The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 June 2020, 07:49 PM   #1
ModestCollector
"TRF" Member

ALS - Boutique or AD

Hello,

First time posting here...

When (if) lockdown ever ends I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Lange 1 (rose gold, non moon-phase). (I only buy new so not interested in buying used despite large discount).

I have a good relationship with a well-known AD in London who stock ALS watches and could probably negotiate a decent discount (c.10% maybe). HOWEVER... there is something appealing about buying from the new ALS boutique on Bond Street. I don't know why - but buying from there would perhaps be more memorable in years to come? (I am a sucker for the buying "experience".)

Are there any benefits from buying from the boutique? Are discounts negotiable? Buying from the AD (just around the corner) is likely to hold me in good stead for purchasing future watches from other brands (thinking hard-to-get Rolex's, Pateks etc). OR.... do I go somewhere like Harrods and take advantage of their reward points scheme?

I wondered what people's thoughts are for point of purchase?

Thanks.
ModestCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:24 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestCollector View Post
Hello,

First time posting here...

When (if) lockdown ever ends I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Lange 1 (rose gold, non moon-phase). (I only buy new so not interested in buying used despite large discount).

I have a good relationship with a well-known AD in London who stock ALS watches and could probably negotiate a decent discount (c.10% maybe). HOWEVER... there is something appealing about buying from the new ALS boutique on Bond Street. I don't know why - but buying from there would perhaps be more memorable in years to come? (I am a sucker for the buying "experience".)

Are there any benefits from buying from the boutique? Are discounts negotiable? Buying from the AD (just around the corner) is likely to hold me in good stead for purchasing future watches from other brands (thinking hard-to-get Rolex's, Pateks etc). OR.... do I go somewhere like Harrods and take advantage of their reward points scheme?

I wondered what people's thoughts are for point of purchase?

Thanks.
If you have a good relationship with an AD I would support the AD and he will support you.
The Boutique is run by some great guys and I deal with them but discounts don't happen.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:34 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

AD, as this builds your purchases to acquire other brands too.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:36 AM   #4
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

It’s one thing to not want to buy preowned , it’s another to only buy new from boutique and forgo 15% off . Blimey
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:36 AM   #5
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I can't fathom ever being willing to pay more for no reason. Go with whoever gives the best deal and you can afford more watches
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:45 AM   #6
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I bought mine from a London AD - the boutique is an extension of that same AD. Not sure if it makes a difference functionally (unless there is a boutique-exclusive model you're after).

I'd go wherever I could get the watch I want, new, for the best price. The 'experience' is pretty meaningless once you walk out the door...
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 01:45 AM   #7
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
AD, as this builds your purchases to acquire other brands too.
In London, the AD and boutique have a centralised system, so it'd be logged...

Moot point whether you want to shop with either, though.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 02:16 AM   #8
ModestCollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
If you have a good relationship with an AD I would support the AD and he will support you.
The Boutique is run by some great guys and I deal with them but discounts don't happen.
Thanks, this could be a deal breaker... if the boutique do not discount then I think that is decision made. Pointless paying more unnecessarily.

I wonder how the 'experience' of buying will change in the new socially distant world...
Old 10 June 2020, 03:03 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
In London, the AD and boutique have a centralised system, so it'd be logged...

Moot point whether you want to shop with either, though.
Thx, good to know.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old 10 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #10
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Welcome to the forum. To be honest I think 10% is a very average discount for Lange, I was offered 20% off after strong negotiations from an AD a few years ago for a L1 MP but I still went grey and bought new at an even larger discount.

Personally if there was a small difference between boutiques/AD and greys then it is no brainer but when you are paying quite a bit more for the same timepiece then that premium is difficult to justify the buying experience.

Take the savings and buy another nice watch unless you want to build a rapport to secure a piece such as the Odysseus.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 05:02 AM   #11
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

There is very little that building a relationship with a Lange boutique can do for you unless you plan to spend many hundreds of thousands with them. Go the AD route, save money and maybe you can get a future allocation.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 07:06 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I was offered a discount at the US boutique in Costa Mesa, California about 18 months ago.

Try to get a price quote from an AD, then tell the AD you want to build a relationship but can they try to match or at least give you a small discount? Then ask for the free stuff (loupe, carrying case, deployant, straps etc. etc. etc).
Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 07:13 AM   #13
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Experience should be similar however should be easier to get a discount from the AD. My 2 cents. I buy my ALS watches from an AD and they are usually kind enough to give me a decent discount.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 08:08 AM   #14
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

Take it at the boutique and then order an Odysseus for me please. They don’t want to sell me that watch :(
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 08:25 AM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I bought my Zeitwerk from an AD that runs the boutique as well in Chicago. They were great to work with. My bill of sale had the AD on it which I don't mind at all since they deal other brands I might want something from in the future.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 12:24 PM   #16
az2598
"TRF" Member

I was proactively offered a 10% discount on an AP 1815 up/down without even asking, and then after basically a 5 minute ended up a bit above 15% at a prominent NYC AD.

Think 20% is definitely possible based on my experience and don't know why you would ever go the boutique route if you can get 15 - 20% off and build history with an AD that covers multiple brands!
az2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 05:39 PM   #17
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberg View Post
Take it at the boutique and then order an Odysseus for me please. They don’t want to sell me that watch :(
Buying a few pieces and having a relationship at a boutique won't get you an Odysseus. Don't feel bad.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 06:51 PM   #18
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Buying a few pieces and having a relationship at a boutique won't get you an Odysseus. Don't feel bad.
Thanks. I’m said that because Lange refused my request and precised that they reserve the Odysseus for their best clients...
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 07:30 PM   #19
Pongster
"TRF" Member

No ALS boutique where i am. The most a boutique was able to offer me abroad was the VAT refund and a free strap i think. Didnt take it. Just tried on watches. It’s an experience still. :)

But i dont think the boutique buying experience is worth the 20 to 30% discount our local AD gives. What’s important to me is the watch wearing experience.

I suppose a boutique is perfect for items (if any) that AD’s are not allowed to sell.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 08:37 PM   #20
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Yeah the real question is whether to buy boutique only 1815 chrono at boutique or the discounted but barely legible
black dial 1815 chronograph at AD!
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 09:10 PM   #21
ModestCollector
"TRF" Member

I thought a 10% discount would be pushing it. Now I'm hearing of discounts of 20% - 30% I'm starting to get excited.

From experience, what would be the best tactic to get such a discount? I'm looking at a Lange 1 so there is hardly a shortage of these so hoping to get as much off as I can.
Old 10 June 2020, 10:58 PM   #22
KBM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Yeah the real question is whether to buy boutique only 1815 chrono at boutique or the discounted but barely legible
That's an easy one. Rg black dial, every time.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 12:53 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
...or the discounted but barely legible
Don't do it imho. Would rather wait (nearly) forever than get a timepiece my eyes can read. Was offered the black dial SS 'tona a few times from a few dealers and passed. Waited for the first dealer who offered white dial... and glad i did :)

Old 12 June 2020, 02:48 AM   #24
anselm
"TRF" Member

Decision points, if you plan to buy multiple pieces, want to get access to hard to get models like the Odysseus and invited to VIP events, then boutique but offset is no discount.

if you only want a single model or don't care about VIP events, then AD, Gray, wherever you can get the best price.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2020, 12:08 PM   #25
Pongster
"TRF" Member

My local AD invited me to a VIP Lange event even if i had not bought one.

Well, that invitation made me buy one.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 03:42 AM   #26
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
that's an easy one. Rg black dial, every time.
x2
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 04:54 AM   #27
macct
"TRF" Member

Agree with “anselm”. It depends on your longer term goals. I have purchased a few Langes over a number of years, but that means nothing to Lange and the boutiques. It is also clear Lange is moving to be more boutique centric. If you think at some point you are going to want something special, you will need standing with a boutique. Personally, I would go AD, grey or preowned. There are very few Langes that hold their value well to be captive to a boutique even if I miss an opportunity for a special model.
macct is offline   Reply With Quote