The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2020, 05:19 AM   #1
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Will Rolex release a SS model on rubber?

Doing some surfing today looking at the available models from various other watch manufacturers and it strikes me that there is a fairly glaring hole in the Rolex catalog currently. Rolex does not offer a single SS model on factory rubber. Patek, AP, Vacheron, JLC, Zenith, GO, Omega and Breitling all offer SS models on factory rubber.

Rather than releasing new models or case changes for existing models, do we think this could be the next evolution of the Rolex catalog? Or could we see Rolex do something like Vacheron, a quick change strap system that will accommodate both a factory bracelet & rubber strap?

I realize this has been discussed before but seeing as how we all have plenty of time on our hands right now...
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 05:42 AM   #2
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
I don't think they will. Rolex clearly want's to increase the average price per new watch. providing a 'cheaper' option won't accomplish that.

Personally I would love to see the YMII SS offered with a blue oysterflex and glidelock.
Old 2 April 2020, 05:51 AM   #3
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

It would be great if they would, but I also don’t see it happening. I think the Oysterflex in the precious metal models reduces their cost enough to allow some people to jump from SS to PM. Lowering the cost of SS models would only increase demand (I’m assuming) and Rolex already can’t keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:00 AM   #4
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Only the shadow knows (for folks old enough to remember).
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I don't think so.. but I sure wish! A quick strap change system would be fantastic.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:07 AM   #6
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
What a question. Even God doesn't know but people asking questions like this. LOL
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a question. Even God doesn't know but people asking questions like this. LOL
Yeah, why would anyone think that a forum full of experts on Rolex's history and business practices might have insight about potential future products?

I don't think it's significant that so far Rolex has positioned the Oysterflex strap as a premium product. This is how Rolex often introduces new features and products, but they often work their way down to "regular" watches. See ceramic bezels, for example, which have been slowly appearing in more steel watches for the past 15 years. Or the Sky-Dweller, which started in PM and became available in steel only later. So, I suspect we'll see Oysterflex on steel watches sooner or later.

I don't think we'll ever see quick-change straps, though. While it was different once upon a time, modern Rolex actively discourages strap switching -- even going so far as to make tiny, pointless changes to spring bars and lug holes seemingly just to prevent swapping bracelets between models. It would be quite a change in direction for them to encourage it any time soon.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 08:31 AM   #8
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
Yeah, why would anyone think that a forum full of experts on Rolex's history and business practices might have insight about potential future products?

I don't think it's significant that so far Rolex has positioned the Oysterflex strap as a premium product. This is how Rolex often introduces new features and products, but they often work their way down to "regular" watches. See ceramic bezels, for example, which have been slowly appearing in more steel watches for the past 15 years. Or the Sky-Dweller, which started in PM and became available in steel only later. So, I suspect we'll see Oysterflex on steel watches sooner or later.

I don't think we'll ever see quick-change straps, though. While it was different once upon a time, modern Rolex actively discourages strap switching -- even going so far as to make tiny, pointless changes to spring bars and lug holes seemingly just to prevent swapping bracelets between models. It would be quite a change in direction for them to encourage it any time soon.
Thanks, I tend to agree with you. It just seems to me that with the aforementioned watch brands all offering SS models on rubber that Rolex is leaving that segment of the market untapped. We're not talking about chumps here - the Trinity are all on board.

I too would be surprised to see a quick change system given Rolex's "war on accessorizing" over the years.

mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:12 AM   #9
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

I wish they would. I would buy any 40mm or larger SS piece on OF.

Seems like Rolex categorizes rubber like leather and only offers with gold.

It's funny to me because I consider rubber and leather to be quite different categories.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote