The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2024, 10:18 AM   #1
GhostDosa
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Authentication?

I recently acquired an older Rolex that didn’t have papers. I have heard that Rolex’s service centers offer authentication. Is this still true? If not are there other places in the north Texas area I can visit for authentication? Thank you.
GhostDosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 05:29 PM   #2
hojlund
"TRF" Member

still true. take it to rsc and said it has been running slow, they will check it.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 05:59 PM   #3
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Put pics here, we’ll tell you.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 06:15 PM   #4
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Put pics here, we’ll tell you.
authenticate a watch by just pictures? I can tell you it's impossible.
Old 25 March 2024, 07:21 PM   #5
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
still true. take it to rsc and said it has been running slow, they will check it.
That's not going to give you 100% confirmation. But you can pay a fee to RSC for authentication, where they will inspect everything, including opening the case back and inspecting the movement, dial, etc. I think it's under $200 for authentication. Another way is to pay for a service. A nice bonus is knowing the watch is or isn’t reported as stolen.

My question to OP: why purchase a Rolex when you’re not sure if it’s authentic?
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 07:33 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

An older Rolex without papers also means it likely didn't come with a service history.

If you send it to the Dallas RSC, ask for an overhaul, you will get a detailed list required and recommended service work along with price quote for each item.

Since you own it now, you'd be getting an assurance of authenticity, legitimacy and workmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 08:18 PM   #7
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
authenticate a watch by just pictures? I can tell you it's impossible.
You are new here.
There are some very skilled and knowledgable users on this forum.
Most counterfeits can be identified in pictures.
Only a small % of modern counterfiets can fool in pics, especially the ones altered with genuine parts.. however, this chap has an 'older Rolex', which I suspect will be EASY to tell if it is genuine or not as the quality of counterfeits years ago was laughable.

So while there may be some truth in your statement that it's impossible, it is however very likely that the collective will be able to tell him if his watch is 'not' genuine, or at least if the watch in the pictures appears to be genuine.
Old 25 March 2024, 09:14 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
An older Rolex without papers also means it likely didn't come with a service history.

If you send it to the Dallas RSC, ask for an overhaul, you will get a detailed list required and recommended service work along with price quote for each item.

Since you own it now, you'd be getting an assurance of authenticity, legitimacy and workmanship.

This is the answer and the course I would follow.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 09:43 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDosa View Post
I recently acquired an older Rolex that didn’t have papers. I have heard that Rolex’s service centers offer authentication. Is this still true? If not are there other places in the north Texas area I can visit for authentication? Thank you.

What makes me smile these so called papers nothing more than in most cases a outdated warranty like you get with say a TV.And with today's technology far easier to fake than the watch,and being around Rolex watches for 50 plus years, seen many fake papers/cards that would fool most today.So always buy from a 100% reliable source then no need for any authentication.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 09:48 PM   #10
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

^^^^

Welcome to the forum OP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 12:23 AM   #11
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
You are new here.
There are some very skilled and knowledgable users on this forum.
Most counterfeits can be identified in pictures.
Only a small % of modern counterfiets can fool in pics, especially the ones altered with genuine parts.. however, this chap has an 'older Rolex', which I suspect will be EASY to tell if it is genuine or not as the quality of counterfeits years ago was laughable.

So while there may be some truth in your statement that it's impossible, it is however very likely that the collective will be able to tell him if his watch is 'not' genuine, or at least if the watch in the pictures appears to be genuine.
you've already pointed out the reason why only picture cant authenticate a watch - a small % of modern counterfiets can fool in pics! as I have already told the OP, send the watch to rsc is the only way to be sure.
Old 26 March 2024, 12:56 AM   #12
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you've already pointed out the reason why only picture cant authenticate a watch - a small % of modern counterfiets can fool in pics! as I have already told the OP, send the watch to rsc is the only way to be sure.
How about if you just recommended he take something like this to be authenticated at Rolex..

..if only he posted it here first, we could tell him not to bother(?) But you recommend he go straight to RSC with it?

Most new, 1single post users here with an authtication question usually have a ridiculous fake watch.

Stick around..
Old 26 March 2024, 01:12 AM   #13
ZOOK

Quote:

I would follow Paul's advice. Contact RSC to start.

Dallas RSC - Rolex Service Center 214-871-0500
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 01:17 AM   #14
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Posting a few pictures on here can’t do any harm. You will get some good feedback from some very knowledgeable people
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2024, 06:55 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDosa View Post

They do, but it is not free as they do take it apart. If you do not know the history then go ahead and have it serviced. If it is in the "vintage" category, save your money and use one of the good independent watchmakers who specialize in vintage.

Any watchmaker anywhere can give you a head nod and tell you one way or the other.