The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2022, 02:05 PM   #1
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

patek rejection

Hi all,

I am a longtime rolex wearer among other brands and now looking into purchasing my first Patek. I really just want an entry level calatrava or a complications piece. Not looking for a nautilus or aquanaut.

I went to two ADs about an hour away from me, and both said that all the watches they will get for the next 2 years have been reserved. I asked them how should I go about getting into building a purchase history with Patek, and they said to try again in two years, which I found pretty unhelpful.

Is this the truth or am I getting the runaround? The next AD's closest two me are in the next state over, but I will make the effort if there is actual hope in purchasing a Patek sometime this year. Thanks for your help.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I was informed by my AD that all Pateks (except for the Golden Ellipse and selected ladies models) have interest lists. Not too sure if they run into 2 years but I think that will depend on locations.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 02:21 PM   #3
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Interesting..
Old 3 May 2022, 02:29 PM   #4
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this OP. Doesn’t hurt to give those other ADs a call to inquire. Id be honest, tell them your situation, and state your interest prior to making the trek.

Also, with demand greater than supply business is good for Patek in the near term but I wonder how this will play out for the many millennials coming in to wealth in the years ahead if the majority of them are turned away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 02:50 PM   #5
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Are you looking for the 6119 Calatrava? Since this is a new model, it usually have more interest and probably lower production.

And what is the complication which you inquired?

Everything probably have a wait now but I am not sure if everything is two years out. But for sure, supply and demand is not balanced. I tried to introduce someone to my AD and he is not willing to take on new customers as he does not have enough pieces to go around.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 03:31 PM   #6
Uros
"TRF" Member

In Europe/smaller ADs situation is I guess better. AD in Trieste Italy i visited recently had few Caltravas and 5320g available for immediate purchase.

Going to Munich this weekend hopefully to see 2022 novelties so will see the situation in bigger cities…

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 05:40 PM   #7
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post
Hi all,

I am a longtime rolex wearer among other brands and now looking into purchasing my first Patek. I really just want an entry level calatrava or a complications piece. Not looking for a nautilus or aquanaut.

I went to two ADs about an hour away from me, and both said that all the watches they will get for the next 2 years have been reserved. I asked them how should I go about getting into building a purchase history with Patek, and they said to try again in two years, which I found pretty unhelpful.

Is this the truth or am I getting the runaround? The next AD's closest two me are in the next state over, but I will make the effort if there is actual hope in purchasing a Patek sometime this year. Thanks for your help.
so to put it into perspective, i have enough trust from a boutique that they sold me a Plat DD and SS Daytona... I walked over to a separate boutique run by the same entity inquiring about a Patek that trades LOWER than msrp on the grey and the SA was really down playing my chances...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 09:22 PM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m not surprised though. Honestly at this point every watch is hard to get. The demand for a simple 6119G is high yet each AD probably get only 1-2 examples each year. Including the 6119R that makes it about 4 per AD for 6119. Even if it’s 3 person waiting that’s already 1-2 years.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 10:56 PM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds legit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 11:26 PM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek has discontinued a lot of Calatravas over the past few years. I can see how the 6119 being new is hard to get. Did the AD also say the 5227 is a 2 year wait? That is crazy!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #11
joa
"TRF" Member

this reminds me on the situation w/ with Rolex & Day Date:

A short while ago, those models were used to *build* purchase history, now the ADs can't even source them for ppl *with* purchase history.
Old 4 May 2022, 01:04 AM   #12
cts
"TRF" Member

I believe it unfortunately. Patek is truly the Alpha of the pack and will likely stay that way for a long long time. Other brands are wonderful as well but many are not in the same stratosphere..
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:26 AM   #13
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Prior to being discontinued, all 5196s at my AD (largest in US) were already list items. People were buying all sorts of crap to try and move from Rolex to PP. It isn't an easy game.

All you can do is be patient. If you want a classic calatrava, there is no substitute as there is only one original. Was lucky to get one before discontinued and I'm sad I overlooked them for so long, but relieved I was able to strike while the iron was still hot.
Old 4 May 2022, 04:15 AM   #14
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Sorry to hear about the experience... the attitude of the AD seems a bit off. However, on the inventory level, it's the same over here. Basic calatravas have a strong list and demand. Actually everything Patek other than ladies dress pieces is hot right now.

I would try another AD.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:43 AM   #15
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
In Europe/smaller ADs situation is I guess better. AD in Trieste Italy i visited recently had few Caltravas and 5320g available for immediate purchase.

Going to Munich this weekend hopefully to see 2022 novelties so will see the situation in bigger cities…

Agree. My small-town AD had 5196R, 5227J, 6119R, a 5230 WT, and a number of ladies models in the shop window last Sunday.

Actually, it feels a bit weird calling them "my" AD these days. They sold me a Nautilus as a first piece years ago but since I have been waiting for two more watches to no avail and am wondering if I will ever get another call. No bad feelings though as I continue to enjoy the one I have got from them.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:18 AM   #16
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
I would simply call around to other dealers and ask for a Calatrava only as that is your best shot, of course you can mention complication as an alternative. I have been to 6 or so PP dealers in the USA and most are totally sold out of all men's watches. I personally, have had good luck with Altier Jewelers in Boca Raton, and they have lots of local and out of state customers and doubt you would wait 2 years for a Patek.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 05:55 AM   #17
Vesper Lynd
Banned

What Patek, Rolex and Audemars Piguet are doing with potential customers is surreal. What a pity.
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I always thought Calatrava’s were relatively easy to come by … sounds like they’ve become the OP’s of Patek now
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:19 AM   #19
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Sounds about right. My first PP AD (from 2014) told me recently he cannot sell to ‘foreign’ customers, me, even though I live and work in Switzerland. I understood his point that he will sell to his hometown clients. No hard feelings - great people. He said this is a regulation coming from PP directly. Not sure how the AD plans to deal with the avalanche of Chinese tourist that traditionally bring loads of business.

I went directly to the Salon for the relationship almost two years ago and glad I did. Like I mentioned somewhere else, it took me about 9 months to get my 6119R. Unreal for a simple calatrava. For another thread: the 6119R is stunning and terrific. Love the piece.
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:20 AM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Lynd View Post
What Patek, Rolex and Audemars Piguet are doing with potential customers is surreal. What a pity.

How can they sell them watches they don’t have to sell?

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 06:39 AM   #21
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
You can find the 6119s for the equivalent of msrp plus tax from many secondary dealers. I’d go that route. I suspect it will be easier at some point down the road but no guarantees when.
Old 4 May 2022, 07:09 AM   #22
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

I feel for the OP. It is a tough time to start collecting with Patek or Rolex or some others. It is not even your first or second choice, it is anything that you may want is hard to get.
somthingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 01:12 PM   #23
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

patek rejection

Curious if you are looking for a watch or an AD relationship? I can appreciate you may want both ideally…but would you be happy with just getting the watch? If so, what calatrava model do you want? I know a vintage dealer that happens to have 2021 6119g for retail if that’s of interest.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:09 PM   #24
David001
Banned

It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

One of the best things about buying a Patek was the experience, walking in and being pampered, choosing a watch, having them lay various choices out in front of you and getting the full experience. My first PP purchase was a dream, back then I had the choice of multiple watches, in rose, yellow and white gold. Some were allocation only but most were available to browse. I'll never forget the experience, I was there for ages, the SA really engaged with me and bought out different ones to try until I got something that I thought was a perfect fit.

Now it's a very clinical affair, you don't get to browse, you don't get to walk in on a whim and try a few on, it's all hype merchants with too much money and no love for the watches.

It's not a good situation, I think it's ruined the whole experience.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 02:43 PM   #25
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer28 View Post

It’s their truth.

I have a suggestion that is a bit offhanded. I have a couple of PP ADs nearby. One is haughty and aloof. The other is downright nice.

Of course neither had what I wanted (Nautilus)

I bought a Calatrava from a local trusted seller on my next two trips to the nice PP AD (to get straps) I showed them my “new to me” 5119j. 15 minutes later they were showing me a new Calatrava. Very nice one…6119r - declined it since I had just bought the 5119. Seems there’s always something in the back…

Might be a pathway for you? Nothing lost, your pre-loved “new to you” Calatrava will keep you happy and you can always sell it when you get the new one you want.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 03:03 PM   #26
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Not uncommon, sorry to hear
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 04:03 PM   #27
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Sounds about right. My first PP AD (from 2014) told me recently he cannot sell to ‘foreign’ customers, me, even though I live and work in Switzerland. I understood his point that he will sell to his hometown clients. No hard feelings - great people. He said this is a regulation coming from PP directly. Not sure how the AD plans to deal with the avalanche of Chinese tourist that traditionally bring loads of business.

I went directly to the Salon for the relationship almost two years ago and glad I did. Like I mentioned somewhere else, it took me about 9 months to get my 6119R. Unreal for a simple calatrava. For another thread: the 6119R is stunning and terrific. Love the piece.
i call it BS. this comes not from PP, it is just a convenient excuse by the AD. i know a few ADs in germany and austria that sell regularly to clients from dubai. very recently i asked for a green dial 5270P and was told : sorry but you have to understand that that watch goes to my arab clients first......
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 09:05 PM   #28
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i call it BS. this comes not from PP, it is just a convenient excuse by the AD. i know a few ADs in germany and austria that sell regularly to clients from dubai. very recently i asked for a green dial 5270P and was told : sorry but you have to understand that that watch goes to my arab clients first......
At least he was honest with you. He could have put you on a 'list' which you had no chance of getting to the top of.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:03 PM   #29
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
At least he was honest with you. He could have put you on a 'list' which you had no chance of getting to the top of.
yes, true!!!
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2022, 10:14 PM   #30
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
Are you an established client at this AD? The purchase history requirement from my AD for this watch is ridiculous.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote