The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 02:35 AM   #1
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

WG 126509 vs SS 126500.. no love for the WG?

Been debating which one to go for, and sure it depends on the rest of the collection personal preferences etc.. but searching on threads here and just overall, it seems like most even with market premium prefer SS DaytonaC vs the WG non ceramic bracelet counterparts?

Anyone have the 116509 or 126509?
sampelligrino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:41 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I guess ppl prefer the lower price point of the ss for a similar look
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #3
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Both would be best! Heft of precious metal in a Daytona, that is pretty svelte to begin with, is transformative compared to the stainless steel version. Then again, it is hard to find a more beautiful and comfortable watch to wear than the stainless Daytona.

Basically, I'd recommend getting the 126500 from your AD when you can. Then add a white gold Daytona on the bracelet. You'll see they wear very differently even though they look similar. Get the Daytona 116509 over the current model. You can find the previous generation at some really good price points in the preowned market.
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #4
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I love PM Daytonas. I think it’s the best version of sports PM in the Rolex lineup.

I’ll take the 509 over the 500 everytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #5
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I have had both, the WG one had the blue dial. SS white dial. I eventually sold them as I found them difficult to read. I frequently use a chrono and these were nearly impossible to read. Didn’t like the screw down pushers.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #6
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I have had both, the WG one had the blue dial. SS white dial. I eventually sold them as I found them difficult to read. I frequently use a chrono and these were nearly impossible to read. Didn’t like the screw down pushers.
That's discouraging - I was thinking about getting the blue dial. I thought the hands were easier to read on that dial?
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #7
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

If gold then yellow
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #8
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I've tried on the 126509 "ghost" recently and have tried on the 126500 white a couple times. The WG Daytona feels a little bland and underwhelming compared to the stunning contrast of the white dial stainless 126500 or 116500.

I think the blue 116509 is interesting, but only in certain lighting conditions.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #9
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I've tried on the 126509 "ghost" recently and have tried on the 126500 white a couple times. The WG Daytona feels a little bland and underwhelming compared to the stunning contrast of the white dial stainless 126500 or 116500.

I think the blue 116509 is interesting, but only in certain lighting conditions.

I totally get the allure of the 126500, and even with market pricing it's still substantially cheaper to obtain than the WG 126509

That being said, while I know the SS has all the hype there was something I couldn't put my finger on that led me to sell my older gen 116500LN before, maybe it seemed like just so much going on between the ceramic bezel & hollow subdials, that has me liking the more "simple" WG style with the bezel the same as the case, making the watch appear slimmer and cleaner to my eyes

Decided to go with the 126509 black stick dial, maybe it's a bit "dressier" and something appealed to me that it isn't a "hype" watch and actually more subtle in appearance than the SS versions IMO. Not to bash the SS in any way, it is truly an incredible piece by it's own right
sampelligrino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #10
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
I totally get the allure of the 126500, and even with market pricing it's still substantially cheaper to obtain than the WG 126509

That being said, while I know the SS has all the hype there was something I couldn't put my finger on that led me to sell my older gen 116500LN before, maybe it seemed like just so much going on between the ceramic bezel & hollow subdials, that has me liking the more "simple" WG style with the bezel the same as the case, making the watch appear slimmer and cleaner to my eyes

Decided to go with the 126509 black stick dial, maybe it's a bit "dressier" and something appealed to me that it isn't a "hype" watch and actually more subtle in appearance than the SS versions IMO. Not to bash the SS in any way, it is truly an incredible piece by it's own right
I can totally understand that logic. The premium of the steel on the grey market vs the WG prices makes no sense to me.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:05 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
That's discouraging - I was thinking about getting the blue dial. I thought the hands were easier to read on that dial?
If legibility is your goal, nothing beats a Speedmaster IMHO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote