The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2024, 10:45 AM   #31
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Broken link for me.

Vendor says I should get it sometime next week. Just trying to be patient. I knew it would take some time to sort out though. I'm pretty picky about things sometimes.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:42 AM   #32
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Let’s try that again. https://www.ebay.com/itm/256541884177
TimeLord2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2024, 02:09 AM   #33
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
Vendor had to repair a bezel clip or something so still waiting. Hopefully by next week!
What in the world is a bezel clip? These references have unidirectional bezels with just a flat bendable “spring” underneath. What could possibly require repairing that wasn’t mentioned in the ad?
Old 21 July 2024, 02:53 AM   #34
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

That eBay bezel looks good. Man, I'd really have no idea telling a genuine one from a replica.

Sounds like that spring was faulty or jammed. Wouldn't rotate.
Old 21 July 2024, 01:57 PM   #35
TimeLord2

Definitely not a replica as nobody gives a crap about a 16753 bezel insert at this point, far as I know. I would buy it myself but moving and a divorce so really not at the top of priorities. I would definitely buy that but offer them $400. 30-day return policy so I would take them up on that and hope @Springer responds to this thread. He is without a doubt the guru on the GMT Master 1675 and 16750 reference. That said, IK have seen a simlar one selling for $2999.00. Just sayin… Good luck!
Old 21 July 2024, 04:45 PM   #36
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Definitely not a replica as nobody gives a crap about a 16753 bezel insert at this point, far as I know. I would buy it myself but moving and a divorce so really not at the top of priorities. I would definitely buy that but offer them $400. 30-day return policy so I would take them up on that and hope @Springer responds to this thread. He is without a doubt the guru on the GMT Master 1675 and 16750 reference. That said, IK have seen a simlar one selling for $2999.00. Just sayin… Good luck!
The insert looks genuine.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2024, 01:30 AM   #37
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

I'll keep it mind. Thanks for looking out.
Old 23 July 2024, 05:45 AM   #38
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

How does this one compare to the other one linked?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22610281219...N27A3C6VTJKTW9

Noticed the underside of one was brown and other is gold.

I think I'm ready to buy one. Do I need to purchase any additional hardware that my stock watch has and can't be reused?
Old 24 July 2024, 12:35 AM   #39
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

I spoke to my watchmaker and he also suggested that I need the 16753 insert for the acrylic versions and not sapphire. The eBay vendor for the link I provided says it's from the 90's but it will fit the acrylic 16753. So I assume this means it's a service bezel for the acrylic versions.

Any final advice before pulling the trigger on the eBay insert?

My watchmaker said it's a tricky job because sometimes bezels are dented or warped or inserts are dented/warped and then they don't fit well. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to prevent this issue other than crossing my fingers.
Old 24 July 2024, 01:54 AM   #40
TimeLord2

Quote:
I spoke to my watchmaker and he also suggested that I need the 16753 insert for the acrylic versions and not sapphire. The eBay vendor for the link I provided says it's from the 90's but it will fit the acrylic 16753. So I assume this means it's a service bezel for the acrylic versions.

My watchmaker said it's a tricky job because sometimes bezels are dented or warped or inserts are dented/warped and then they don't fit well. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to prevent this issue other than crossing my fingers.
Yes, the link I posted is for the acrylic version not sapphire. Have you seen Springer's write up on Bezel inserts? It is excellent. There is a clear difference between inserts for the Sapphire crystal compared to the acrylic. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=462474
Old 24 July 2024, 02:23 AM   #41
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Here it is.

It looks good but I’ve had one major issue. The bezel won’t rotate without a huge amount of force. I have to press both thumbs on top of the bezel insert then rotate and it’s not smooth. Vendor says this is normal and for it to free spin it would need the mechanism in the bezel to be modified.

This is what I’ve been told and so it’s all I know.

Any comments on this?

How does it look?

I have a vintage Rolex watchmaker in town and I was going to bring it to him to do the bezel insert replacement and perhaps he could fix it then or modify it.

I was expecting a nice smooth or clicky bezel rotation but it’s extremely firm and not clicky or smooth at all. I feel like I’m going to break something by rotating it.

Thanks
Old 24 July 2024, 02:30 AM   #42
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, the link I posted is for the acrylic version not sapphire. Have you seen Springer's write up on Bezel inserts? It is excellent. There is a clear difference between inserts for the Sapphire crystal compared to the acrylic. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=462474
Interesting. Deep rabbit hole that. The eBay one Springer said looked legit is shown with the updated sapphire GMT Master for reference. I asked the vendor if it will fit the acrylic 16753 but they have not replied.

The other eBay one I linked replied to me and said it would fit the 16753 acrylic. So I'm thinking of purchasing that one unless anyone sees anything wrong with the one I linked.

Here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22610281219...&segname=12052

The vendor says this about the measurements, "The insert outside diameter measures approx. 37.50mm, & the inside diameter measures approx. 30.50mm.". I see this differs from what's listed in Springer's bezel insert guide. Any thoughts on why this would measure differently or if it is within the acceptable range for a good fitment?

Should I wait and press the 1st vendor for additional information and pass on the 2nd? I want to make sure I get it right the first time. Measure twice cut once.
Old 24 July 2024, 02:36 AM   #43
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here it is.

It looks good but I’ve had one major issue. The bezel won’t rotate without a huge amount of force. I have to press both thumbs on top of the bezel insert then rotate and it’s not smooth. Vendor says this is normal and for it to free spin it would need the mechanism in the bezel to be modified.

This is what I’ve been told and so it’s all I know.

Any comments on this?

How does it look?

I have a vintage Rolex watchmaker in town and I was going to bring it to him to do the bezel insert replacement and perhaps he could fix it then or modify it.

I was expecting a nice smooth or clicky bezel rotation but it’s extremely firm and not clicky or smooth at all. I feel like I’m going to break something by rotating it.

Thanks
Looks great! And those were made with friction bezels. So you are supposed to push & rotate without clicks. Insert & dial look amazing!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 02:54 AM   #44
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Now I’m second guessing myself on every thing scrutinizing the watch.

Am I imagining things or is the gmt hand not keeping accurate time? It shows 12:48pm or so on hours and minutes but it shows 1:48pm on the GMT hand no?

I think I got a lemon. Waiting to hear back from vendor to see how they'd like to proceed. Will be 2nd time shipping it back due to error. Frustrating to say the least! Seems like zero effort was put into QA even though I asked several times for all these functions to be verified and tested before shipping to avoid...this situation.

*Vendor says to send it back and they will service it. This is the 3rd time I've requested the watch be inspected and that all functions verified working. SMH. People these days just don't care. They really don't care at all.
Old 24 July 2024, 04:03 AM   #45
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Now I’m second guessing myself on every thing scrutinizing the watch.

Am I imagining things or is the gmt hand not keeping accurate time? It shows 12:48pm or so on hours and minutes but it shows 1:48pm on the GMT hand no?
Yes, the GMT hand is wrong…

Quote:

I think I got a lemon. Waiting to hear back from vendor to see how they'd like to proceed. Will be 2nd time shipping it back due to error.

*Vendor says to send it back and they will service it. This is the 3rd time I've requested the watch be inspected and that all functions verified working.
FYI:
I’m not a fan of how high the date wheel is sitting in the date window. I’d have them look at it.

Quote:
I spoke to my watchmaker and he also suggested that I need the 16753 insert for the acrylic versions and not sapphire.
I actually thought the hand configuration with the hour hand first next to the dial was for sapphire crystals and not acrylic crystals. Not positive but just make sure.
Old 24 July 2024, 04:14 AM   #46
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Does your Rolex AD have a watchmaker? I work with my Rolex AD's watchmaker all the time. He's just as good as a RSC and I can talk through everything with him beforehand.

You should be able to get the insert replaced without need for a service. My AD watchmaker told me a service is not required to replace the crystal, caseback, and/or bezel/bezel assembly as they are not removing the hands or dial to do the work. I had the bezel assembly on my 16610 Submariner replaced and the crystal on my 114270 Explorer replaced without need for a service. It was surprisingly inexpensive (for Rolex anyway).

According to my AD's watchmaker, they have to send the replaced parts to Rolex, so you don't get them back. He also cannot replace a part with one that did not originally come with that specific model.

I would avoid ebay altogether for a bezel insert. There's just too many counterfeits out there. Upthread someone said they wouldn't make a counterfeit rootbeer bezel insert. I question that. They will fake anything Rolex. They make fake Casio F91W-1 watches that cost $22 new from Casio! The only way you know it's legit is if you get it from Rolex.
502 to Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 04:38 AM   #47
TimeToGo

Since you are being picky, crystal does not look right...
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:16 AM   #48
TimeLord2

Looks very nice including bezel insert and dial. Yes, GMT hand off by an hour. Would probably get a full service. Also could just be dirt under the bezel ring causing too much friction, and also no clicks on this one. As already stated, you press down to rotate as there is a slightly bent washer under the bezel ring. No small click armature like on later models. I like it! Those dials have tendency to turn into “lava”dials but yours looks great! Well played sir, I mean aside from the technical issues…
Old 24 July 2024, 05:42 AM   #49
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502 to Right View Post
Does your Rolex AD have a watchmaker? I work with my Rolex AD's watchmaker all the time. He's just as good as a RSC and I can talk through everything with him beforehand.

You should be able to get the insert replaced without need for a service. My AD watchmaker told me a service is not required to replace the crystal, caseback, and/or bezel/bezel assembly as they are not removing the hands or dial to do the work. I had the bezel assembly on my 16610 Submariner replaced and the crystal on my 114270 Explorer replaced without need for a service. It was surprisingly inexpensive (for Rolex anyway).

According to my AD's watchmaker, they have to send the replaced parts to Rolex, so you don't get them back. He also cannot replace a part with one that did not originally come with that specific model.

I would avoid ebay altogether for a bezel insert. There's just too many counterfeits out there. Upthread someone said they wouldn't make a counterfeit rootbeer bezel insert. I question that. They will fake anything Rolex. They make fake Casio F91W-1 watches that cost $22 new from Casio! The only way you know it's legit is if you get it from Rolex.
I don't live near my AD but they did say they would keep any parts I replace so I didn't want to go that route.
Old 24 July 2024, 05:43 AM   #50
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Since you are being picky, crystal does not look right...
How so? I was told it was genuine but polished acrylic.
Old 24 July 2024, 05:48 AM   #51
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks very nice including bezel insert and dial. Yes, GMT hand off by an hour. Would probably get a full service. Also could just be dirt under the bezel ring causing too much friction, and also no clicks on this one. As already stated, you press down to rotate as there is a slightly bent washer under the bezel ring. No small click armature like on later models. I like it! Those dials have tendency to turn into “lava”dials but yours looks great! Well played sir, I mean aside from the technical issues…
Thanks. I thought the dial and applique/handset were too good to be true because they look basically perfect. Lume doesn't work at all anymore which suggests genuine. Doesn't look bright white but period correct. No cracking or peeling anywhere.

I sent the watch back, again, they said they'd service it. Which probably means just a dude trying his best. I don't really have any faith anymore but willing to give them another try.

They said I should expect to receive it in about 2-3 weeks.

I do think it looks great. I actually wears really nicely too. It's smaller than I expected but Rolex always seem smaller in person than online photos. They included another link upon request which was nice.

I don't think they're really dishonest just lazy. They probably send out tons of watches to people who just open the box, look at it, take a photo for social media, then throw it in a safe. I'm one of those difficult customers that's checking all the functions and everything about it. I warned them that this is how I am though and that I am expecting a 100% genuine and functional watch with no issues aside from mild wear tear/age. So this isn't some type of surprise to them and I don't think I'm being overly difficult.
Old 24 July 2024, 05:50 AM   #52
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Couple more pics

*Timegrapher showed -.05s/day, 253 amplitude, 0.0ms beat error 28800 beatrate

They said it passed their pressure testing

I asked them to set the time before mailing it back to me. It was about a minute slow after roughly 2 days while being shipped but I'll do my own real world accuracy testing when the dust settles.
Old 27 July 2024, 01:45 AM   #53
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing new to update. Still given the ETA of 2 more weeks for service.

Called my local watchmaker and he said he'd swap bezel inserts for me if I bring it in. I'll let him also check it out for authenticity and condition and report back.

Still being patient! My original estimate was 2 weeks from order but now it's looking like a solid 4-5 weeks.

Fingers crossed they get it right this time!
Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM   #54
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

It’s back. It’s working. And it’s a beauty. I think I lucked out but I was very patient and persistent.

They did a service and a very light polish it seems. Looks great to me.

Fits great.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM   #55
bbgun
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice. Congrats.
bbgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #56
TimeLord2

I would say you got a winner there! Looks very nice!
Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM   #57
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
It’s back. It’s working. And it’s a beauty. I think I lucked out but I was very patient and persistent.

They did a service and a very light polish it seems. Looks great to me.

Fits great.

Just to confirm the dial is correct period for the watch - very much like like the brown service 1675/3 dials albeit (minus applied coronet), which go to a glossy blood red/wine/brown colour, which personally I love, keep on eye on the hr markers though they can spider around them in a yellow/brown as lacquer cracks if you are unlucky.... and the correct dials have a very central T between 28-29 and 31-32 minute markers, as yours has.
What a perfect waste of time....
My Sad Captains - ELBOW
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM   #58
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Very good. Thank you.

I know it'll get the red dial peeling and the lume will crumble away eventually. Just the nature of the beast. It will be a daily wear though and I'll be testing it's accuracy.