The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 January 2020, 04:07 AM   #1
oo7ml
Banned

Interesting Numbers Of The Current Market

Hi,

I am looking to add 2 new watches to my collection this year. While I'm on the "list" for a few I'm considering looking at the grey market as an option, as life is too short to wait around for "the call".

I put a small spreadsheet together to review the Retail Price (inc. 2020 increase) VS Market Price (Grey) and also the number of watches available on Chrono24 for each particular model listed.

I chose a fair and popular price (not the cheapest, but not the most expensive) on Chrono 24, with all papers and boxes and at least in excellent condition.

Concluding Notes

01 - It is no surprise to see the white face SS Daytona leading with the highest '% Markup' at 74% over retail, on the grey market.

02 - I was surprised to see that the YG Daytona is actually less on the grey market, as they seem very hard to get at the AD too.

03 - I was surprised to see that the SS Sky-Dweller was only 12% over retail price on the grey market AND the fact that the number of units (watches) is very low. Only 88 white face SS SD's on Chrono24.

You can see other various numbers in the screenshot below.

oo7ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:09 PM   #2
vicsdca
Banned

Still no love for the Yachtmaster 2
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 09:42 PM   #3
oo7ml
Banned

Yes, seems like it.

I was surprised to see the YG Daytona is cheaper on the grey market when there is a long waiting list for it now.

I was also very surprised with the AP ROC, at the bottom of the list.
Old 2 January 2020, 10:14 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wonder how many watches on chrono24 actually sell for the advertised price
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:16 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wonder how many watches on chrono24 actually sell for the advertised price
Or are even really available for sale or are not an outright scam?

Sad what some people believe because it appears on a screen in front of their face
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:21 PM   #6
oo7ml
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Or are even really available for sale or are not an outright scam?

Sad what some people believe because it appears on a screen in front of their face
Yes, but if there are 30 watches listed at the same price from 30 different dealers, I think it's fair to say that it is a 'believable' price, regardless if you think it is a true reflection of what the watch is worth.
Old 2 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Keep your chart handy and let's see what the chart looks like in 6 months. That will be very interesting. Count me in as surprised on the AP number.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:52 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
Yes, but if there are 30 watches listed at the same price from 30 different dealers, I think it's fair to say that it is a 'believable' price

No

Not at all

Something is worth what someone will pay for it. People can ask anything they want.

Without actual sales data, you are just looking at hopeful sellers.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
Old 3 January 2020, 04:05 AM   #9
oo7ml
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

No

Not at all

Something is worth what someone will pay for it. People can ask anything they want.

Without actual sales data, you are just looking at hopeful sellers.
True and not so true... bottom line is, if you want a particular watch and don't want to wait years to obtain one from an AD, then your only choice is the grey market and the price you can buy it for on the grey market... UNLESS you have some other way of buying watches cheaper than they 'average' price of a watch on the grey market???

Very interested in hearing how you do it.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:08 AM   #10
oo7ml
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Keep your chart handy and let's see what the chart looks like in 6 months. That will be very interesting. Count me in as surprised on the AP number.
Yes, I plan on reviewing it occasionally. Will update the thread in 6 months.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:12 AM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post

Very interested in hearing how you do it.
Do what? Buy a watch?

I buy what I can see and try on from an Authorized Dealer. Simple.

All the faux angst and entitled whining over high end luxury jewelry is both very entertaining and very sad at the same time.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:25 AM   #12
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
nice work
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #13
oo7ml
Banned

I agree on the sad part of whining, and I find it strange that people complain that their AD does not give them a limited piece. It's business, so it only makes sense to give frequent and high value customers preference over their stock.

This post is far from a whinge (from me at least), but you seem to be trying to make a point that watches 'high demand' watches outside of the AD network, are available at a different price than what is listed on the grey market.

The reality is that the 'average grey market price' is realistically the 'grey market price', and what you can expect to pay, if you are not fortunate enough to obtain one through an AD.

Back to topic.
Old 3 January 2020, 07:54 AM   #14
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Here is my personal experience. I bought from a grey dealer I know who lists on chrono24. He gave me the best price he could, and it was not the lowest on 24 but near the low end.

But here is what could be misleading: The watch I bought was new age-wise (important for a Patek) and in perfect condition. I looked into other low-priced watches and they were older or not in perfect condition. My point is that you can only tell so much by the price alone.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote