The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old Today, 02:41 PM   #1
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

5711 Hype Dissapearing

The 5711 prices on secondary are dropping significantly even past discontinuation. I have several dial color configurations and am thinking of consolidating my collection (aka selling). Is this something multiple 5711 owners have considered?

I see nothing in the future propping the hype prices up. Happy to be wrong however.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Yeah they're definitely dropping fast. I see 60k as a very reasonable target within the next year.
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

Hmm good question. Nobody knows what the future holds but I feel pretty good about my 5711. I probably paid way too much for it but to me it was always kinda THE watch.. I think if they can’t hold value then I don’t know what can.
But if I had multiple I’d maybe trade some for something else and just keep one, but that’s just for practicality not what’s a better investment. What are you thinking of trading into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:54 PM   #4
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
Hmm good question. Nobody knows what the future holds but I feel pretty good about my 5711. I probably paid way too much for it but to me it was always kinda THE watch.. I think if they can’t hold value then I don’t know what can.
But if I had multiple I’d maybe trade some for something else and just keep one, but that’s just for practicality not what’s a better investment. What are you thinking of trading into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly thinking of selling to buy stocks while i await for future patek releases
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #5
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

It’s a mass produced watch that is “nice” but not worth anywhere near what it has traded for these last few years. I wouldn’t be surprised if it keeps floating down in value.

IMO it’s a good thing as Patek has WAY more interesting pieces than the Nautilus. I’m glad Patek said they didn’t want turn into AP and the RO.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 PM   #6
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Not a bad thing especially if you are in the market for one
less buyers the better and I mean that for all watches
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:39 PM   #7
robertengel
"TRF" Member

I have recently purchased a 5712 on grey and can tell you that if something is priced right, even 10% under the average it can move in days. I would get a watch offered wednesday night and by thursday morning it would be sold, so there is definitely movement and it's not a "free fall" at least for that model. I think what will define the bottom will be the new price of comparable models. SO if the only available three hand time only Nautilus is the 5811 and it costs 60k then the bottom will be somewhat above that. Furthermore dont let low prices at face value fool you, some of them are 12 years old and in ROUGH shape. You would think it's easy to find a good watch for a ton of money but it is not. Bad polishing and questionable history made me raise my budget multiple times.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not sure if other multiple 5711 owners address the issue purely from a financial perspective. It begs the question why you ended up with multiple 5711 and what has changed since. If you fell out of love with the disappearing hype you might still want to rush to the exit despite missing out on much higher prices 2 years ago. No point in hoping for prices to move up again substantially but still some room for further drops I think. Personally I have a clear favorite which I continue to enjoy and haven't thought about selling. Not in 2021 or 2022 and not since.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 PM   #9
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Excellent idea! Sell your 5711s and buy stocks. Equities will go up in price between now and when PP issues its new releases thereby reducing your "real cost" when you are allocated those new and desirable watches.
I don't see anything wrong with this. Everyone should do it.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote