The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Aninda
"TRF" Member

Expressing Interest with my first AD

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I just put in my first "expression of interest" form so to speak with my local AD for a 116610LN, and thinking about what lies ahead I can't help but feel like I must have low grade autism or something - the prospect of having to build a relationship with my AD is filling me with an existential exhaustion.

Does anyone have any tips for some filler banter, honestly.
Aninda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:07 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All this so called build a relationship with my AD only exists on internet forums, as all ADs are in business for one thing only.That is to sell as many watches to any Tom,Dick or Harry who enters there store and parts with there cash.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:35 PM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Many alternative places to buy a 116610LN
Old 4 February 2020, 09:55 PM   #4
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome. Do some research here on TRF and you will see a lot of options on buying a watch. No reason to flip the customer/AD relationship but it is really all about the watches not relationships with retailers.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 10:00 PM   #5
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aninda View Post
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker. I just put in my first "expression of interest" form so to speak with my local AD for a 116610LN, and thinking about what lies ahead I can't help but feel like I must have low grade autism or something - the prospect of having to build a relationship with my AD is filling me with an existential exhaustion.

You're going to pay a lot for a hot watch in one of 2 ways.

1. Get it now and just pay the markup.

2. Buy a couple things for more money than the markup and wait.

My AD's hypothesis is that they have been making new movements which have haunted production on the hot models and this could make things a little easier to get by end of year.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 10:07 PM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Yes.

Tell them you will buy when they have a watch.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:24 AM   #7
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All this so called build a relationship with my AD only exists on internet forums, as all ADs are in business for one thing only.That is to sell as many watches to any Tom,Dick or Harry who enters there store and parts with there cash.
Ah, but not true IMHO. At all. Life is not quite that simple.

Relationships count, my friend. In everything. My cars, my house, my jewelry. All purchased through mutually beneficial relationships. And not always because I have the cash on the barrelhead ready to rock.

I've had the same car guy for 20 years and I don't know how many cars. Same RE agent and same Rolex AD, too. These things are important to me and I invest in the people and process that enable me to acquire them (mostly) as I please.

Ben
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
I actually had an AD tell me that to be considered for a BLNR I had to establish an “relationship” with their store, and the $3000 IWC I was looking at did not qualify the relationship, but. The $30,000 used Smurf I was gawking at might. I guess $3000 was just considered a cheap 1st date.

Most ADs are also in the business of selling all sorts of other jewelry and meaningless trinkets. The “relationship,” while still total BS, is just a cute way of them increasing sales to every other TDH. I get it, don’t like it, but understand. Fortunately the AD that I actually buy my watches from doesn’t play this game with me.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:12 PM   #9
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Just go in, ask for the watch. When they tell you they don’t have one and it will be months, but they can take your name and info, give it to them. Boom, done. I enjoying chewing the fat with folks at an AD if they are into watches, but that because I like talking watches. I don’t pretend to think it helps me getting a watch I want.

If they don’t offer a list, or suggest you might want to browse for something else to help things along, tell them no thanks and go find another AD.

If they ask for a deposit, well that’s a decision for you to make.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:13 PM   #10
edyu

Quote:

Welcome to the first post on the forum. Just FYI, I don't think you should use "autism" in this manner. :)
That aside, just go frequently and talk to them, sometimes it doesn't work but sometimes it works. In the end, humans care about business but also relationship. It depends on your AD and your SA but it wouldn't hurt showing up.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:41 PM   #11
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Every 3 to 4 weeks: “hi there it’s me again, just checking in to ensure you didn’t forget about me.”

You know trickle in some current events and some how were your holidays, when appropriate too. But mainly just stay nice and keep checking in.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:22 PM   #12
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:

Speaking in general terms I agree with you. Although I have seen a number of threads from members recently that would disagree.

I also see you talk a lot about things that “only exist on Internet forums”. Don’t you run this Rolex forum? I just don’t get you being the authority on what is real or not. With all due respect.

There were just 2 long threads about a gentleman that got a BLRO with no purchase history by striking up good conversation with a SA. That was in real life, not on the Internet.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:44 PM   #13
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Incorrect, sir.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote