The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: What option best describes your collection strategy
Unplanned - generally I buy spur of the moment and impulse buys 9 5.17%
Unplanned - without any regard to current collection I take advantage of good deals when found 9 5.17%
I only buy vintage 0 0%
I buy anything I can get my hands on/becomes available from an AD 7 4.02%
Planned - I have a diverse collection of different brands and types/complications 55 31.61%
Planned - I only buy Rolex but pick up different types/complications 31 17.82%
Planned - I collect only one type of watch (divers/chronos/dress) 4 2.30%
I just buy what I like without any strategy or consideration to my collection 59 33.91%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 April 2020, 09:18 PM   #1
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Collection Strategy

The additional time indoors and at home has left me with plenty of time to consider what time pieces I'd like to add to my collection, and what will be my next purchase.

On one hand, I'd like my next acquisition to be an Exp2 Polar or a Speedy - both compliment and offer something my current collection does not. On the other hand, I also want to add a Sub, but this conflicts with what I already have in my collection.

I was wondering if others have a strategy behind their buying similar to me, or if I'm overthinking. What do you guys tend to do when it comes to making these decisions?
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:01 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Collection Strategy

Not a strategy, per se...

Veni - Vidi - Vici - Rinse, Repeat.

But it has worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Mine is planned - I go for blue SS Nautilus.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:31 PM   #4
Lex_Ordo
"TRF" Member

I started with a Tudor Sub Date in 1989, when I was a senior in HS.
I was working in a marina, and of course everyone wore a Sub. Theirs were all Rolex however. At that time, Tudor professional watches were exact copies of Rolex, just with a different 25 Jewel movement, and less money. I think I paid a little over $400 at that time.

Ten years later, I bought my first Rolex, GMT Master II 16710. I ended up selling my Tudor to fund another Rolex, and now, all I wear and own are Rolex.

I love the designs and timeless style.
Lex_Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:34 PM   #5
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The best of plans is to have a diverse collection but I tend to track back to divers and modern pieces that look vintage. It is all fun though.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:52 PM   #6
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I have a plan. Diverse in size, complication and dial color. I gravitate towards Rolex but have other brands. Historic, sport and military applications play a role as well.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 11:58 PM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I have pursued those watches that appeal to me.
Early In my evolution of experience I have Often found that the watches I chose were not quite right.

As my awareness grew, the choices I make today are much more deliberate and accurate for my personal taste... I am now faced with a new challenge, my collection is growing beyond the number of watches I would prefer and as a result of my better choices, I am haven’t difficulty making cuts.

I do believe I have captured a diverse collection.
Patek, Rolex, Cartier, fp journe, grand seiko and an omega pending.
Old 16 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

For me diversity of brand is most important, it keeps me disciplined, and makes me think hard about which watch i want from the manufacturer.

Diversity of type is 2nd, one diver, one chrono, one dress etc.

Making the collection work for these two "rules" is fun (to me at least)

Do i want the VC overseas 2nd gen chrono as my chrono, as i think it is best bang for buck, but i love the patrimony as the dress option. etc etc.

I love the day/date but my favorite diver is the SD, is there another diver that i love as much as the SD to allow me to get the day/date.

For me the puzzle is fun. YMMV :)
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #9
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Pretty planned/Rolex only, over here: professionals, 40mm case with crown guards. Mix of 4, 5 and 6 digits in SS or PM.
No two-tone.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #10
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Just buy what I like and see where the collection lands for me.

So far: 116613LB Bluesy; Tudor BB Blue 79220B ETA (just ordered)

There are four more watches that I can't get off my mind that I plan to add over the years when the time is right: 114060 ND Sub; 126711CHNR TT Rootbeer; 116619LB Smurf; 126719BLRO Meteorite GMT (current grail)
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Collection Strategy

-Discover a watch, interest sparked
-Thorough research (dimensions, movement, design, etc)
-Try on watch at Tourneau preowned section
-Interest piques enough to make a purchase
-Hold off on purchase for a month
-If still interested more research
-Purchase
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 02:05 AM   #12
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Planned and unplanned
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 02:13 AM   #13
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I only buy watches that appeal to me. I won't buy something I won't wear just because it may be worth more in another market. Watches are a source of enjoyment for me so I buy the ones I know I'll wear well.
Old 16 April 2020, 02:54 AM   #14
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Mine is planned. I know what I want to complete my collection, I have the funds, just waiting for the right one to be advertised for sale. Photos WILL follow when I become the proud owner!
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 02:57 AM   #15
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I've gone through about 2-3 of your choices over my time in this watch collecting hobby. Currently in the last one (buy what I like), who knows where I'll be in a few years.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 05:53 AM   #16
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

A wider variety than I anticipated, and top two results were as predicted but a lot closer than I had've imagined. I'm somewhere between a planned & diverse collection and just buying what I like.
Old 16 April 2020, 11:05 AM   #17
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Collection Strategy

I go for diversity amongst Rolex sports models. 116610LV, 126710BLRO, 214270.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 01:43 PM   #18
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I have pursued those watches that appeal to me.
Early In my evolution of experience I have Often found that the watches I chose were not quite right.

As my awareness grew, the choices I make today are much more deliberate and accurate for my personal taste... I am now faced with a new challenge, my collection is growing beyond the number of watches I would prefer and as a result of my better choices, I am haven’t difficulty making cuts.

I do believe I have captured a diverse collection.
Patek, Rolex, Cartier, fp journe, grand seiko and an omega pending.
Always loved your collection, Gus! You'll be due a group photo when the Omega comes in!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 01:58 PM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Always loved your collection, Gus! You'll be due a group photo when the Omega comes in!
Thanks Rob.
Old 16 April 2020, 05:48 PM   #20
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post

On one hand, I'd like my next acquisition to be an Exp2 Polar or a Speedy - both compliment and offer something my current collection does not. On the other hand, I also want to add a Sub, but this conflicts with what I already have in my collection.
I love to think carefully about my collection as a whole, and like each watch to serve specific 'purposes' (normally just matching my outfit/activity) and try not to have too much overlap on the formality spectrum.

Going by your signature, the Explorer 1 seems to be your dressiest piece, although still a sports watch. If you don't have any interest in anything more formal than the Ex1, and wear exclusively sporty/casual pieces, then I'd be looking at the Speedy out rather than the Ex2 as you already have GMT and robustness covered.

As for a sub, well the SMP covers that as you've alluded to. If I had your collection, and wasn't looking for anything formal, my choice would be a vintage Sub or Tudor Sub, or something else slightly older. Maybe an IWC MarkXV or something. You don't need more brand-new sports watches, so these would still fit your aesthetic preferences, but would offer something a little more 'interesting' to many watch collectors, and would be great to wear to meet-ups where a current Rolex steel sports watch wouldn't start a conversation.

Have you considered anything a little older?
Gui Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 06:07 PM   #21
Andad

Watch: A few.
I buy watches I like.

Any brand plus a sprinkling of spur of the moment and a touch of impulse on occasion.

Last option was my choice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 06:10 PM   #22
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui Gui View Post
I love to think carefully about my collection as a whole, and like each watch to serve specific 'purposes' (normally just matching my outfit/activity) and try not to have too much overlap on the formality spectrum.

Going by your signature, the Explorer 1 seems to be your dressiest piece, although still a sports watch. If you don't have any interest in anything more formal than the Ex1, and wear exclusively sporty/casual pieces, then I'd be looking at the Speedy out rather than the Ex2 as you already have GMT and robustness covered.

As for a sub, well the SMP covers that as you've alluded to. If I had your collection, and wasn't looking for anything formal, my choice would be a vintage Sub or Tudor Sub, or something else slightly older. Maybe an IWC MarkXV or something. You don't need more brand-new sports watches, so these would still fit your aesthetic preferences, but would offer something a little more 'interesting' to many watch collectors, and would be great to wear to meet-ups where a current Rolex steel sports watch wouldn't start a conversation.

Have you considered anything a little older?

Wow - great response and almost the exact same chain of thought to myself. Likewise each of my watches serves a purposes and I have built my collection this way so far.

As a matter of fact yes I have considered something a little older by way of a 5 digit sub. I’ve been doing some research of late into these models. I prefer the aesthetic of these pieces and they do have a certain charm about them I’m not sure the 6 digits will ever achieve with the ceramic bezel always retaining its as new look. There are some photographs I have seen of the current ceramic models where it appears a little loud and almost blingy which isn’t really my style.

My only reservation with 5 digits is the bracelet and clasp which I’m worried will be a disappointment. The EasyLink on the Explorer and the on the go adjustment in the Omega have probably spoiled me, so this is something which I’m a little cautious about...a little more research on my part but thanks for your input
Old 16 April 2020, 08:17 PM   #23
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Wow - great response and almost the exact same chain of thought to myself. Likewise each of my watches serves a purposes and I have built my collection this way so far.

As a matter of fact yes I have considered something a little older by way of a 5 digit sub. I’ve been doing some research of late into these models. I prefer the aesthetic of these pieces and they do have a certain charm about them I’m not sure the 6 digits will ever achieve with the ceramic bezel always retaining its as new look. There are some photographs I have seen of the current ceramic models where it appears a little loud and almost blingy which isn’t really my style.

My only reservation with 5 digits is the bracelet and clasp which I’m worried will be a disappointment. The EasyLink on the Explorer and the on the go adjustment in the Omega have probably spoiled me, so this is something which I’m a little cautious about...a little more research on my part but thanks for your input
Seems we have similar taste. I didn't bite, but was very close to buying a 14060, the last of the tritium models. In my opinion, the new models will always look new, and not really show evidence of their era in the future as they won't degrade/patina in the same way. This model for me would have been something to wear for classy yet casual events, not as an everyday watch, so the relative lack of durability/sophistication of the watch and bracelet weren't an issue to me. I also think the 14060 models look great on thick, brown, leather straps too.

And if you buy something of that era, then you'd be very unlucky to lose any money on it if you decided to sell it again further down the line.
Gui Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2020, 10:26 PM   #24
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I sat down yesterday and figured out I had bought 14 Rolexes from 8 ADs over a 40 year period. Lots of trades buying and occasionally selling over the years so I guess I’m a collector?!