The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2006, 01:19 PM   #1
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Very big dilema...

Well, Ive run into a little bit of a dilema. My local AD called me yesterday and just received a kermit sub. I told him no thanks, my interest in that watch has subsided. I did ask however, if he had any vintage stock come through, and believe it or not, a 2.8 mil serial Red Sub is for sale on consigment. This is my dream watch, and represents my birth year, 1969. They are asking $7500, which seems a bit high, but Im no expert. The watch just came back from service and is exquisite. The timing on this really sucks becasue I just plopped down $5K for my wifes new DJ, and additional funds are tied up. Anyway, I guess Im just rambling. If anyone has suggestions or input on the asking price, feel free to chime in.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2006, 02:08 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

That is one amazing watch. I do hope all goes well for you with it
Old 9 August 2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
See if they will hold it for you with a sizeable downpayment.
These don't come along very often.
Pay for it over "time" and let them hold it until it's 100% paid up.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2006, 05:13 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good luck over the final outcome, pal!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The Red Sub is one beautiful watch. Launch Mini's idea is a great one. The worst the AD will say is no.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2006, 07:34 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes agree genuine Red subs are now at a premium price,and getting harder to find,the deposit option would be great if AD agrees.And IMO would hold its price far better than any modern day model.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2006, 09:24 PM   #7
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
That is a really difficult situation, especially with a rare and beautiful watch like the red sub. However I believe I have the perfect solution.

Since you just recently purchased your wife the DJ, you simply have to tell her that her new Rolex makes her look a little heavy and within seconds that will free up at least $5000
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2006, 12:17 AM   #8
GMTIIPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
That is a really difficult situation, especially with a rare and beautiful watch like the red sub. However I believe I have the perfect solution.

Since you just recently purchased your wife the DJ, you simply have to tell her that her new Rolex makes her look a little heavy and within seconds that will free up at least $5000
Now that is some good advice. Although it could go the other way and end up costing me more in the divorce settlement.

Thanks for everyones input. I guess if I were to look at this as an investment it would be a no-brainer, I could pull the money out of the market. Problem is, as my wife pointed out, I would never sell it. So is a watch that is never sold really an investment. I guess I could have worse problems than trying to figure out how to buy another Rolex.
Old 10 August 2006, 03:15 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIPilot View Post
Now that is some good advice. Although it could go the other way and end up costing me more in the divorce settlement.

Thanks for everyones input. I guess if I were to look at this as an investment it would be a no-brainer, I could pull the money out of the market. Problem is, as my wife pointed out, I would never sell it. So is a watch that is never sold really an investment. I guess I could have worse problems than trying to figure out how to buy another Rolex.
I've got a proposal for you, Pete. I'll lend you the money, and then I'll keep the watch as collateral until it gets paid off. I only charge 10% interest on the remaining balance. How's that for a deal?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2006, 05:16 AM   #10
GMTIIPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I've got a proposal for you, Pete. I'll lend you the money, and then I'll keep the watch as collateral until it gets paid off. I only charge 10% interest on the remaining balance. How's that for a deal?
Well, assuming your being serious, Thanks. That is a kind gesture. My plan today is to go down to the AD, hold the watch and see if it truely is calling, and if so, just take the cash from my stock investments (which suck right now anyway). Ill update tomorrow after holding this watch in my own two hands.

One last question, does anyone have input as to whether $7500 is fair?
Old 10 August 2006, 08:29 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, a lot of the value depends on the condition of the watch.
With a 2.8 mil ser. no. the watch would date to circa 1970 or so(a little either way).

Things to look for--does the dial read meters or feet first. Meters first makes the watch more desireable and usually indicates an older piece. With that number a feet first should have open sixes.

This is mine that carries a 2.5 number with a case back reading the first quater of 1970
This is open 6s non-hacking, non quick set,

Does the dial look clean with matching hands? Is the tritium flaking in any spot? Is there ANY pitting on the hands? What kind of bracelet is on the watch.

If orginal I think the watch will have a 7206 riveted bracelet with either 60 of 80 end links.
If an old replacement look for a folded 9315 with 280 end links.
If newer 93150 with 580 end links.

The watch may or may not hack. circa 70-71 was the change over, but that's not set in stone.

I've seen recent examples in nice condition around mid 6K. Prices seem to be going up. Understand on consignment the dealer is getting probably 20%. so money to the seller is about right. With the watch being recently serviced that saves you on that cost----PROVIDED---geninue Rolex parts were used.
Get the service on paper. Documentation is important on watches like this.

Usually on a consignment the seller builds a bit of fudge factor into the price.
Try 10%--who knows. Make an offer and have the seller contact the owner and see what happens.
Good luck!! Reds are in demand and if a good one comes along.....
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2006, 06:37 AM   #12
GMTIIPilot

Hey Mike, thanks for all the detailed info.
I went to the AD and the watch is non-quickset, but has the hacking feature.
The oyster bracelet is the 93150, so most likely a replacement, but in good shape. There are no papers or box, but the watch was serviced by Rolex 6 months ago, with the paper work from that. I have talked them down to $6K, but without box and papers, I thought I would just throw one more query to the forum for advice.
Thanks.

Pete
Old 11 August 2006, 08:07 AM   #13
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTIIPilot View Post
Hey Mike, thanks for all the detailed info.
I went to the AD and the watch is non-quickset, but has the hacking feature.
The oyster bracelet is the 93150, so most likely a replacement, but in good shape. There are no papers or box, but the watch was serviced by Rolex 6 months ago, with the paper work from that. I have talked them down to $6K, but without box and papers, I thought I would just throw one more query to the forum for advice.
Thanks.

Pete
Don't worry about the papers, Pete. The warranty ran out a long time ago. If you're getting from an AD and it's been recently serviced, that's not a bad price for that vintage piece.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2006, 08:38 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Service paperwork from Rolex is all you need to authenticate the watch.

The watch will have all Rolex parts and six months left on the warrentee.

At a price of 6k, and it looks good----BUY IT!!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote