The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 July 2024, 01:21 AM   #61
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George H. View Post
I have 1 Rolex and my wife has 1 Rolex. I may buy another but the problem for me is I do not wear my Rolex that much as is. I own rental property and I am a teacher. So my profession does not warrant wearing a $13,000 watch. I usually wear it when not working or at nice events.
Astute point. Another reason I cut back on wearing more expensive watches in the workplace - when I was more junior the watches were sort of an identity thing. Then as you rise up into leadership roles, it's really not that great of a look anymore.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 01:23 AM   #62
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY-WATCH View Post
I agree with the concept, and the watch model / configuration
BUT
1-Modern Sub isn’t that comfortable sitting on the wrist specially old/retirement wrist
2-Also very big crown that dings in the hand
Fortunately I'm not "old" and the Sub fits amazingly! I have multiple Subs/maxi case watches and for some reason the Sub Date 41 fits perfectly and I also love the refined lugs.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:23 AM   #63
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Makes perfect sense.

I think it's a natural progression in life to want to simplify and not fuss over things we've been trained to obsess over our entire lives.
It's amazing how much mental real estate this takes up and is actually fairly non-productive stress IMO.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:24 AM   #64
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky1 View Post
Im with above.

It clarifies and calms the brain when you get rid of the superfluous. A few years ago some psychologists report in Scandewegia found that minimalist
Interior and exterior housing design lead to a more stress free life-clutter
Gives humans anxiety evidentally. I would never call a Rolex clutter but you get my drift.
This is absolutely true
Old 17 July 2024, 01:25 AM   #65
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I did the exact same thing, which is why i wasn’t around here much over the last few years. I sold all of my watches. Turns out more of a depression issue, got that worked out and now I’m back after a lot of therapy . But i completely understand where you’re coming from. My wife said i was happier when we were broke, that was the turning point.

I went through a stage of finally feeling like i could get all of the things i wanted from my childhood. Started buying stacks of shoes and clothes, none of it made me any happier. If anything, i was less happy with the stuff.

I bought the original 214270 and hated the 3,6,9 indicators any tiny hands. So when the new 40mm came out, i was back in. Now im focused on collecting a bit differently than i did before. My wife bought me the BB58 gmt recently to celebrate 5 years at work. That’s a watch i had been hoping Tudor would make since the original bb58, and she surprised me with it, so that’s pretty special.

Pairing down feels nice sometimes. Best of luck with everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear all of this and thank you for sharing. I'm glad you are doing better! Funny thing sometimes about finally getting what you always wanted....
Old 17 July 2024, 01:26 AM   #66
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
When you wear one, you immediately think about wearing one of the other ones. The best moment of pleasure one gets is when one finds the perfect watch and perhaps one or 2 days of wearing it thereafter. Then the peak is gone. I guess there is some satisfaction to be had when one gets rid of it later.

So altogether not a very sensible way to go about things. I really wish I had just kept only the 16030 I bought myself for my 30th birthday instead of buying, selling and swapping a whole bunch of Rolexes.
This is completely accurate. You put one on, wear it for a couple of days, then immediately start rotating in your mind to which next one can I wear.
Old 17 July 2024, 01:56 AM   #67
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

But of course, comes down to preference, but for me less is more.
Old 17 July 2024, 02:03 AM   #68
chrissimons
"TRF" Member

Interesting discussion :-)
chrissimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 02:09 AM   #69
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
My sweet spot is always to have a small number of nice things every time. Clothes, watches, cars, bikes, holidays, food - everything. Maximises use and enjoyment and minimises hassle of maintenance, insurance, storage, cost, security etc.

Admittedly, I’m too poor to have suffered the burden of having a large number of nice things but I agree with your end goal!
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 03:26 AM   #70
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Yes…. A recent acquisition has got me to a point when I really only wear three of them.
A field watch and diver to split daily wear and allow me some variety and a special occasion piece for time when I want to wear something different to the daily sporty pieces.

Everything else of values will likely get sold off in the next 6 months and I will likely just hand into some low value vintage pieces that I barely wear but enjoy owning.

I struggle with the idea of a large collection of unworn pieces so to me your rational makes total sense
matthew P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 04:55 AM   #71
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
That’s part of the reason I like simple three hand watches with no dates. Nice and simple - minimum fuss.

Similarly I’ve recently moved away from buying and wearing designer clothing with prominent logos. Much prefer plain simple, classic clothes now.

My oldest son will not wear clothing with logos. Me? I like logos. Love that crown at the top of my dials. Also, to OP, I get it. I am thinning the herd. Sold 30 watches in the past few months. Only about 60 more to go….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 07:09 AM   #72
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Good to downsize if you don't eventually start buying them back.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 08:43 AM   #73
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

This thread reminded me that when the 3rd gen VC Overseas was released in 2016, I resolved to get one one day as my exit watch from the hobby because it's essentially 3 watches in one that covers everything. I finally got one earlier this year, but still haven't been able to get down to just that watch. Plus I couldn't post here anymore without a Rolex.

Speaking of Rolex, this thread also inspired me to put my 126610 back on. Always reminded how awesome a Sub is when I put one on. It's such a "wear it and forget it" watch in the best way. How ubiquitious it is and how common I see people wearing one (or a similar looking homage) is sometimes a turn-off, but otoh it makes me feel a lot more comfortable wearing it around because it does kind of blend in these days, as far as luxury watches go.

I just forget about it on my wrist in a way I can't quite get my 116500 to do.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 08:55 AM   #74
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

I did this recently, got my collection down to 5 and spun off 4 cars. It's quite nice to have less choice and weight (by gross vehicle tonnage). I still want 2 more cars and one watch gone.
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 10:46 AM   #75
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysky1 View Post
To each his own
Yeah, I guess this is where I'm at with watches (have 10 rolex and 2 others currently). I see no reason to thin the herd at this point (or any point in the future - kids will get them and they are worth more than what I paid). That said, simplifying a lot in other areas does make sense to me. That started 3 yrs ago when we downsized into a condo - and there is more to do still (will do more over this coming winter). But hey, do what make sense for your situation
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 10:47 AM   #76
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
This is completely accurate. You put one on, wear it for a couple of days, then immediately start rotating in your mind to which next one can I wear.
yep, this is so true
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 10:52 AM   #77
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Good to downsize if you don't eventually start buying them back.

I hear that. I have 2 enroute, and waiting on a call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2024, 11:10 AM   #78
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I have considered trimming my collection. I have been up to 19 and am currently at 15. I look to retire in the next 3 years, selling my practice and beginning my travels. I absolutely love Rolex watches but as I have gotten older, the more I realize that in the end they are just watches. I will pare down my collection and save some for my sons in the future but for now, I will enjoy them daily. They really do bring me happiness. LOL.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2024, 12:42 AM   #79
JSol1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I think of this often. I have the watches I’ve coveted and I’ll stare at my collection and say ‘which one’ should go. It’s a double edged sword for me, I truly enjoy the pieces I have, but I’ve always been an analysis paralysis type person when it comes to what to wear (clothes, shoes, watches) and makes my brain hurt. Problem is I can’t pick one to get rid of, so for now I’m just not adding.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote