The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 November 2020, 08:03 AM   #1
broham84
"TRF" Member

Bvlgari NYC Boutique Review

Apologies in advance for the long read.

Been in this hobby for more than 15 years, I have never visited any watch/jewelry boutiques that left me feeling disgusted like the Bvlgari 5th ave store.

About a month ago I contacted the store to inquire about a special edition (Octo Finissimo Tadao Ando) watch limited to the Japanese market. The sales associate (Jose) at the time was very helpful/pleasant and located the piece and arranged the shipping to NYC. As part of the deal, he assured me that he is authorized to give me 15% discount and he would convince the store manager to give me additional 5% to a total of 20% discount on the time piece. I happily left a deposit not thinking much else before leaving the store since they are a large brand and my experience from dealing with large brands have always been very positive. Fast forward 3 weeks (this past Monday), I got a call from the store manager (Alexander) telling me that Jose had left the company and he’ll find someone to help me since the watch had arrived in the store.

Prior to heading into the city (I live in NJ) today, I called and texted the manager to let him know that I would be going in to pick up the watch today. I didn’t get any response back, so I called the store and spoke to a sales lady (Maria) and let her know that I will be coming today and the agreement (20% discount) I had with Jose. She told me I’d have to work that out with the manager who isn’t working today, but she ensured me that we will be able to get a hold of him when I get there. My wife and I drove an hour to the store and was told there will be no discount on the piece because it was a special order. In addition, there is a list of people now waiting for this particular watch. At this point I am a little upset, not only they aren’t honoring the deal and they have been going around contacting other customers and advertising that this piece maybe available (since they knew they’d be backing out of our agreement). So I asked them to call Alexander so we can work this out. To my dismay, Maria tells me that in the morning Alexander had told her that there will be zero discount. They could’ve had the decency to tell me this over the phone before I leave the house so I can have sometime to react to it, especially I tried to reach out to both Alexander and Maria through calls and texts. At this point it dawned on me that they knew about the agreement I had with Jose while he was still an employee with Bvlgari. Alexander purposely ignored my calls and texts and pulled this shady and callous move so they can sell this piece to someone else at full price.

I understand businesses are in it to maximize profit, but agreeing to a deal and then backing out is shady to say the least. Not having the decency to let me know before I get to the store is a callous move especially they knew I’d be coming from NJ. a couple of thousand dollars isn’t a huge deal, but out of principle, I decided not to purchase this piece or any other products (was going to get a serpenti bangle for the wife as well) from this establishment.

Thank you for taking your time to read my encounter with this store. I understand my business means nothing to Bvlgari, but this truly left a bad taste.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:17 AM   #2
sukurux
"TRF" Member

That’s fucking ridiculous and unacceptable as a business. They should have that assisant manager’s head on a stick. Definitely not going there. Thanks for the heads up and goodluck with whatever watch you get as a substitute.
sukurux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #3
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
These things happen, and now, in the pursuit of increased profit with less demand for luxury goods, they may appear more often. Sorry to read this story, luckily their boutique is not the only one in the US. Hope you can find a friendlier salon that will make your dream come true.
Old 1 November 2020, 08:47 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Absolute stupidity on their part.

Someone should send them the thread and ask them how much they're losing now.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 09:04 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Hope they get stuck with the watch. Bad business practice. I’ve had similar stunts pulled and I’ve had terrific things done for me by ADs. Guess who I return to?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 09:30 AM   #6
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Seems like Bulgari NYC just lost an otherwise enthusiastic client and potentially others after reading this thread. Fortunately there are many other great manufactures out-there competing in a similar price bracket (and likely also other Bulgari retailers in NYC that can help if Bulgari is what you have firmly set your heart on).
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 09:36 AM   #7
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I wonder it they would even give a cow dropping about having this info publicly distributed on watch websites.

If someone jerked me around, making me drive a long way for naught, I would be pretty steamed.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 10:44 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, that is indeed bad form by the store. Perhaps contact Bvlgari's USA office and explain the situation.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Very poor form. Very lousy experience and sorry you had to experience it.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 12:59 PM   #10
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, that’s terrible. I’ve visited that boutique before but now will have second thoughts about doing business with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:20 PM   #11
broham84
"TRF" Member

Guys, thank you so much. It really means a lot to me, hearing support from fellow enthusiasts makes my night much better.
Old 1 November 2020, 09:48 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
It's not good. But maybe jose was a liar to begin with.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 10:17 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham84 View Post
Guys, thank you so much. It really means a lot to me, hearing support from fellow enthusiasts makes my night much better.
That's what i love about TRF, we work together. But yeah, call Bvlgari's USA office and let them know the facts (keep emotions aside).

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old 1 November 2020, 11:05 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened and it is not a good business practice. I will not say typical, but stories like this hit on occasion on TRF and it always makes me think about how I would respond if faced with a similar circumstance. In this case, I would say is it about the watch, the discount or just the poor customer service. For me, all three would be in play but I would have decided if I wanted the watch enough to pay retail. If not, then it is a walk, if so, then the watch would be mine. Things change and unless you have a deal in writing or some other manner that the seller can be held accountable for you only have their word and you see where that got you. Looking back and leaning for me might have entailed paying for the watch in full, with stated discount, before arrival and having all information documented in a receipt or some other type of document. I get the disappointment of the OP, he is suppose to be posting an "Incoming" and a review of a cool watch. Such is life and the watch hobby, but that still does not make it right. Go find the watch you want from a different dealer or just skip the brand altogether and share this story with everyone.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 01:04 AM   #15
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

I agree. Bad form and bad faith on behalf of the boutique. Short sighted behavior now losing you as a potential client forever to make a bit more profit. Like you I purchased my Octo from a boutique at a discount and also a serpentine ring for my wife. Now she wants more! Now they have lost that business with you. Makes little sense and I’m sorry you were rightly disappointed.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 01:16 AM   #16
snarkq
"TRF" Member

Terrible customer service... hopefully you can find a boutique who respect your business and care about building a relationship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 06:58 AM   #17
broham84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
That's what i love about TRF, we work together. But yeah, call Bvlgari's USA office and let them know the facts (keep emotions aside).
100% agree. I sent an email to their store director, because I wanted to give her a chance to enhance their customer treatment. Will see how she responds.
Old 2 November 2020, 07:28 AM   #18
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Very low
Old 2 November 2020, 12:42 PM   #19
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for writing this and naming the folks to avoid, it’s really helpful to us all especially since Bulgari has been putting out good stuff.

For anyone in that area interested in the brand I’d say go to Cellini. Good people in there especially Danny G (very well known)
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 11:46 PM   #20
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Contact HQ and explain the situation. I reckon they will not be too pleased with the Sales Associates' behavior.

Something tells me they'll make it right. If not - well, no more Bvlgari.
Old 3 November 2020, 12:26 AM   #21
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Hope to hear Bulgari HQ’s response. Expect they may make it right and correct the situation. I only deal with boutiques if I have to do so, which does sound like the situation with the watch you wanted. I like discounts.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 12:50 AM   #22
77T

As you work out the details with Bvlgari (presuming your email gets a favorable reply) is that watch now open for purchase in the boutique?
Maybe I missed that detail in the opening post.

Second thought, what do you have in writing from the deposit transaction with Jose? If nothing, then it may seem to local management as if this was an opportunistic ploy to lever a discount. Not taking sides, just trying to understand the verbal “ contract” if none exists on paper.

With no paperwork stating the discounts, it appears like a deposit for a promise of delivery without final pricing. Not taking sides - just unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 01:41 AM   #23
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm sorry to hear you got sold out, pretty short sided of them, it's all about the money to some.. glad to hear you walked and are not giving them any of yours. That Alexander is not so great, in fact he sounds more like Alexander the Punk. Take your business to someone who appreciates having you as a customer. There are so many dealers in and around NYC someone should be able to source that particular model your after. I live in Michigan and was looking for a VC Overseas last December with no luck at all near or at msrp, after one call to a dealer near the NYC area (Hartsdale) I had it the next day with a smokn discount to boot. That was the best deal I've made and I never even met them.. They had to make more than one of those limited editions your looking for, with a little patience you'll find it..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:17 AM   #24
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
I agree. Bad form and bad faith on behalf of the boutique. Short sighted behavior now losing you as a potential client forever to make a bit more profit. Like you I purchased my Octo from a boutique at a discount and also a serpentine ring for my wife. Now she wants more! Now they have lost that business with you. Makes little sense and I’m sorry you were rightly disappointed.
Not only with OP. They have likely lost potential future clients from people reading this thread. Myself being one of them.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 04:20 PM   #25
broham84
"TRF" Member

Once again, thank you so much for your support. I cannot express how much it means to me that you read my story and show me your support. Moments like this make me think this is one of the best hobby with the best people in it.

The store director called me today, she was very apologetic and mentioned that I confirmed her suspicion (she just started 2 months ago) the entire staff there needs additional training. She offered to take my wife and I out for lunch. Although I politely turned her down, it was a very nice gesture. That’s all I asked for. Hopefully, she will be able to turn things around for this store. Bvlgari did a fine job coming up with this line, especially the Tadao Ando edition. Maybe in the future I’ll look into this piece again, but for now I’m ready to move on.

On a separate note, we stopped by Wempe after leaving Bvlgari on sat. The experience was extremely pleasant, tried on the ALS 1815 chrono, wow what an amazing time piece!
Old 4 November 2020, 01:19 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for posting and am glad they're making it right, or at least open to doing what makes you happy as best they can. We've all had various experiences at stores, and nice to see Bulgari got back with you swiftly.

Please don't give up on the brand, as it seems they are 'transitioning' per se and so yeah, employe training may need to be upped a bit. The Octo really is an amazing timepiece imho.

Old 4 November 2020, 03:29 AM   #27
beefeater21
"TRF" Member

Great to hear they're working on the issues! Thanks for helping them find those issues too.

I was in the boutique at the Short Hills mall in NJ to get a bracelet resized recently, and I have to say they were all extremely pleasant there even though I didn't buy from there. They even resized my bracelet "unevenly" so that it would fit my wrist better. Didn't need to ask, they just knew and did it right. Very pleased with my experience there, so there's certainly hope for the NYC boutique.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
beefeater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:12 AM   #28
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

This version did pretty well in the recent Phillips:
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 07:58 AM   #29
Watchflair

Watch: Love em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
This version did pretty well in the recent Phillips:
Was thinking this same thing - limited edition piece. I am surprised that Jose was able to offer such a substantial discount on a limited piece they had to bring in - doesn't seem right to me but who knows.

If you liked it I would have probably bought it considering the secondary market on it - I know some things are principal but...
Old 12 November 2020, 01:51 PM   #30
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Don’t attribute to malice what can come from negligence. No details in writing, sorry bud.