The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2019, 07:45 PM   #1
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Aquanaut Date Oddity...

So I serviced my trusty 5066a about two years ago after the rotor fell off (yes, I don't quite know how that happened either), and now after relatively daily wear it's decided that midnight is actually at approximately 6AM, and the date jumps just as I'm getting out of bed. I'd like to think it's cos the watch is waking up too, but who am I kidding, it's just really irritating.

I've been trying to get my head around how, mechanically, this could even happen, but I've hit a blank. Anyone else had this happen or want to hazard a guess (while I try and find the time to take the watch to PP Service in the West End)? Can't say I'm particularly happy about this so soon after the last major overhaul...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:04 PM   #2
MilesB
"TRF" Member

That sounds weird. Does the date change at 6AM when you're manually winding it? Sounds like you'll have to bring it in.
MilesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:16 PM   #3
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
That sounds weird. Does the date change at 6AM when you're manually winding it? Sounds like you'll have to bring it in.
I thought it might be something to do with the power reserve (I wear the 5066a as a daily stealth beater, so it is regularly, but not continuously on my wrist), but I wound it fully and it still jumps at 6AM irrespective of whether I'm manually changing the time, or if it's running normally.

Very odd.
Old 10 October 2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Cryten
"TRF" Member

The hour hand has probably slipped. It's a friction fit.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 11:02 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

^
Plausible, but that’d be one hell of a slip, even if in stages over a period of time, not to mention why it would have.
I’d be more inclined to surmise that it’s stiction within the datewheel gearing (we know the 324 can have a sticking datewheel issue), and it’s this which has “stuck” a few times, releasing at some point, to where it’s now 6 hours behind.
Either way, it’s going to need looked at and remedied.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:00 AM   #6
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Plausible, but that’d be one hell of a slip, even if in stages over a period of time, not to mention why it would have.
I’d be more inclined to surmise that it’s stiction within the datewheel gearing (we know the 324 can have a sticking datewheel issue), and it’s this which has “stuck” a few times, releasing at some point, to where it’s now 6 hours behind.
Either way, it’s going to need looked at and remedied.
Thanks for that. Seems plausible. The watch has been relatively babied since the last service (a BLNR has taken over much of the heavy lifting), so after twenty years with no slippage, the slip explanation seems a bit far fetched.

Anyway, I’ll keep the thread posted about what they find.