The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2020, 04:10 AM   #31
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Rolex 118239 vs AP 14790

I would go Rolex 118239, AP 14790 is very old model.

But AP bracelet is the best in watch industry. Add a little more money and go for:

AP 15450 (37mm) with rose gold bracelet, it's very beautiful and elegant, you can get a big discount in the grey market at this time.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 04:14 AM   #32
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

I know we are on the Rolex forum, but in this battle the 14790 hands down takes the cake for me.
In the right condition, this reference hits the spot.
It’s sporty, but also passes as a dress watch. The size to me is just perfect - especially for us with wrist sizes on the smaller side.

The AP design is easily one of the nicest in the industry, and the bracelet is second to non.

Here is mine!
Good luck on your quest.

theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 07:27 AM   #33
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfullm42 View Post
I will add in, the 14790 2225 movement is a little finicky. It was a modified JLC 889 and I know with the few I've had they aren't the easiest to regulate.

That said, have you looked at the 25594, that is the 36mm reference to get imo or the 25572 at 37mm
I have looked into those references in the past as well, I liked the size and look of it, but right now I just want to stay away from complicated royal oaks as servicing on those are gonna be expensive compared to time/date only.
Wristky Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 07:31 AM   #34
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
You might also check out the Vacheron Constantin OVERSEAS in 37mm.
Looked into that as well but my heart is inlove with the royal oak design
Old 28 May 2020, 07:34 AM   #35
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
AP and don't look back.
Hahaha love the response! No regrets?
Old 28 May 2020, 07:56 AM   #36
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=theflywrist;10639707]I know we are on the Rolex forum, but in this battle the 14790 hands down takes the cake for me.
It’s sporty, but also passes as a dress watch. The size to me is just perfect - especially for us with wrist sizes on the smaller side.

The AP design is easily one of the nicest in the industry, and the bracelet is second to non.

Here is mine!
Good luck on your quest.

Wow superb condition! Love the AP 14790. Only thing holding me back is the movement inside compared to the 3155 movement of the dd which is no doubt superior than the 2225 movement of AP. Both classic design
Old 28 May 2020, 08:05 AM   #37
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Rolex 118239 vs AP 14790

I would go Rolex 118239, AP 14790 is very old model.

But AP bracelet is the best in watch industry. Add a little more money and go for:

AP 15450 (37mm) with rose gold bracelet, it's very beautiful and elegant, you can get a big discount in the grey market at this time.
I just prefer the case design of the 14790, the thin mono case block, petite tapessire dial with long hour markers. Its so 90’s. The newer 15450 although more modern, to me feels chunky.
Old 28 May 2020, 02:50 PM   #38
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Wristky Pleasure;10640107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
I know we are on the Rolex forum, but in this battle the 14790 hands down takes the cake for me.

Here is mine!

Good luck on your quest.

Wow superb condition! Love the AP 14790. Only thing holding me back is the movement inside compared to the 3155 movement of the dd which is no doubt superior than the 2225 movement of AP. Both classic design

Though that is true, this watch is worth the hassle it comes with :)
Yes the movement is not great, like most APs honestly, including the jumbo. But man does the design and wear hit the sweet spot :)

I’d gladly wear it every day even if it was not running :D
The 36mm Rolex, though classic and lovely does not come close for me in terms of excitement. Side by side to a RO, the DD is extremely boring.
Ofcourse this is just my opinion, and I don’t wish to offend any owners of any of the watches. Just speaking my mind :)

One thing is for sure, it is a good problem to have deciding between these two.

Good luck!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 02:30 AM   #39
Wristky Pleasure
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=theflywrist;10640784]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristky Pleasure View Post

Though that is true, this watch is worth the hassle it comes with :)
Yes the movement is not great, like most APs honestly, including the jumbo. But man does the design and wear hit the sweet spot :)

I’d gladly wear it every day even if it was not running :D
The 36mm Rolex, though classic and lovely does not come close for me in terms of excitement. Side by side to a RO, the DD is extremely boring.
Ofcourse this is just my opinion, and I don’t wish to offend any owners of any of the watches. Just speaking my mind :)

One thing is for sure, it is a good problem to have deciding between these two.

Good luck!
I like that, “ wear it even if it was not running “ lol.
I havent have one on my wrist, but all I’m pretty sure it would wear perfect on my skinny wrist based from all the research I’ve done and from owners of the 14790. Maybe I have fallen out of love from the dd design? ( not sure if it is even possible) Been wearing it for a couple of years now, it still gives me a lot of joy. Maybe is the effect of lockdown in NYC hahaha