The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #1
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

Try before you buy!

I am like most of you still on the waiting list for a number of SS watches which I hope to add to my collection. I found it very frustrating that it was hard to make a decision about which watches would suit me without trying them on! The AD has been fantastic at calling me to show me any SS watches and other hot models they have in store which have already been allocated. Although it’s frustrating not being able to buy these I feel I’ve now got a much better idea of what these models are like in real life! Have any of your had similar experiences and what models have you viewed at ADs from the safe recently?!
Watchdoctor998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #2
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Yes, I've tried all models I was interested in buying and hanged my mind on all 40mm models because I didn't like how they looked "small to my eyes" on my wrist. Ended up skipping both hot GMT models and ordered the SD43.
Old 5 February 2020, 03:51 AM   #3
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Most second hand dealers will stock at least one of every watch ..

Pay a visit to one and you can try them all on in a few minutes
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:57 AM   #4
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Most second hand dealers will stock at least one of every watch ..

Pay a visit to one and you can try them all on in a few minutes
Thanks that’s a great idea!
Old 5 February 2020, 03:58 AM   #5
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

Are there any models that you thought looked fantastic in pictures but just didn’t pop in real life?
Old 5 February 2020, 04:06 AM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoctor998 View Post
Are there any models that you thought looked fantastic in pictures but just didn’t pop in real life?

To my eye, Sea Dwellers always look good in photos but never look so good on my wrist.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:06 AM   #7
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Yes, I've tried all models I was interested in buying and hanged my mind on all 40mm models because I didn't like how they looked "small to my eyes" on my wrist. Ended up skipping both hot GMT models and ordered the SD43.
I agree with this 100%.

While I want a BLNR, I tried one on a few weeks ago and it felt like a womans watch. I ended up ordering a SD43.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:08 AM   #8
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

The one watch which had completely the opposite effect was the explorer. Always thought it looked far to plain in pictures but on the wrist I feel the size and simplicity of the dial make it an absolute winner
Old 5 February 2020, 04:09 AM   #9
Rori
"TRF" Member

That would surprise me because 40mm watch should not be seen as small for 99.99 % of men but somehow I was like disappointed when on my wrist compared to pictures I had seen and still see on the web where the 40mm GMT or Subs looks stunning. My eyes have to be checked I guess:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
I agree with this 100%.

While I want a BLNR, I tried one on a few weeks ago and it felt like a womans watch. I ended up ordering a SD43.
Old 5 February 2020, 04:13 AM   #10
MacDaddyOC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seeking My 1st.
Great idea about the resellers. I agree, I really want a Batgirl and Daytona, but I have zero idea what they will look like on my wrist. It would suck to wait years and then put it on my 7" wrist and it look too small or I don't like it.
MacDaddyOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:15 AM   #11
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
My eyes have to be checked I guess:-)
Your eyes are fine. The thin and small gmt's and subs are just danty to me. The SD43 and YMii are my absolute favorites from Rolex.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:21 AM   #12
Rori
"TRF" Member

Glad I'm not alone.

Quote:
Your eyes are fine. The thin and small gmt's and subs are just danty to me. The SD43 and YMii are my absolute favorites from Rolex.
Old 5 February 2020, 04:23 AM   #13
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddyOC View Post
Great idea about the resellers. I agree, I really want a Batgirl and Daytona, but I have zero idea what they will look like on my wrist. It would suck to wait years and then put it on my 7" wrist and it look too small or I don't like it.
Having tried on several daytona and GMT models both in SS and PM I was honestly shocked at the difference in weight, especially the platinum daytona!
Old 5 February 2020, 05:50 AM   #14
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I didn't try Daytona C prior to owning one. I was on wait list, got call and went and bought it.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:40 AM   #15
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Very fortunate to have an AD nearby which has a watch enthusiast with a large Instagram account on staff.

The person is very friendly with his watches so I've been able to try on a lot of the hot models.

Looks like the SkyD Blue is next.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 07:01 AM   #16
Mr Wolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: It!
I've been after a BLNR for years but never managed it, the first time I tried one on in 2015 I thought it was too small. I never forgot that I wanted a BLNR, but seem to have forgot it's too small for my liking. Then my AD rang me and asked me to come in to try one on before putting my name down on his list. He had a SDDS D-Blue too. Glad I tried that on, I realised I never really wanted the BLNR but wanted the Deepsea JC. 2 days later it was mine. Happy Days. If Rolex ever release a 42mm BLNR, then I guess the dream will start again.
Mr Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:16 PM   #17
calh22a
Banned

Have been able to see almost all the hot SS models at my AD. Only one I haven’t handled is a blue skydweller. A buddy of mine has a white one which I got to check out. It’s difficult to make purchases based on pictures only. This might not go well with many members but I was underwhelmed when I saw the BLRO in the flesh which I wouldn’t have expected based on pictures of it. Definitely good idea if you can see it before you buy it.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:32 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=Airport
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:56 PM   #19
hariprr
"TRF" Member

Got my reality check when I tried on 36mm explorer I. Till then I had only seen them in pics and the dial looked so beautiful. Hands on it was still beautiful but so small !
hariprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:11 PM   #20
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I got to try for the first time a dj41 on jubilee bracelet. Surprised to found out jubilee is too blingy for me.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 02:11 PM   #21
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
this is why I bought an Explorer II 216570, 40mm feels so underwhelming to me when I saw a two tone bluesy at my AD. When The Timeless Watch Channel guy bought his two tone Sea Dweller, he already had the two tone black sub and comparing them side by side, you could almost hear him thinking 'well, I'm gonna flip that two tone sub real soon because it sure looks awfully tiny now next to my SD'
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:14 AM   #22
Watchdoctor998
"TRF" Member

great to hear peoples experiences! whats the most lavish/hard to source/rare rolex people have tried on at the AD?
Old 6 February 2020, 03:37 AM   #23
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I’ve never tried on a watch before I bought....never had a problem in 25 years
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:45 AM   #24
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
Quote:
I agree with this 100%.

I have a 7" wrist. Was tempted to order the Daytona 116519ln. Tried one on...looks tiny. The oyster rubber band is really narrow.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:23 AM   #25
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

This really is great advice, even if seemingly obvious. I can’t count the number of references I’ve detested in photos and really liked in person, as well as vice versa. The latest surprise was the 126710 BLNR. Did nothing for me in person or on wrist, despite appreciating in photos.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:42 AM   #26
newu5er
"TRF" Member

I stopped by my AD to see if anything happened to show up that date (crazy thought I know) and was talked into trying on a DJ 126334 on jubilee. I almost didn't try it on based on how it looked in the case - just wasn't me I thought...once I put it on, I almost walked out the door with it.

Now, I know the salesperson was steering me into something they had versus something they didn't, but I was really impressed with how it looked on my wrist. Made a mental note of it after I get a couple other models I'm after.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote