The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2024, 06:25 AM   #1
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Thin collection to simplify life?

Hi all-

I have been collecting primarily Rolex for 30+ years and have been fortunate to own some very special pieces. However, about 2 years ago when it felt like I was buying somewhat indiscriminately (presumably because I was still swept up in post-Covid craziness) I did what I once thought unthinkable - bought a SS Sub Date - because it was too "plain" and "commonplace." Since then, it has become my favorite go-to watch, especially when I'm having a hard or frustrating day, because the watch literally needs no fussiness or special care and is extremely reliable. Has a date (unlike my Daytonas), lightweight (unlike my PMs), brushed bracelet minimizes scratches, travels incredibly well, goes with any clothing, easy to clean (unlike OF with the underside fins), is generally not too flashy, and is for-sure my nomination for best GADA watch.

With that said, I've been toying with the idea of selling most (or all?) of my watches and just dropping down to this Sub, with the goal of simplifying my life and headspace. In the same vein, I've been thinking about selling most of my cars too except for maybe a single SUV and a sports car, because the flashiness and worry about scratches, etc. just isn't fun anymore. Right now I'm valuing practicality, safety and simplicity.

None of this is to say that I don't love all my watches or that they don't all bring a smile to my face (they do). But at this point in my life, being quasi-retired, I'm taking a lower key approach (especially with big city crime, which just isn't worth it) and expensive watches like this don't play into my self-identity like they once did when I was working in an office and regularly dealing with commercial counterparts who are also into watches.

I've also noticed when I travel, I agonize over which watches to bring with me so I always have the perfect watch at meetings or dinners. But then when it comes time to switch out, I just go with the Sub because inevitably I'm wearing long sleeves or it's too dark to even see what I'm wearing.

Apologies for the story, but just curious if anyone else is also taking a step back after years of frenzied collecting and evaluating something similar.

Best to all.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:34 AM   #2
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

That’s part of the reason I like simple three hand watches with no dates. Nice and simple - minimum fuss.

Similarly I’ve recently moved away from buying and wearing designer clothing with prominent logos. Much prefer plain simple, classic clothes now.
Shadow Play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:37 AM   #3
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a plan. You do you. I’ve thought about it before, I just don’t feel that bloated with watches at the moment.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:40 AM   #4
exp90
"TRF" Member

A lot to be said for a simpler life - less stress etc. If it gives you peace of mind, I doubt its the wrong decision.
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:47 AM   #5
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
FWIW, I recently thinned down substantially, eliminating most ‘flashy’ and popular models of today. It just wasn’t fun to have so much brain real estate dedicated toward watches. Also I don’t want to be associated with the cast of characters that seem to be heavily into watches nowadays. I now have a simple, rotatable collection in my house of a Rolex OP, Rolex Explorer 36, and Cartier Tank. I really, really enjoy it, and would recommend to anyone feeling the same.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 06:53 AM   #6
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I think about doing this all the time but can't seem to part with most of my Rolexes. Once I retire or get close to retirement, I will definitely sell off a few.
Old 16 July 2024, 06:59 AM   #7
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I'm approaching your point in life (plan on selling the business in about 2-3 years and figuring I'll need to stay on board for another 18 months).

At my worse point I was over 70 pieces (3 safe deposit boxes + a vault). I'm down to the 50s now by trading lower priced pieces for higher priced / rarer pieces.

It became work / time consuming to get to the banks to check on them (wind). But I plan to keep the vintage pieces I've owned for more than 25 years because back then I didn't have the resources to buy at will. Each were acquired to mark a point in life after saving.

Rampant crime in my area has led me to realize I shouldn't wear PM pieces so I'll be likely selling those types (except whit gold).

I basically grab /rotate 3 pieces every 2 to 4 weeks. To wear that only includes 1 vintage (weekend), 1 modern (daily), and 1 white gold (meetings/events).
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:02 AM   #8
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I retired end of 2019. Sold all my watches except for 8 Rolex & 1 Tudor.
They are my favorite watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2024, 07:02 AM   #9
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

All really great feedback!
Old 16 July 2024, 07:07 AM   #10
rockysw
"TRF" Member

simple life is better life in my view. Honestly, at times I just want to be done with this hobby (or whatever you want to call it); there are much more interesting and perhaps better things one can do with the same time in life.

Just yesterday I bought a G-Shock GA2100 (black with white/grey hour markers) with a similar idea to replace my Sub LV as daily. And I am loving it so far and dont even miss my rolex but its been only one day. Previous such attempts to move away from watches have failed but lets see if this time it is any different.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:08 AM   #11
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I sold half my collection in 2022 - the reason was someone asked me what watches I had and I couldn't remember half. Don't miss them.
Old 16 July 2024, 07:08 AM   #12
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
I am down to 4. If I find a nice 16718, I will probably get rid of the 16713 and 16613, and be down to 3. Less would be difficult although I wish I would have stuck to just one for ever as I did originally for 25 years.
Old 16 July 2024, 07:11 AM   #13
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
I am down to 4. If I find a nice 16718, I will probably get rid of the 16713 and 16613, and be down to 3. Less would be difficult although I wish I would have stuck to just one for ever as I did originally for 25 years.
That's an interesting point. I only had 2-3 for a long, long time and then at some point it became acceptable (normal?) to have many. FOMO I guess.
Old 16 July 2024, 07:12 AM   #14
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
simple life is better life in my view. Honestly, at times I just want to be done with this hobby (or whatever you want to call it); there are much more interesting and perhaps better things one can do with the same time in life.

Just yesterday I bought a G-Shock GA2100 (black with white/grey hour markers) with a similar idea to replace my Sub LV as daily. And I am loving it so far and dont even miss my rolex but its been only one day. Previous such attempts to move away from watches have failed but lets see if this time it is any different.
With all the games to deal with and related crime in recent years have led me to consider liquidating almost everything and pursue a new hobby.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:20 AM   #15
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

It's clear to me that I used to buy to wear and enjoy. At some point however it just became about acquiring, having and dare I say hoarding?? Most of my purchases were made grey because I was never very successful at buying from ADs regardless of what I did, bought or told them. Probably wasn't helpful that Youtube people were pushing "collections" at that time too.
Old 16 July 2024, 07:35 AM   #16
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I retired end of 2019. Sold all my watches except for 8 Rolex & 1 Tudor.
They are my favorite watches.

Please ping me if you ever sell one of your Explorer IIs, my dream piece
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:43 AM   #17
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I literally just did this.
I sold all my watches, with the exception of a 36mm Explorer, an 1861 Hesalite Speedie, my recently acquired Kith Heuer and I added a 14060M.
It felt liberating and truth be told, I’ve only been wearing the Sub and could quite happily just live with this watch.
Watch collecting is fun and I still love all the beauty, interest and design of all watches, but I’d just wanted to simplify things and see what it was like just living with a few watches.
And honestly, right now I think I could just live with a plain Jane Sub and admire other watches from a distance
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:51 AM   #18
slide13
"TRF" Member

I'm ideally a one watch guy. I don't really like collecting and I romanticize having just one good quality watch that I wake up and put on every single morning. I don't always live that ideal, but I always seem to find my way working back towards it.

Right now I have 3 watches. One is definitely going to go up for sale (BB58). The other two I really like a lot and have trouble pairing down but probably will eventually. They're a Sub Date (126610) and a black FXD.

The Sub has always been my idea of the perfect single watch. The FXD is very sub-like in how it wears and feels, just on a nato. I love the FXD and wear it a lot because I find natos comfortable. But they're just not as versatile and ever appropriate like a good metal bracelet. For that reason, it may eventually go too but that one will hurt. But I always find myself the happiest and most content with just a single good watch....and I can't think of a better one for my tastes then a Sub Date.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 07:59 AM   #19
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I made a shift a couple years ago and I’m happier for it. I off loaded a few and may let a couple more go. 5-6 is about my max.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:04 AM   #20
Charlie3755
"TRF" Member

Your story really resonates, and it sounds like you’ve given this a lot of thought. The SS Sub Date is such a versatile and reliable piece, and it makes sense that it’s become your go-to. Simplifying your collection could indeed bring a lot of peace and practicality.
Charlie3755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:06 AM   #21
MrAtomic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700 GMT II
Chronolex, thanks for making this post.

This afternoon I shipped off my 1665 Sea-Dweller. I wanted one for so long and it was the most beguiling watch I've ever held -- the faded maxi hour markers, the faded bezel, that incredible domed crystal...

But I have a physical disability and was always worried that I'd clang that beautiful acrylic crystal off a door frame or a countertop. And the watch was heavy. And it turns out I miss having a quick-set date function.

After months of just staring at the Sea-Dweller on my desk, and not on my wrist, I realized it was bringing me anxiety and not joy.

In the past few years I've sold 4-5 other watches that I wasn't wearing too often. And it felt great. Still does. I like looking in my watch case and seeing lots of blank space. It means I'm less of a watch collector, and more a person that savors the watches he owns.

And the biggest plus? I wear my 16700 GMT every day and keep finding new reasons to stare at it. It's my watch. I put it on a NATO, I put it on a jubilee, I change the bezel from Coke to black... there's plenty to do with it.

I still have a few others I'll probably keep, with my Sinn EZM-1 at the top of the list. But I'm also sure I could sell most of them and be really happy with my GMT and the 1970 Cellini my father left me when he died.

And full disclosure: there are a couple of modern Rolexes I'd try if given the chance, so don't think I've gone totally hippie-dippie. But I'd sell one before buying one.

At any rate, maybe try selling one watch and see how it makes you feel?
MrAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:09 AM   #22
daysky1
"TRF" Member

To each his own
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:32 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I get your line of thinking and have started to slim down a lot of things I used to buy without hesitation. It’s sort of freeing in a sense, not having all this excess stuff.

That said, I could never be a one watch guy, but I have trimmed down to three and couldn’t be happier.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:35 AM   #24
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
The Sub Date is one of the best at being an only watch. Give it a shot and see if you like it, you can always buy them back. If you pare down the collection back to 2-3, you can move pieces in and out.

My personal ideal ratio is 3 watches, 2 cars, and 1 house
prnceofpersia23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:37 AM   #25
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

I always add deliberately and sometimes strongly reconsider things I previously sought to add. That deliberation up-front means it is rare for me to consider “trimming” collections - I rarely have anything I’d want to trim.

I think if I’d ever added things impulsively it would be different. If you don’t feel like certain things “sing” to you any longer, why not trim one by one? Pruning may be all that is required.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 08:50 AM   #26
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I have one watch.. a Sub date .. very happy
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:05 AM   #27
Starhutch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: PROBLEM
Like you I acquired more of a daily last year that has made my normal rotations and established itself as my go to travel watch. With that said, pulled out my Daytona this weekend for a night out and I started a new love affair. All of my pieces represent milestones or special remembrances in my life. Give it some time, possibly you will find like me they aren’t going anywhere.
Starhutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:11 AM   #28
DLCU2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Go Broke
What’s in your collection <both watches and cars>? ��
Old 16 July 2024, 09:13 AM   #29
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
That’s part of the reason I like simple three hand watches with no dates. Nice and simple - minimum fuss.

Similarly I’ve recently moved away from buying and wearing designer clothing with prominent logos. Much prefer plain simple, classic clothes now.
I agree. Wind, set the time and wear. I can't be bothered setting the date.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2024, 09:24 AM   #30
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
I agree. Wind, set the time and wear. I can't be bothered setting the date.
OTOH, if one is contemplating going with just one watch (as the OP seems to be doing), setting the date is pretty much a once every 2 months affair and you would almost never have to wind.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote