The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2020, 07:25 AM   #1
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

Birth Year Submariner with a Twist

So lately I’ve been itching for a vintage-ish sub. Always wanted a birth year (1989) watch at some point. However, I was thinking of taking it a different direction. This is probably blasphemy to most here: instead of period-appropriate parts, I want to take it in the opposite direction with refurbed condition as best as possible - luminova hands, service luminova dial, etc.

If that goes well, was thinking of doing the same for a 1967 sub for my dad, but I know that would be way more of a landline.

Thing is, I have no experience with vintage-ish watches at all. Anyone know if something like this is possible, and any advice on where to get started?
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:28 AM   #2
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Not sure i understand a 1989 would have come with luminova pieces from origin. Plus they are not that old yet that most of them have extensive service parts.
What would your starting piece be and why would you want to source donor parts?
In any case, I think it's a bit of a weird idea when you could easily find a 14060 in great condition from that year. Additionally, it will very likely be cheaper.

I might misunderstand your intention, so please clarify if I have the wrong idea.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote