The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2006, 01:44 AM   #1
Redline John

Watch: TT DJ & Sub
Rolex Explorer

Just out of curiosity, as I consider adding the Sub to my current collection of one TT DJ, what's up with the Explorer? I see no mention of it here in these posts, and, seeing it on the Rolex home page, I think it a good-looking piece. Is it considered the Chevy of the Rolex line? Not that that by itself, is a deal breaker. I'm too old to be too snooty. Just fishing for some expertise here.
Redline John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 01:49 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The Explorer is a great watch. It's simple yet elegant. We have a few members that have them here. I think more people including myself don't own one due to their 36mm size. If they looked good on me, I would have one already, but my wrist and hand just swallow it up.

Here's a link to one for sale here now

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=10368
Old 24 November 2006, 01:59 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline John View Post
Just out of curiosity, as I consider adding the Sub to my current collection of one TT DJ, what's up with the Explorer? I see no mention of it here in these posts, and, seeing it on the Rolex home page, I think it a good-looking piece. Is it considered the Chevy of the Rolex line? Not that that by itself, is a deal breaker. I'm too old to be too snooty. Just fishing for some expertise here.
The EXP is a very nice watch, John. I think more people don't have them for two reasons: smaller size and less versitile than the GMT. The GMT bezel is bidirectionally rotatable, whereas the EXP's bezel is fixed. Other than that, it's a great watch and if you like the size of your DJ, you might want to consider the EXP. The red 4 hand gives it just the right amount of pizazz that makes it a good looking watch.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 01:59 AM   #4
Redline John

Ah, you hit the point I missed at first--36mm. That is why I want the Sub. My DJ always looked a bit undersized, which is why the Sub appeals to me.
Manly men, we are!
Old 24 November 2006, 02:01 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
The EXP is a very nice watch, John. I think more people don't have them for two reasons: smaller size and less versitile than the GMT. The GMT bezel is bidirectionally rotatable, whereas the EXP's bezel is fixed. Other than that, it's a great watch and if you like the size of your DJ, you might want to consider the EXP. The red 4 hand gives it just the right amount of pizazz that makes it a good looking watch.
Are we talking EXP or EXP II
Old 24 November 2006, 02:03 AM   #6
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Exp I is a great watch. Understated but just beautiful. Try one on, they sure are nice.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 02:07 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

The Explorer is a great watch. Rugged and strong with a great history, the watch has the capability to dress up or down as circumstances dictate. As has been stated the 36mm size may lend itself to those preferring DJ size watches.
The EXP II is bigger and does offer the option of dial color and a second timezone capability.
Many refer to it as the "stealth" Rolex as it may be a bit more subdued than other sports models.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 02:27 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The explorer is one of Rolex longest production runs,a great Rolex classic.And many members have one,myself have a vintage 1016 now becoming very collectible.Now the large triangle at '12' was first used by Rolex on the mixed Roman and Arabic dial in the 1940s.And Rolex registered the Explorer name before the Everest expedition in 1953.The first Explorers 6350 model used the "big bubbleback 10-1/2" A296 movement.Most of the early 6350 dials are also unusual in the fact that they are honeycombed a
Rolex first.In 1963 the Explorer changed again,and with a new 1560 cal movement it was renamed the 1016 and it became the longest running explorer from 1963 right up to 1989.Twenty six years without a much of a change ,the second version of the 1016 was really the second version of the 1560 calibre now called 1570 basically the same but now a hacking movement.Now these 15XX series movements IMHO are the finest Rolex ever made.Now around 1989 the Explorer disappeared from the Rolex catalogue But around 6 months was reintroduced,the new Explorer bearing the model 14270, sported a new case, dial, movement, and glass. IMHO it was because of the Jackie Chan movies where he wears one.Now the Japanese market when crazy for Explorers,very much like Daytona fever. And the Explorer at this time was very hard to get world wide.And was changing hands for as much as double retail price.Now with these new modifications brought the Explorer in line with all the other Rolex models. And because the real cosmetics of the new watch was so much changed from that of the old one,like the 1016.Now the price in the vintage collectors market is going up and IMHO if you can get hold of a good 1016,IMO will only go up in value

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 02:49 AM   #9
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
What I like about my EXP II: it is a beauty! If you are looking for a SS sports Rolex with white dial (excluding the dumb price of the Daytona), you are left with the EXP II. Perfect size and weight; looks great with jeans and suits...also a chick magnet!

I have had 3 already; gave 2 of them away as presents and kept the 3rd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003-2.jpg (53.3 KB, 1015 views)
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 02:53 AM   #10
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Icon11 DOES size matter???

Quote:
I worried about the 36mm size until I broke down and bought a SS DJ for those occasions where a dress watch was in order. I have a 7" wrist and, honestly, after a while the size seemed "right" to me. Sadly, the SS DJ and I have parted ways, but the TT DJ (new style) replacement (also 36mm) seems just fine size wise. Here's a wrist shot to give you an idea.

eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 03:09 AM   #11
miner
"TRF" Member

I have "conflict of interest" here as I'm trying to sell my Exp1 to fund a new purchase but there's a couple of other things to note about the Exp1.
It's got the same movement as the no date sub but it's a certified chronometer and the no date isn't.
The other thing is whilst the watch case may be 36mm the dial is the same size as an sd.
Its a magic watch, have a look at the pics in the for sale section.

PS Paulie thanks for the promotion
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 03:11 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Hi John,

Welcome to TRF. The Explorer is a superb watch, but, as Paulie said, too small for many of us with large wrists. The Exp-II, at 39 mm, is bigger and probably more popular.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 03:11 AM   #13
joelwong
"TRF" Member

Not to mention the Explorer went up Everest
joelwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 03:15 AM   #14
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwong View Post
Not to mention the Explorer went up Everest
So if you dive get the sub, if you climb get the explorer
Old 24 November 2006, 03:18 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
So if you dive get the sub, if you climb get the explorer
What a tosser!! And if you DATE then get the DJ!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 24 November 2006, 03:22 AM   #16
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
What a tosser!! And if you DATE then get the DJ!!!
And if you're bald and have a hankering after sheep

Blue TT Sub ??

Shouldn't you be in bed??
Old 24 November 2006, 03:25 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
And if you're bald and have a hankering after sheep

Blue TT Sub ??

Shouldn't you be in bed??
Bed? It's almost 6:30 am Friday morning here. Will be pushing off for work in an hour or so!!

Old 24 November 2006, 03:32 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Bed? It's almost 6:30 am Friday morning here. Will be pushing off for work in an hour or so!!
Another long delightful day in pastures ewe,or synchronised watch winding JJ,be very careful when pushing off.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 03:36 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Another long delightful day in pastures ewe,or synchronised watch winding JJ,be very careful when pushing off.

Old 24 November 2006, 05:11 AM   #20
Redline John

Thanks for all the detailed history and the trouble you went to to write it up. I especially like that shot of GerardoG's Explorer with the white face. An embarassment of riches with too many choices!!
Old 24 November 2006, 11:43 AM   #21
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
The Explorer is a great watch

I have to say that I really like the Explorer! I have owned two 18kt/SS Datejusts and now have the Explorer. The watch really is a looker. I admit that at times I miss the date however, I really like the versatility the watch offers. It looks right at home in a tux, a suit, jeans, shorts and even sweats. In my mind it's one of the nest models out there! Sizewise if the DJ fits the Explorer is the same size.
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 12:12 PM   #22
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
The Explorer 2 is really nice especially since it signature look is a arctic white crisp dial
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 12:16 PM   #23
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
I think the White Exp ll is the classiest of them all. I love my GMT, but long for that crisp white face. the Exp ll is not small at all. I think the earlier posts were referring to the Explorer. The Exp ll is plenty big.....looks the same as my GMT I think.....
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 01:34 PM   #24
Mrdi
Banned

In my collection,
The Explorer 1 gets the daily call.
Simple understated elegance1
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2006, 04:20 PM   #25
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
I think the White Exp ll is the classiest of them all. I love my GMT, but long for that crisp white face. the Exp ll is not small at all. I think the earlier posts were referring to the Explorer. The Exp ll is plenty big.....looks the same as my GMT I think.....
GMT-II = 40 mm
Exp-II = 39 mm

Go figure, pal!!

Old 24 November 2006, 11:57 PM   #26
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
What, no picture of an Explorer I.

Here you go. Simple and elegant.

John.

jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2006, 03:43 AM   #27
joelwong
"TRF" Member

Oyster bracelet, leather strap or nylon strap, the explorer looks just as good.
joelwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2006, 10:05 AM   #28
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
Yeah....I love it when people refer to the Explorer and Sub (14060m) as "entry level" Rolexes. The Explorer is such a piddly little thing at $4250 MSRP.

I love mine...excuse the arm hair!

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2006, 05:19 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Excellent picture, Sam!!

Old 26 November 2006, 01:25 AM   #30
rusi
Banned

Hi,
Padi where the hecks do you remember all the important dates & models of so many watch brands & different models.
I think you have a computer chip with a large memory implanted in your head.
God Bless you & your ocean of knowledge even at this YOUNG age.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote