The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2019, 09:06 PM   #1
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16610LV
Hong Kong AD advice

Hi All,

Although there are a lot of ADs in Hong Kong, most are part of two or three big chains, and most of them are whale hunters. Most displays only have diamond encrusted bling that is of no interest to me.

While I don't expect to walk into an AD and see a sea of professional watches, my question to the group is: Do any of you know of an AD in Hong Kong that is worth visiting if you are a normal HKer as opposed to those who have a driver waiting outside in an El Grande, or a man bag wearing guest from the north?

Actually, if anyone has the full list of AD chains in HK that would probably help. I know Chow Tai Fook, Emperor, and Dicksons are three of them; but I can think of one or two more.
HK852GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 09:11 PM   #2
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
There are so many of them. None worth the trouble. Some can be pleasant if you’re after tea.

Go grey...
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 09:16 PM   #3
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
The sea you will see is the sports dead sea....
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Better to go to grey dealers in Hong Kong,there are many,like Ken’s watches who have many branches in Kowloon,Mong Kok,Central etc
You will find anything you want.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 10:04 PM   #5
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK852GMT View Post
Hi All, Although there are a lot of ADs in Hong Kong, most are ...
I pass through Hong Kong about eight times a year for past 4 years... Forget it!
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 10:53 PM   #6
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Forget about ADs unless you have a history with them. You won’t get a sub date at msrp without first spending HKD200k+
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 11:40 PM   #7
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
HK AD's although plentiful are a joke when it comes to Rolex that are sort after.

My friend recently got a hulk in HK (he is a HK resident). He said it was a gift from his son and daughter in law. He had been toying with getting a new Rolex for over 2years but he could get nothing he wanted so never bothered. So his son bit the bullet and paid over for a Hulk, which even though was HK$40,000 over list, his son still had to wait 9months before he could surprise his dad.

That part of the story is nothing special.....

This part is:

The watch was bought from a SA of Chow Tai Fook. Didn't even get to a grey dealer, AD SA did the sale, albeit not in Chow Tai Fook.

This is common and accepted practice in HK for high demand watches. Always has been and I cannot see it changing in the future.
Old 30 December 2019, 11:47 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Hi All,

Although there are a lot of ADs in Hong Kong, most are part of two or three big chains, and most of them are whale hunters. Most displays only have diamond encrusted bling that is of no interest to me.

While I don't expect to walk into an AD and see a sea of professional watches, my question to the group is: Do any of you know of an AD in Hong Kong that is worth visiting if you are a normal HKer as opposed to those who have a driver waiting outside in an El Grande, or a man bag wearing guest from the north?

Actually, if anyone has the full list of AD chains in HK that would probably help. I know Chow Tai Fook, Emperor, and Dicksons are three of them; but I can think of one or two more.
You can find them all at rolex.com listed by district. They're all much of a muchness. Short displays and long faces.
Old 30 December 2019, 11:57 PM   #9
LeBapt
2024 Pledge Member

You can try Oriental Watch Co.

Otherwise, for grey market I like to go to Kimberley street.

You can take a look on Pottinger street for second hand and have a talk with Raymond Chung (I cannot post the link as I am a newbie here).

And just in case, if you want brand new Seiko (not GS) I have a very good address with nice discounts.
LeBapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 05:03 PM   #10
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. Yes it is as i suspected. As a matter of principle i’m not going to get anything from a grey for 2xMSRP that should be obtainable from an AD.

The used watch shops (i prefer Dundas/Kwong Wa) are wonderful for the mid-00s late five digit pieces i want now, i am just hoping at some point to find an AD i can actually work with for the future.

If they only want whales, then that deals with that.
Old 31 December 2019, 07:00 PM   #11
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Hi All,

You said it all.

Whale hunters being the keyword. The diamond encrusted Platinum Daydate they want to shove down your throat to give you a stainless steel sub (they have it in the back). That's the deal they're after Not a deal I would do.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 07:13 PM   #12
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBapt View Post
You can try Oriental Watch Co.

Otherwise, for grey market I like to go to Kimberley street.

You can take a look on Pottinger street for second hand and have a talk with Raymond Chung (I cannot post the link as I am a newbie here).

And just in case, if you want brand new Seiko (not GS) I have a very good address with nice discounts.
I would go to the one in Central, Queens Rd which is supposed to be the biggest watch store in HK. I got my JLC Reverso there at a good price

Grey market dealers worthy of note:

Ken's Watches - I personally wouldn't want to deal with Ken, he kinda seems brash and if you let him manhandle your watch (if you're selling it for eg.) you may even find a scratch after he's looked at it. But the other shop managers have given me good service.

Union Watches - the largest collection of lux, ultra-luxe & everything in between in HK. Claims to buy back watches within 2 years for 75% (need to verify). They expect if you go into the shop that you are a serious buyer, if you don't buy after 5 minutes or so they become disinterested.

Po Wan Loi - they have good prices on Rolexes, new and secondhand. Service is either poor or average, I got my bluesey here at a great price.

Mariane's, TST - for a small shop, they have some good stock. I got my DJ41 here which is a sought after model in blue.

Tse's Collection - high prices, don't bother
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Thanks all. Yes it is as i suspected. As a matter of principle i’m not going to get anything from a grey for 2xMSRP that should be obtainable from an AD.

The used watch shops (i prefer Dundas/Kwong Wa) are wonderful for the mid-00s late five digit pieces i want now, i am just hoping at some point to find an AD i can actually work with for the future.

If they only want whales, then that deals with that.
You have to start somewhere with an AD.
I started 15 years with a Datejust and worked from there. Maybe consider that? Alternatively do you have a daughter? Wife? Parter? Pick up some jewellery or whenever you need to buy a little gift for someone, buy from your local AD etc. It doesn’t happen overnight.

Or grey may be your only option.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 07:24 PM   #14
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Well to be honest in Hong Kong if you don’t want to buy a hot model from a grey dealer you have absolutely zero chance of getting it from an AD with no prior buying history,end of discussion.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 07:38 PM   #15
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
Well to be honest in Hong Kong if you don’t want to buy a hot model from a grey dealer you have absolutely zero chance of getting it from an AD with no prior buying history,end of discussion.
I appreciate that. I’m just trying to ascertain if there are any of the smaller chains that are even open to the option of entertaining a non-whale relationship.

The ‘buy jewellery for other people’ option doesn’t work in most cases here as the watch shops are standalone and don’t sell jewellery (and the lion’s share are Rolex/Tudor branded only).
Old 31 December 2019, 11:55 PM   #16
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Unless Rolex loses their mind and ramps up production dramatically, there really is no reason to expect hot models to be obtainable from AD's for random walk-ins.

Out of curiosity, I visited a small AD in a small city (population of 50000) in Germany yesterday, asking for a Sub just to start the conversation. The SA claimed that they get "30-40 people per day" asking for one of the hot models. If he took everyone's name the BLRO waiting list would be "1800 people" deep, vs the "5-10" they get per year. He suggested I come back after Baselworld...

I assume the HK AD's each get 10000+ inquiries per year. They could pick one out of a 100 randomly, or go with those who actually spend some money on PMs, lady's Date Justs etc.

I put my name down for a Sub at a different, newly opened, boutique, with supposedly only a 100 people in front of me. I don't expect a call until the current madness subsides.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:57 PM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I appreciate that. I’m just trying to ascertain if there are any of the smaller chains that are even open to the option of entertaining a non-whale relationship.

The ‘buy jewellery for other people’ option doesn’t work in most cases here as the watch shops are standalone and don’t sell jewellery (and the lion’s share are Rolex/Tudor branded only).
It’s a difficult situation and I hope you get something you like.
If they sell Tudor, you could ask if buying a Tudor would help your case?

It’s unusual for an AD to just accept you for a steel GMT/sub etc without that purchase history (purchase history and a whale being totally different)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 01:54 PM   #18
nuts070
"TRF" Member

You have to cultivate the relationship with HK ADs, as I did. Came across a DJ41 Blue in 2018 and never hesitated to take it. Then, I got 3 SS sports watches and now waiting for my BLRO. I also buy jewelries for my wife and mom (those 24K gold jewelry which has closer actual market value by gold weight) not as an inducement/bundle with the watches, but to make them see that I am here for the long haul. Although I would gladly add jewelries of my wife/mom's liking as a bundle and get some value for the extra money I shelled out than flat out bought something overpriced.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:07 PM   #19
vicsdca
Banned

Same everywhere you go these days
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 05:31 PM   #20
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
in short, there's no way you can buy a hulk at msrp in hk. either you go grey or pay to enter the wait list.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 06:02 PM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
in short, there's no way you can buy a hulk at msrp in hk. either you go grey or pay to enter the wait list.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 07:00 PM   #22
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Hong Kong Rolex AD aren’t interested in your business.

Sorry to come across as blunt, but that level of transaction is more of a nuisance to them.

They are completely focused on catering to whales. Period
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote