The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2022, 05:20 AM   #1
dg88
"TRF" Member

N...aytona

First of all, I'd like to start off by saying I have little doubt I'll be laughed off this thread given it is common knowledge how difficult it is to purchase a Rolex thesedays! Recently I visited an AD to register my interest in a Daytona 116500LN (Panda) knowing full well these are classified as a 'grail' watch and having read countless articles warding off the idea due to the obvious insane levels of demand/lack of supply etc. But I still thought I'd give it a try - why not!?

By no means am I someone who takes such an investment lightly. £11,600 (taking into consideration the 2022 10% price hike) is an extreme amount of money in my eyes - an extravagance - especially for a watch. But like all of you, I have a keen interest in horology and the Daytona is my dream timepiece which I have saved for, for a number of years. I appreciate the ridiculous prices this piece goes for on the secondary market, but that doesn't mean anything to me - I would cherish this particular watch. Unfortunately, the sales representative didn't really attempt to find much out about me to develop a conversation, which I found a bit disappointing. He explained the current supply issues and effectively shut me off by advising that because I do not have a purchase history, a Daytona was out of the question (I have a GMT Master II 'Pepsi' and a few other watches but these were not purchased from this AD). I asked whether he would register me anyway - explaining that I am patient and happy to wait a number of years if necessary, and he then obliged; albeit at this point the atmosphere felt a bit negative - as though deep down he felt it was a bit pointless given he explained he had not had sight of a Rolex for sale at this particular branch in over 2 years! I found this quite hard to believe but there was nothing much I could say to that and I felt at least the registration was something achieved rather than nothing!

Overall, I do feel.a bit deflated and as though it's clear I will never be able to purchase my dream watch without needing to spend thousands of pounds more on watches I do not have any interest in or want. Perhaps someone knows any London (UK) based ADs they have had a positive experience with and may be kind enough to help me?

Best wishes.
dg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:23 AM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately you are one of the many millions out there in the same boat
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:23 AM   #3
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

You essentially cold walked into a store and asked if they would give you $30k.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:24 AM   #4
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg88 View Post
First of all, I'd like to start off by saying I have little doubt I'll be laughed off this thread given it is common knowledge how difficult it is to purchase a Rolex thesedays! Recently I visited an AD to register my interest in a Daytona 116500LN (Panda) knowing full well these are classified as a 'grail' watch and having read countless articles warding off the idea due to the obvious insane levels of demand/lack of supply etc. But I still thought I'd give it a try - why not!?

By no means am I someone who takes such an investment lightly. £11,600 (taking into consideration the 2022 10% price hike) is an extreme amount of money in my eyes - an extravagance - especially for a watch. But like all of you, I have a keen interest in horology and the Daytona is my dream timepiece which I have saved for, for a number of years. I appreciate the ridiculous prices this piece goes for on the secondary market, but that doesn't mean anything to me - I would cherish this particular watch. Unfortunately, the sales representative didn't really attempt to find much out about me to develop a conversation, which I found a bit disappointing. He explained the current supply issues and effectively shut me off by advising that because I do not have a purchase history, a Daytona was out of the question (I have a GMT Master II 'Pepsi' and a few other watches but these were not purchased from this AD). I asked whether he would register me anyway - explaining that I am patient and happy to wait a number of years if necessary, and he then obliged; albeit at this point the atmosphere felt a bit negative - as though deep down he felt it was a bit pointless given he explained he had not had sight of a Rolex for sale at this particular branch in over 2 years! I found this quite hard to believe but there was nothing much I could say to that and I felt at least the registration was something achieved rather than nothing!

Overall, I do feel.a bit deflated and as though it's clear I will never be able to purchase my dream watch without needing to spend thousands of pounds more on watches I do not have any interest in or want. Perhaps someone knows any London (UK) based ADs they have had a positive experience with and may be kind enough to help me?

Best wishes.
That's the typical response. Don't hold your breath and it's not you, it's just the way it is. My experience is the same as yours. I did the same thing 4 years ago and never got a call. I saved up and now waiting on an oysterflex daytona.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:44 AM   #5
KVNNSCHNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
This.
Old 13 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Don't take this the wrong way but you are being unrealistic expecting to receive a Daytona ever from an AD as a new customer as long as they remain the hottest model. You should be grateful he was direct with you instead of lying to your face and giving you false hope.

Think about it. How would you feel if you were one of over a hundred other existing good customers who have spent multiple thousands of GBP in that AD who want a Daytona, the AD only gets maybe 20 Daytonas/year, and the AD just skips over all of those loyal customers to hand one to a new customer such as yourself? Bad business.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:48 AM   #7
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
OP, I sympathize with your narrative and plight, but sadly you don’t currently qualify to purchase that watch.

A read of this thread may help https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=818218
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:59 AM   #8
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I feel for you OP, but chances are basically non-existent. I also love the Daytona and would like to own a steel one, so I'm in the same boat as you, not sure if a Daytona will ever come. I think you just need to be at peace with that and move on, and maybe one day you get surprised.

Consider one of the other Rolex models that is "more attainable" (even though they're all hard to get). I recently picked up a BLNR from the AD to join my sub. Definitely eases the Daytona pain with those to keep me company.

Edit: I just read that you have a few Rolex models. Enjoy those and move on from the Daytona. Consider it a nice little extra surprise if you get the call one day. Otherwise, grey is your only option.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:09 AM   #9
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Keep saving, you'll have the money to go grey sooner than receiving a call from the AD.
WilsdorfNDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:12 AM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I don't know what's up with some of these responses. You did nothing wrong. While obtaining a Daytona from an AD at MSRP without a purchase history is likely impossible, I'm not sure how else someone would expect you to express interest.

The salesman is absolutely lying when he says they haven't sold a Rolex in two years. He just means they might not have sold one out of the case. While I understand that it gets boring telling customers "no" all day, they are still salesmen and should still possess courtesy. I get tired telling patients the same thing for the millionth time, but it's called "my job."

I'd advise you to find an AD you seem to click with, buy pieces you want from this AD, ask to be put on a list, and wait. It seems to me like this particular AD just lost a customer who might have spent money there waiting years for a Daytona if they were only a little more professional. I've heard this time and time again, but are all ADs this snooty in the UK? Don't get me wrong, we have issues like this here in the US, but it seems like every time someone mentions a UK AD, it seems like there's an attitude.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:14 AM   #11
jcapulet786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36MM
Very simple.

Trade your Pepsi and add the 10-15k and you'll have your dream
jcapulet786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:23 AM   #12
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapulet786 View Post
Very simple.

This. You’re never going to get a Daytona from the AD.
If you want the Daytona and that’s your dream then you can trade your way into it quite easily from the sounds of your collection.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:26 AM   #13
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

£35k is the bare minimum for 116500 Daytona nirvana (go grey market)

Simple business for short supply goods. ADs will always source for their best customers. If you owned AD, what would you do. Sell to some random person walking in or to your best customer who has large spending history over the years.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:26 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Don’t feel bad. I had bought half a dozen Rolex from my AD when the 116500 was announced in 2016-17 and my AD still charged me over msrp lol

Forget the watch or pay up. Your call.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:30 AM   #15
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I don't know what's up with some of these responses. You did nothing wrong. While obtaining a Daytona from an AD at MSRP without a purchase history is likely impossible, I'm not sure how else someone would expect you to express interest.

The salesman is absolutely lying when he says they haven't sold a Rolex in two years. He just means they might not have sold one out of the case. While I understand that it gets boring telling customers "no" all day, they are still salesmen and should still possess courtesy. I get tired telling patients the same thing for the millionth time, but it's called "my job."

I'd advise you to find an AD you seem to click with, buy pieces you want from this AD, ask to be put on a list, and wait. It seems to me like this particular AD just lost a customer who might have spent money there waiting years for a Daytona if they were only a little more professional. I've heard this time and time again, but are all ADs this snooty in the UK? Don't get me wrong, we have issues like this here in the US, but it seems like every time someone mentions a UK AD, it seems like there's an attitude.
This is a very kind response and appreciated, thank you. I expected to receive the other snipey, sarcastic ones - not to worry!

I wonder if you're right re UK ADs too. This is the only one I have experience with to be honest as they have serviced my Rolex in the past and done a first class job. They were straight to the point which has saved me from unnecessarily raising my expectations, but I think the structure of the conversation could have been a bit warmer (from my years or customer service experience, if anything!). I have also read of similar experiences with UK ADs from people. There's a saying I really value - "courtesy and kindness costs nothing".

All the best to you.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:31 AM   #16
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNNSCHNG View Post
This.
No, he asked for a watch from a shop that retails watches.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:31 AM   #17
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
OP, I sympathize with your narrative and plight, but sadly you don’t currently qualify to purchase that watch.

A read of this thread may help https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=818218
Thank you for sharing the link.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:33 AM   #18
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNNSCHNG View Post
This.
No, he walked into a watch selling shop and asked for a watch.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:33 AM   #19
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapulet786 View Post
Very simple.

Pepsi will never be sold (sentimental value + I absolutely love the watch).
Old 13 January 2022, 06:34 AM   #20
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Sorry for the reality check my friend but unless you know the AD owner there’s no shot in getting a stainless daytona as your first piece in today’s market climate.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:35 AM   #21
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Old 13 January 2022, 06:45 AM   #22
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

You need to go back to the AD you bought your other watches and work with them. If they sold you a Pepsi, they like you.
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:48 AM   #23
RolexLoveBug
"TRF" Member

No chance to get one in London without a purchase history.

If you only want this model you’ll have to save up and go grey.
RolexLoveBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:00 AM   #24
quads
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
It does the seem the UK AD's in London specifically are disinterested when ever a "hot" watch is requested or a register of interest is recorded. They probably get hundreds of people asking for the same timepiece with no prior purchase history.
Without prior history it will be hard to obtain that watch and then a long wait.

Which AD's in London have your tried?
quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:11 AM   #25
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
OP asked for a realistic outcome or for a suggestion, and that was the advice I gave him. Yes, they sell watches, and they sell them to customers that essentially share the profits with them by buying a lot of other high margin stuff from the store.

Imagine being able to walk into a store, toss them your credit card, walk out and head a few blocks down the street, profit 30k at a grey, and call it a day.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:12 AM   #26
JC316
"TRF" Member

There is always hope! I'm like you! I'm willing to wait! Even if it takes years!

My recommendation is to stop by a number of ADs around your area and express your interest. You'll have to take the time and put in some work.
You'll need to frequently visit the ADs to check in and remind them you're still interested.

It is true, they may laugh and make jokes, but keep on trying! Do not let them deter you from your goal. All you need is for one person to connect with you.

I recently obtained a piece I probably should not have been able to get. Lots of luck was in my side as the stars perfectly aligned, but it only worked out because the representative in the AD knew how much I really wanted the watch and he wanted the watch to go to a person who he knew would enjoy it.

The watch is so much more special to me because of how I got it. I now find myself looking for ADs with pleasant to talk to representatives just to have a meaningful conversation about watches. Being genuine, polite and courteous will aid you in your effort!

I cannot wait for the day you finally post an incoming with a picture of your Daytona, that you purchased at MSRP through an AD, and against all odds!

I'm cheering for you!

Best of luck to you!

Life life without regret and in good health!
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:27 AM   #27
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg88 View Post
Perhaps someone knows any London (UK) based ADs they have had a positive experience with and may be kind enough to help me?

Best wishes.
Well, I can certainly appreciate your situation, I'm near London also and have phoned all the ADs in the South East and a lot of them as good as hung up on me, one actually did!

I've walked in to many ADs and they've been rude to varying degrees. Some have made me stand in front of their security cameras, whilst they take my photo, basically treating me like a thief. A few have begrudgingly entertained a conversation, but made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that I won't be getting a watch without spending a lot of money on other stuff in their store that I don't want. All have tried to get rid of me as quickly as they can.

I would take it personally if it wasn't for the fact I know it can't be - I'm almost 50, presentable and polite. Without wishing to big-myself-up, I own my own company, have a multi-million £ house, multiple expensive cars and two kids in private schools. And yet ... I'm literally treated like dirt on their shoes. I’m not saying being wealthy means you should be treated any differenty from anyone else; it’s more like wow, they really don't care one iota about my custom.

It’s majorly put me off the brand and really quite unpleasant. I don’t know why they even bother having sales assistants; they’d get more goodwill being closed.

I wasn’t aware of the grey market until I’d become pretty p^ssed with Rolex as a brand and so I’m not feeling particularly inclined to get involved there. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t, I’m still deciding. My wife says the whole thing is all a bit degrading and thinks I should stay well away. My son thinks it's hilarous and my daughter thinks Rolexes are ugly.

I did a little thought experiment which was to spend a day pretending I was wearing the watch I wanted. Do it well and you soon realise it changes nothing. Like that car you have sleepness nights waiting for and once you have it, it just becomes another possession you don’t really think about. You like it … but you don’t yearn it. I’m pretty sure I only want one because I can't get one (at retail)
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:30 AM   #28
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is an interesting comment.
If we assume for a moment that ADs don’t sell to grey market dealers for above retail profits or cash incentives.
Why would they be giving him 30k?
Surely the AD makes a set profit on a Daytona whoever they sell too?
If the AD can sell every Rolex they get why would they care who they sell too?
Surely just set up a list and everyone waits their turn??
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:32 AM   #29
dg88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP asked for a realistic outcome or for a suggestion, and that was the advice I gave him. Yes, they sell watches, and they sell them to customers that essentially share the profits with them by buying a lot of other high margin stuff from the store.

Imagine being able to walk into a store, toss them your credit card, walk out and head a few blocks down the street, profit 30k at a grey, and call it a day.
With good customer service skills and open-questioning, one would be able to quite comfortably ascertain whether an individual is a flipper or not. As I mentioned previously, very little effort was made to engage with and get to know me - notwithstanding the fact I have a 17 year old Rolex which I treasure, the dealer would have quite easily been able to ascertain whether I'm 'that' person who walks in, says "thanks" and buggers off to sell it for 30k. Not everyone is like that. If I wanted to I could sell my Pepsi for £15k (having originally paid £2k for it!) but no. Again, open questioning, with a warm customer-friendly approach would enable anyone to ascertain I am passionate enough about the Daytona to not wish to do that, but to treasure it for a lifetime. But obviously, of course there are people out there who will happily do that if given the chance. I'm not naive and went into the conversation with the dealer having done my research (including knowing deep down it probably wasn't going to happen!). Of course, when you ARE let down...it'll always feel like a surprise, even if you knew it would happen!

All the best.
Old 13 January 2022, 07:35 AM   #30
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

It sucks really.

It’s a positive re-enforcement loop cycle that gets worse and worse.
People that have the financial means or even those that spend many years saving, to be able to buy the watch(es) they want from the company they love, can’t do it because Rolex, as a privately owned company, doesn’t have to answer to stock holders. They care more about exclusivity, which drives their brand and desirability up. But it also increases the grey market values. Which prohibits them from selling watches at retail/ADs. You can never enter the game as a collector without going grey, because you’ll never get the watches you desire for your actual collection because of flippers.
I have a list of 2 Daytonas (116519LN & 116509 blue dial) and an AK I want. I may be able to get an AK if I can find one at an AD. I want to pick up a Tudor 1926 also, and maybe an Omega, so I’m going to an AD that carries both. Maybe I can work some magic. Start somewhere.

But I’ll likely still have to go grey for the Daytonas. Maybe it will help that I’m after the white gold and not the SS.

I’d love if you could order, register with Rolex, heck, I’d even factory enscribe the thing on the back if it made a difference.

I’m just hoping I can get the AK. And I’d love to actually be able to buy Rolex watches from Rolex and register it with them as the owner. I’d even be happy ordering the exact watches I wanted and waiting months of production for them.
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote