The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 July 2024, 10:53 AM   #1
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
So I impulse bought a 16753 today..

I thought about posting it on here, asking for advice, reaching out to experts for any tips and things to look for. Then I said screw it and pulled the trigger.

Huge gamble and leap of faith on my part but it had pretty much everything I was looking for and price was reasonable.

Should receive it in a couple of weeks and I'll post pics and first impressions.

This is one of the two watches I've always liked and wanted to buy since I got into watches. The 2nd is a blue dial Milgauss.

The 16753 will be my new daily wear as long as it's up to the task. Vendor said it was serviced and runs fine no issues. I will do real world testing when I receive it.

It was just something about the situation; I just went for it. Normally I pine and research and ask billions of questions. This is maybe the one time in my life I've just gone out on a limb with such a big purchase.

I just have this weird hunch that now was the time to buy and that C.E. may pass away very shortly. It was like the universe said now or never.

I'd love to know more details about it when it arrives if the experts would chime in. I know there's so many dial variants that I'm keen to know what I bought.

Vendor says all original and not recently polished, all original parts, original bracelet. The lume looks very clean to me though so I think it was replaced at some point. The bezel has some fade to it.

Are genuine Rolex two tone Rootbeer bezels available these days or are they mostly all gobbled up by collectors at this point? I love the dark gold yellow of new bezels but wouldn't want aftermarket.

Hype hype and awayyyyyyy. Now I just gotta not try to think about it for a couple of weeks.
Old 13 July 2024, 11:13 PM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Good luck! Who was the vendor? Someone with a good reputation? Or, better yet, someone well-known on this forum?
But, moreover, why two weeks? Even overseas purchases I’ve made in the past arrived within a couple days using FedEx or something similar.
Old 14 July 2024, 12:44 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Root beer bezel bezel inserts are readily available through dealers or members here on TRF or on several internet sites.

Good luck with the watch. Let's see some photos posted up here for everyone to enjoy.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2024, 03:52 AM   #4
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Congrats! Post some pics when it comes in! Cool watch!
Old 14 July 2024, 04:05 AM   #5
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

I gotta move some funds around before I can pay for it. Then it'll be shipped. Plus just did it Friday and nobody works on weekends so I figured it would be safe estimate 2 weeks. Maybe only 1 week!

The vendor did have a long history and good rating on Chrono24 and Google search reviews. They have a small brick and mortar and I talked to a few of their staff members including their watch repair man so it all seemed about as legit as can be expected for the situation.

I told them I wouldn't even haggle on price as long as everything was legit and I was treated well. That's much more important to me than getting a few bucks out of someone.

Oh I didn't know you could get new Rootbeer bezels. I miiiiight do that. Are you saying through my AD I can order one still? I thought they'd have run out of them years and years ago.

What should I take photos of? I was thinking the dial especially to see what version dial it was and if it all looked original and genuine. And I was going to photo the bracelet which I think had the H stamp which lined up with the story of it being a 1983.

Were these 14k or 18k? When did they switch to 18k?

I asked that they polish the acrylic and regulate it. They said it held up to pressure testing. I am going a lot on faith for sure.
Old 14 July 2024, 04:39 AM   #6
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Transitional GMT's are my favorite, quick set with a vintage feel. Post the link from Chrono 24 if you want it checked out before it ships to make sure everything is correct.

I think 84 was about when these went to 18K so yours should be 14K if it's 83, the band should be marked on the clasp.

I am sure I have some rootbeer bezels if you decide to look for one.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2024, 05:12 AM   #7
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Might as well send us a picture now.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2024, 05:18 AM   #8
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

The 16753 transition is very tricky. It seems like there were a lot of different parts and overlap years.

The ads aren't listed anymore so will have to wait for my photos.

I see a few bezels on Ebay but is there anyway to tell if they're genuine or is it such a small and generic piece that it would be impossible to determine authenticity?

How much would a very good but not like-new bezel cost?

It should have the 3075 with quickset.

I originally wanted the exact model Clint Eastwood had but after doing my research apparently nobody actually knows which variant he had. I had posted about this before. I believe he gave the watch to Bradley Cooper who then gave it to someone else I think. It's on a strap now somewhere. I wish we could find out more about it. I'm sure it'll end up at an auction one day and then we will learn the details.

They listed it as unpolished but I think it just hasn't been polished recently but was in the past. You guys can provide opinions on polishing damage when I share photos. Plenty of scratches and dings on it though. Bracelet looked very loose and vendor recommended not using Rolliworks to tighten it because it'll make it not genuine at that point and devalue it.

The oldest Rolex I've actually seen in person was a sub from the early 2000's so I'm sure when I first handle it it'll feel very old and vintage.
Old 14 July 2024, 05:44 AM   #9
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Some photos would be nice
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 01:52 AM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Do hope this works out fine, and the seller isn't a mountebank.
What a perfect waste of time....
My Sad Captains - ELBOW
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2024, 06:15 AM   #11
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Does anyone know if Andrew from https://gmtmaster1675.com/ is active on here or if there's a way to chat with him?

His website seems to be full of good info.

I was looking at the brown dial variants and noticed they stopped with a Mark 5 dial. The Mark 5 dial on the website shows a applied crown whereas the 16753 stopped using the applied crown around 1980ish.

Did they use the same dials from the Mark 5 onward all through the 80s just without the applied crown and would that be considered a Mark 6 or is there an entirely different set of dials for the printed crown versions that aren't listed on his website?
Old 15 July 2024, 07:48 AM   #12
Lininq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I gotta move some funds around before I can pay for it. Then it'll be shipped. Plus just did it Friday and nobody works on weekends so I figured it would be safe estimate 2 weeks. Maybe only 1 week!

The vendor did have a long history and good rating on Chrono24 and Google search reviews. They have a small brick and mortar and I talked to a few of their staff members including their watch repair man so it all seemed about as legit as can be expected for the situation.

I told them I wouldn't even haggle on price as long as everything was legit and I was treated well. That's much more important to me than getting a few bucks out of someone.

Oh I didn't know you could get new Rootbeer bezels. I miiiiight do that. Are you saying through my AD I can order one still? I thought they'd have run out of them years and years ago.

What should I take photos of? I was thinking the dial especially to see what version dial it was and if it all looked original and genuine. And I was going to photo the bracelet which I think had the H stamp which lined up with the story of it being a 1983.

Were these 14k or 18k? When did they switch to 18k?

I asked that they polish the acrylic and regulate it. They said it held up to pressure testing. I am going a lot on faith for sure.
Nah. 2 weeks is such a long time, it should take a couple of days. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Lininq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:11 AM   #13
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Does anyone know if Andrew from https://gmtmaster1675.com/ is active on here or if there's a way to chat with him?

His website seems to be full of good info.

I was looking at the brown dial variants and noticed they stopped with a Mark 5 dial. The Mark 5 dial on the website shows a applied crown whereas the 16753 stopped using the applied crown around 1980ish.

Did they use the same dials from the Mark 5 onward all through the 80s just without the applied crown and would that be considered a Mark 6 or is there an entirely different set of dials for the printed crown versions that aren't listed on his website?
Andrew is very good at communication and will get back to you if you post a message to his site. https://gmtmaster1675.com/contact/ He's a nice guy and definitely knows his stuff.

Yes, you can get a new bezel insert from Rolex. They are not like the older version with the oval "8" but they are quite vibrant. This would be a new one that you can purchase from Rolex for about $80 but they may insist on installing for another fee. https://www.ebay.com/itm/276278954912

Sometimes ridiculous what people are asking for on EBAY and sometimes a good deal. Could go either way. Got this one for about $156. It is a 1675/3 not a 16753. Congratulations on your purchase. Looking forward to some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6597_s.jpg (207.8 KB, 520 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 03:35 AM   #14
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the info. When I learn more I may reach out.

I'd be totally fine paying those numbers. Ebay numbers are like $500.

I'm not super picky about the font on 8 or how old the bezel is. I just want it to be genuine and have that nice rich dark gold color and not the faded aluminum yellow. I'd keep the old bezel for sure.

I'm an FSU fan and like the, "Sunday Golds" livery.

Old 16 July 2024, 06:00 AM   #15
TimeLord2

Been wearing mine with a new one. I think this is what you are looking for. Definitely purchase through Rolex AD as EBAY is about 3x as much like you said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5993_s.jpg (163.1 KB, 508 views)
Old 16 July 2024, 06:09 AM   #16
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Looks good. I'll ask my AD but they've traditionally been very strict about these types of things. I tried to get a replacement bracelet in the past for an OP and they said no because it wasn't the style that came with the watch.

Your lume looks really fresh for a raised applique crown dial. Pre-1980s watch with a replacement dial?
Old 16 July 2024, 06:29 AM   #17
TimeLord2

Quote:
Looks good. I'll ask my AD but they've traditionally been very strict about these types of things. I tried to get a replacement bracelet in the past for an OP and they said no because it wasn't the style that came with the watch.

Your lume looks really fresh for a raised applique crown dial. Pre-1980s watch with a replacement dial?
If you are getting the brown face root beer then this is the right insert for your watch. What they would not sell me was the all brown insert with gold numerals. That one I did purchase on EBAY from someone in Italy for $120. A little less than purchasing from Rolex, and having them remove the old one (which I kept ) and installing the new one, which is what they insisted I had to do.

No, it's all original. I had it serviced by Phillip ridley about 3 years ago after it was sitting in a drawer for about 20 years. The lume was definitely a creamy yellowish patina then but since I have been wearing it non-stop the plots and hands have bleached white again in the California sun. This was me when I joined the forum to decide what to do with this watch. You can see the difference in the color of the plots and hands: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=660036
Old 16 July 2024, 06:34 AM   #18
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Ah I see. Never heard of sun bleaching lume before. I've seen a lot of Rootbeers in my search and they're either dark yellow and crumbling apart or bright white new. I actually prefer it to be new and fresh but not when it's mismatched between the dial and hands.

It'll be a daily wear for me so I don't want to just rattle the lume to bits if I can help it.
Old 16 July 2024, 07:56 AM   #19
TimeLord2

Quote:
Ah I see. Never heard of sun bleaching lume before. I've seen a lot of Rootbeers in my search and they're either dark yellow and crumbling apart or bright white new. I actually prefer it to be new and fresh but not when it's mismatched between the dial and hands.

It'll be a daily wear for me so I don't want to just rattle the lume to bits if I can help it.
There have been a few posts saying the same about the bleaching. I can report it is true. It was nice with a creamy patina and I suppose if it goes back in a drawer for a while it may darken again. When Philip serviced the watch I also had him stabilize the lume in the hands as there were a few small cracks in the minute and hour hand. As I understand it, the agent is applied from the backside so does not effect the color. I do wish mine had a quickset date like the 16750-series but I can live with it as long as I don't take it off.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:02 AM   #20
Brit78
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the impulse buy of the 16753! Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Sounds like you found a great piece that fits what you've been looking for.
Old 16 July 2024, 08:44 AM   #21
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

I had been shopping for one for about 4 years so when the opportunity arose I jumped on it.

I believe the major differences from 1675 and 16753 are the quickset date and slightly different GMT function, plus any other upgrades.

Is yours 14k? Mine was confirmed 18k today. It was labeled on the inner clasp.
Old 17 July 2024, 02:07 AM   #22
TimeLord2

Minie is definitely 14K, bracelet is an American oval link. Yes, you should have quickset date but I don't think the ability to set the GMT hand or hour hand independently. As far as dial being replaced, you should post some pics. Your dial should still have T SWISS T at the bottom and if 1980-1984 nipple dial, if I am not mistaken. It should also have a sunburst effect, not the matt dial as on the 1675. And I do think the "Clint Eastwood" was an early 16753 (1980-1981) just for the record. Hahahahaha!

This page needs more pictures! Post em people!

An interesting short article: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...root-beer.html
Old 17 July 2024, 09:17 AM   #23
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Minie is definitely 14K, bracelet is an American oval link. Yes, you should have quickset date but I don't think the ability to set the GMT hand or hour hand independently. As far as dial being replaced, you should post some pics. Your dial should still have T SWISS T at the bottom and if 1980-1984 nipple dial, if I am not mistaken. It should also have a sunburst effect, not the matt dial as on the 1675. And I do think the "Clint Eastwood" was an early 16753 (1980-1981) just for the record. Hahahahaha!

This page needs more pictures! Post em people!

An interesting short article: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...root-beer.html
Actually, the GMT 16750/16753 came out during 1979. Serial numbers can be found as early as 6.1 million.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 10:28 AM   #24
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Actually, the GMT 16750/16753 came out during 1979. Serial numbers can be found as early as 6.1 million.
And I was mistaken… Thanks for the correction Springer! You are a font of GMT wisdom.
Old 17 July 2024, 10:34 AM   #25
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Wow! Tiffany stamped 1675/3! Gorgeous!!!!

PS. Nice nipples ;P
Old 17 July 2024, 11:56 AM   #26
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

I've seen Tiffany dial Rootbeers on Chrono24 they seemed to command about a 50% premium over the standard versions. Pretty cool. I wanted as close to a C.E. as possible while still being a 1983 production year.
Old 18 July 2024, 01:53 AM   #27
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Wow! Tiffany stamped 1675/3! Gorgeous!!!!

PS. Nice nipples ;P
Thanks, it was my dad's. He gave it to me shortly after I graduated college in 1989.
Old 20 July 2024, 12:46 AM   #28
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Vendor had to repair a bezel clip or something so still waiting. Hopefully by next week!
Old 20 July 2024, 03:39 AM   #29
TimeToGo

Interesting, bezel clip..

Do you have a picture of the watch from the dealer?!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2024, 09:26 AM   #30
TimeLord2

This on EBAY right now at an excellent price. Looks really nice and potentially period appropriate for your 16753 I think. Springer would have the last word on that TBH. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25654188417