there a website by any chance? thanks!
SL1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Sparky1970

Watch: Submariner 14060
Hi Jake, that's a very touching story. All the very best for the future and welcome to the forum.
Sparky1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 05:14 PM   #10
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Jake,

You are fortunate to have a friend like Noah, my condolences during this time of loss.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 09:17 PM   #11
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Welcome..

Thanks for sharing your story Jake. Very sorry to hear about your loss. Your thoughts and memories of him will serve as a way for him to live on. Stay strong and follow what you love
Very nice Sub btw.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 01:35 AM   #12
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Wow, what a story! Thank you for sharing. You are among friends here Jake!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 01:46 AM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Poignant story, my friend. Never had the pleasure of working w/ Noah, as I came to the Seiko brand just recently, but his reputation exceeded him.

It's been a pleasure working w/ you on my DYI projects, Jake.

Welcome, again, to TRF.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 02:10 AM   #14
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the TRF Jake. I am sorry to hear of your friend and my condolences. The best thing is you get to meet him in your life and share with him the good and bad times.

All the best in Hong Kong. I love that place!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 02:49 AM   #15
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Enjoy the trip to Viet Nam when the time comes! And congratulations on the Daughter.
Cheers!
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:22 AM   #16
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing that Jake
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:28 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome to TRF Jake and what a story. Glad you are here with us and hope you stick around!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:32 AM   #18
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Welcome Jake

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:44 AM   #19
Michael M.
Banned

Welcome Jake, very nice story!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 03:49 AM   #20
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Jake, what a story. Hope everything settles down now
KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 07:18 AM   #21
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Welcome and Keep up the legacy!
Old 20 June 2011, 08:05 PM   #22
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the kind words, fellas
Old 20 June 2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I'm humbled, puts things in perspective..
Old 20 June 2011, 08:18 PM   #24
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Welcome back.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 08:54 PM   #25
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Touching story. Enjoy your Sub, and the memories of your dear friend.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 20 June 2011, 09:00 PM   #26
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

quite a story. thank you for sharing.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 09:23 PM   #27
BeekerMuppet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14000M, 16570
Quite a story. You've seen the good and the bad. So hard to loose a friend like that. Good luck.
BeekerMuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 11:43 PM   #28
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Thanks for sharing, Jake. It's all about true friendship.

Welcome back!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 12:19 AM   #29
krzspeedstr
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I am new to the forum but really enjoyed reading your story. I offer my condolences and wish you nothing but the best in your future.
Old 23 June 2011, 11:48 AM   #30
LouisV

Very touching and inspiring story, thanks for sharing!
LouisV is offline   Reply With Quote