The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #181
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
OP, congrats to your son on setting a goal, working and saving up to reach it! Hopefully there will be many more milestones to celebrate for many years to come
Old 3 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #182
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Cool story Danny. Nice to hear that your son set a goal and accomplished it. Some sad responses here. Congrats to both of you.
Ty: By height.
Old 3 January 2020, 09:21 AM   #183
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Awesome story and congrats to your son on his first rolex and congrats to you for raising a hard working son.
Old 3 January 2020, 09:45 AM   #184
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
*facepalm*
Old 3 January 2020, 10:10 AM   #185
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusXIII View Post
'IF' your son (you know, the one whose daddy owns the company) truly did EARN and SAVE the monies for the Rolex, then hat's off to him. Again, if.
“You know the one whose daddy owns the company” implies what? His son didn’t actually do any work while on the clock for his fathers business?

And the OP needs to validate to you his son’s time cards or get you work references to prove he really did earn and save his money? Your inference with the bold, capped “IF” clearly implies you don’t believe the OP and are suggesting he is lying. X2

Lastly, you then follow up the insults with offering your meaningless, unsolicited and rude opinion as to his son’s choice of purchase. X3

You managed to doubt the work ethic of a 16 year old because his father owns the business, called Danny a liar by suggesting his son did not earn and save for his watch then insulted his son’s choice of purchase.

Wow...nice post. NOT!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 3 January 2020, 10:17 AM   #186
nnigel46
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me do my thing
Cool
Old 3 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #187
envuks
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I like these types of threads (other mods may not be of the same mind).

A contentious original thread brings the strongly opinionated in and much is said during the course of the thread, whereby we get a glimpse into the "type" of folk who throw their opinions in.

Sometimes (as is the case here) these threads act as the final post of one or more members. Other times the mods make a backstage mark and the exit for the member is the next time they poo the bed.

We could have a less busy forum and my scythe is plenty sharp, but consensus is that as-it-currenty-is will make do; approx 15 bans a week.
Thank you for posting this and thank you for managing the forums this way. If you keep the reigns too tight, forums tend to lose their fun. Which is really why most folks are here. It’s hard to keep a good balance, which I feel we have here at TRF.

To the OP, thank you for posting this and I’m sorry it didn’t seem to go quite as expected (saw some posts asking for the thread to be deleted). Personally, I think the watch is fun and could see how someone would like it, especially if they’re interested in possibly becoming a jeweler. Plus the kid saved for it which is an awesome life lesson.... don’t let the flameboys and naysayers get to you.

To the flameboys and naysayers, come on. The OP’s contributing to the forums and this post is WAY better than all the “value retention,” “wait list,” whatever posts that seem on repeat these days. Plus, the owner is 16. Tastes change vastly as a person ages and there’s a big world of watches out there outside of the ~10-15 Rolex models that are favored here on TRF

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 3 January 2020, 10:56 AM   #188
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Since you asked, I'm willing to throw one out there. The owner of the forum posted the personal name & address of a random person who sent them a DM they didn't like.

Me pointing out that it's bad form to post someone's full info for all to see got me an infraction rather than having the info taken down.
1. I didn't ask you.

2. I am perplexed why the site owner didn't just ban you for good, especially with your ongoing uncharitable account of what actually happened.
Old 3 January 2020, 11:39 AM   #189
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
“You know the one whose daddy owns the company” implies what? His son didn’t actually do any work while on the clock for his fathers business?

And the OP needs to validate to you his son’s time cards or get you work references to prove he really did earn and save his money? Your inference with the bold, capped “IF” clearly implies you don’t believe the OP and are suggesting he is lying. X2

Lastly, you then follow up the insults with offering your meaningless, unsolicited and rude opinion as to his son’s choice of purchase. X3

You managed to doubt the work ethic of a 16 year old because his father owns the business, called Danny a liar by suggesting his son did not earn and save for his watch then insulted his son’s choice of purchase.

Wow...nice post. NOT!
I stand by my initial post. Throwing my opinion out there like the rest of them. Regardless of what you think.
Old 3 January 2020, 11:41 AM   #190
mikef82
"TRF" Member

Congrats! How much was this piece?
Old 3 January 2020, 12:26 PM   #191
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Congrats to your son and your parenting skills.

You now share in a great hobby together.
Good for him. Proud for you both. It’s something he wanted, saved & paid for.
His opinion is the only one that counts.
Old 3 January 2020, 05:02 PM   #192
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Congrats to your son on his hard work and good to see him interested in watches! It's nice to see a teenager work hard for something he wants. I know I wouldn't have gotten up at 4:30 to work when I was 16, Lol.
Old 3 January 2020, 06:53 PM   #193
Ihatecheese
Banned

I hope he enjoys his gift! My first big one was my minidisc player ��

Do warn him to be wary as a teenager wearing high value items. A lot of kids get mugged in the city as they're wearing expensive shoes watches coats (with big brands visible) etc but aren't truly aware of their surroundings (and can be disproportionately targeted by similar kids with less.)
Old 3 January 2020, 06:56 PM   #194
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Congrats! Thats a cool watch for a 16 year old.
Old 3 January 2020, 07:29 PM   #195
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
A red dial Rolex gets 7 pages of comments,so far .

The usual boring "Incoming !!" White dial Daytona and "The comic book squad" gets a page,perhaps two ....

>> !!!
Old 3 January 2020, 07:45 PM   #196
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Bloody hell tough crowd on here and some vitriol thrown about.

Congratulations to your son for working hard and earning his own money

Must admit when I first read the post I did rather meanly think spoiled kid, but actually reading though it I applaud his hard work. It's his money his choice to spend it how he wants.
Old 3 January 2020, 07:46 PM   #197
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

First, OP, congrats to you for raising a hard working son who appreciates the finer things in life. Well done.

Second, to those members who say no one should criticize the watch choice because its a 16-year-old: I'm pretty sure that a lot of 16-year-olds on the internet have tons of opinions that they freely express. The 16-year-old doesn't get a pass because he's 16. Members are merely expressing an opinion about a watch posted--and most did say NOT in a nasty way.

Third, I am surprised that OP and others are surprised at any members criticizing a high school kid wearing such a flashy piece of name-brand diamond jewelry. This has come up plenty of times. A kid who can barely drive wearing flashy diamond-encrusted jewelry to school, a movie, the mall, etc. is just asking for trouble.

Fourth, labeling a member's post as "racist" is serious business. Something just may be a factual observation or a stereotype that's true. There always seems to be a premature run to the racist card.
Old 4 January 2020, 12:01 AM   #198
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Do you see why I love TRF ?
Old 4 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #199
snowbone
"TRF" Member

This raises the question - 'is it safe for a 16 year old to be walking around with a blinged out Rolex...hopefully its insured

BTW...Its awesome that your son is hard working and was able to save that much money and buy a Rolex...
Old 4 January 2020, 12:42 AM   #200
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Congrats to your son! Not throwing shots but when I saw it I immediately thought of this ...
Old 4 January 2020, 12:45 AM   #201
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Good lord that is a hideous watch! Yikes!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Old 4 January 2020, 12:47 AM   #202
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Congrats to your son! Not throwing shots but when I saw it I immediately thought of this ...
State of that “dog”

A more discordant combination of man and beast I can’t recall...
Old 4 January 2020, 12:57 AM   #203
Erson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_AG View Post
Appreciate that he saved up for it. But a 36mm datejust with aftermarket bezel? For a 16 year old? You couldn’t steer him towards a submariner??

he wants to become jeweller and be rich

no need sub
Old 4 January 2020, 01:20 AM   #204
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
When you say you immediately thought of that hideous image, what does that say about your character personally? Talk about pouring gasoline on a fire, not smart. This thread has gone so far down the toilet time to shut it down. Some of the ignorant responses here are not examples of mature adults but of 10 year old children
Old 4 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #205
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
When you say you immediately thought of that hideous image, what does that say about your character personally? Talk about pouring gasoline on a fire, not smart.

I’m not sure what it’s says about my character personally? Maybe you can enlighten me oh wise one.

To me, it means I saw the watch and thought to myself “I’ve seen a similar one before, where did I see something like that before?”

It seems you’ve been offended my good sir. Happy new year to you
Old 4 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #206
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I’m not sure what it’s says about my character personally? Maybe you can enlighten me oh wise one.

To me, it means I saw the watch and thought to myself “I’ve seen a similar one before, where did I see something like that before?”

It seems you’ve been offended my good sir. Happy new year to you
The fact you took the time and energy to find that image off Google says it all. Well done.
Old 4 January 2020, 01:32 AM   #207
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
The fact you took the time and energy to find that image off Google says it all. Well done.

Took 60 seconds max. And I found it off his Instagram
Old 4 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #208
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Took 60 seconds max. And I found it off his Instagram

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 4 January 2020, 02:53 AM   #209
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
This thread is now closed before some members get there membership closed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread