The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #31
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Yes 100% agreed with you.

I was offered a Resonance for ~$40k or $50k or something like that from WatchBox for example in 2018 or 2019.

You could definitely have built an AMAZING collecting for under ~$250k in 2019 even.

There are more options now, but your dollar does not take you nearly as far.
I could have bought a Philippe Dufour Simplicity at $35k some time ago. Let's move on.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #32
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I could have bought a Philippe Dufour Simplicity at $35k some time ago. Let's move on.
Meh that's not really the same thing. Super small brand/individual vs one that was well known in the collecting community.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #33
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which 5711s do you currently own?
5711A blue plus white dial variants and a 5711r.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #34
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Good thoughts everyone and kind of aligns with my thinking. The only catalyst near term might be the new patek cubicus release. Additional headwinds as things transition to 5811 are also true. I too doubt they will release a steel 5811 due to Stern's emphasis on precious metal over steel.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #35
CarForHire
"TRF" Member

I get that Patek doesn't want the Nautilus to become what they are known for but I hate the idea of only offering PM sport watches. It just defeats the purpose to me... Would be great to have but not having any SS sport models for people that actually wear and use their watches with their intended purposes has me scratching my head.
CarForHire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #36
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarForHire View Post
I get that Patek doesn't want the Nautilus to become what they are known for but I hate the idea of only offering PM sport watches. It just defeats the purpose to me... Would be great to have but not having any SS sport models for people that actually wear and use their watches with their intended purposes has me scratching my head.
Doesn't the 5811g serve that purpose? White gold looks like SS. The SS 5711 also is a scratch magnet as is. I don't see much of a difference for 5711 SS vs 5811 white gold for durability even though some say white gold is softer.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #37
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This whole thread is about pricing. Why wouldn’t I make a comment about it?

I’m totally right now. If you want to buy all the “classic” pieces from each brand right now, you’re objectively spending much more than you would have in 2019.

I think it’s great prices are correcting.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #38
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I always laugh when I think about Thierry Stern's comment "we don't want to be defined by the Nautilus" when the man's $90M super yacht is literally called "Nautilus" that tells me all I need to know. It's all marketing BS.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #39
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
That statement is pure insanity!

Nautilus is a great model, no doubt. But it sits behind the RO in terms of historical importance.

I am not sure it is even among the top 5 models produced by PP.
Nautilus is the model that defines PP whether you like it or not. Ask randomly 10 people which model of PP they would like to get if offered and 9/10 would say Nautilus. The other person already has one! It is akin to Sub for Rolex, first thing that comes to mind.

Further, I don’t think Nautilus is a hype piece. It is the most desired piece that is produced at lower quantity than demand. However, the demand is significant enough, to make it one of the highest produced models by PP. The reason it is demanded is design. Pure perfection. No other watch by PP comes close.
vliberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #40
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Nautilus is the model that defines PP whether you like it or not. Ask randomly 10 people which model of PP they would like to get if offered and 9/10 would say Nautilus. The other person already has one! It is akin to Sub for Rolex, first thing that comes to mind.

Further, I don’t think Nautilus is a hype piece. It is the most desired piece that is produced at lower quantity than demand. However, the demand is significant enough, to make it one of the highest produced models by PP. The reason it is demanded is design. Pure perfection. No other watch by PP comes close.
First thing that comes to my mind is a 3940. The nautlitus hype is a relatively recent phenomenon over the past decade. Royal oak is the first steel integrated sports watch that comes to my mind not the nautilus
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #41
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
First thing that comes to my mind is a 3940. The nautlitus hype is a relatively recent phenomenon over the past decade. Royal oak is the first steel integrated sports watch that comes to my mind not the nautilus
No right or wrong here as what comes to mind will be different for everyone.

For me the PCCs and WTs come to mind when I think of Patek (with the 3940 in the running as well) and the Nautilus comes to my mind when I think of high-end sports watches. I bought several watch magazines when 5711 et al were launched in 2006 but was never much interested in getting a Royal Oak.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #42
CarForHire
"TRF" Member

People that think the Nautilus is the flagship model for Patek are new to the brand..
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #43
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
People that think the Nautilus is the flagship model for Patek are new to the brand..
This. It’s not a flagship whatsoever and never positioned as such. It’s just the golden boy of the catalogue when it comes to hype.
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #44
APhound
"TRF" Member

5740 is certainly up there for what I consider flagship (I have a 5270j) and many Pateks by the way. I’d say right now in 2024 (not 2018 or 2027) 5740 is at the top and many nautilus and aquanauts are what everyone’s talking about (not just the new guys)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #45
HMHM
"TRF" Member

This is great news! Makes things more accessible and shorter waiting times.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #46
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Anyone who says that the Nautilus defines Patek has an exceptionally myopic view of the brand and is doing a disservice to the brand’s history. It is the most sought after model of the last decade, perhaps, but that is a drop in the bucket for a brand approaching 200 years.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #47
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Everyone has different tastes and thats fine but it still blows my mind how someone can hold a 5711 and a 5270 and discard the 5270 in favour of the 5711.

The 5711 is so basic. It serves a very good purpose which is a simple, time only (date) steel watch to wear at the weekend when the suit is back in the cupboard and you are wearing jeans and a t-shirt over the weekend (Patek's vision, as I understand it).

I appreciate modern life is more casual but going back to the watches, Patek make some truly phenomenal complicated watches. I'd rather wear almost all of them over a 5711.

I dont get the hype. So it's good that is cooling down. 57/58-11 are great watches but I dont get the obsession when there is a treasure trove of incredible timepieces to choose from.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #48
CarForHire
"TRF" Member

I agree. Watches are like cars. You wouldn’t take your 911 off-roading when you’re better suited taking your Cayenne. Does that mean you can’t take a Dakar? Absolutely not, but like a car each watch has an intended purpose and us as collectors like to have the options.

The problem for post hype collectors is that they want everyone to know when they spend a chunk of change on a watch. A 5711 will get the attention and there’s nothing wrong with that. The watch is amazing and it’s a shame hype has inflated it so much. When it comes to the level of a sports watch with complication abilities the Nautilus is my favorite. I never discredit the watch I just hate what people that want it for the status alone have done to the model and brand. Also why I’ve never cared for the 5711 as much and always leaned towards the 5726 and 5712. 5740 being the grail.
Old Today, 03:28 AM   #49
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I don't have strong feelings about the 5711 or 5811 one way or the other. I think it's a good looking watch. I do not think it's worth the secondary market prices. I do not think it's worth having an extensive purchase history just to be considered a good enough customer to be offered one to buy. Certainly, the white gold model is, to me, not worth the retail or secondary market prices.

As others have pointed out though, what does rub me to wrong way is Stern's proclamation that Patek is not the "Nautilus company," and yet continued to make hype models like the olive green dial and Tiffany blue dial variants right before the supposed cessation of manufacture of the 5711....only to then offer essentially the same watch, but in a more exclusive white gold variant.

While I wouldn't call it hypocritical....I don't think it's that, it certainly isn't sincere. I do find it a bit cynical.

Releasing the limited in number green and Tiffany blue dials was just a gesture to the haves....getting even more to have. The white gold being a kind of "consolation prize" but only to the well-heeled.

Whatever, Patek can do what it wants.

If the 5711 comes down in price to something close to its last retail price, or below, it's something to consider.

But to me, it's simply not worth the effort right now.
Gebbeth is online now   Reply With Quote