The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2006, 03:09 PM   #31
aaron850

Watch: GMT II Blk/Blk
My local AD in Az is Marshall Jewelers.

I found Ramerica(www.watchesandwaches.com) based out of LA, and they were able to connect me with the watch I have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang427 View Post
The $3950 you paid is obtainable at a AD if you do enough hunting around.
I wish this was the case for me, everyplace I called back east wouldn't budge on the price, I guess I need to work on my negotiating skills!
aaron850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 03:29 PM   #32
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome to TRF Aaron. Sorry I'm late but I've been travelling.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 05:08 PM   #33
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron850 View Post
ok just came back from the AD...

let me start of by saying, I take terrible pictures. Those of you who thought it something was wrong, sorry for misleading you. I have and official rolex. I wont get into the specifics but the rolex repairman gave it a lookover and it was legit. Also a side by side comparison with a black and red, and pepsi GMT they had there showed no differences. Crown guards, bezels, weights, links, fonts, and most importantly movements matched up.

Next step is getting some respectable pictures, lol!
That's excellent news, Aaron. We are all happy for you. Now before you even start to take pics, wipe off all those bloody fingerprints!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 09:33 PM   #34
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my AD wanted $4850 out the door, I got it for $3950

was this little bit of hassle and self doubt worth $900?

I don't know....

what I do know is that I am on cloud nine and one of my two markers for career success has been attained!
Aaron
Here in Perth Aus my ad said 5 months plus $7500. I eventually got the watch (a real sd) for $6000 immediately from a "grey" dealer. Now the ad thing is wonderful, I'd love to walk into a shop and drool over all those Rollies like the guy in Vegas can, but I can't. I have 3 Rollies, none of them were bought from an ad but all of them were well researched (with advice from folk like you'd find here). So my wish for my next Rolex, is to buy it from a real ad.

I am so glad yours is real..

PS Yeh and wipe off all the fingerprints, that's what your shirt is for!!!!!
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 02:11 PM   #35
aaron850

aftre looking at tons of pics i have one question

why is the sub's crown guards set farther out than the ones on the gmt?
Old 16 September 2006, 02:17 PM   #36
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
aftre looking at tons of pics i have one question

why is the sub's crown guards set farther out than the ones on the gmt?

Maybe due to the larger triple-lock crown on the Sub
Old 16 September 2006, 02:42 PM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Maybe due to the larger triple-lock crown on the Sub

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 16 September 2006, 03:20 PM   #38
aaron850

duh, thank you...

you would think a relatively smart engineer like myself would be able to come to that conclusion
Old 16 September 2006, 03:23 PM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
duh, thank you...

you would think a relatively smart engineer like myself would be able to come to that conclusion
No worries, Aaron....we all make mistakes!!

Old 16 September 2006, 06:24 PM   #40
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great news Aaron always better to be safe than sorry and now you have peace of mind.Wear you watch in good health which is the most important,your watch will last a life time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 09:09 PM   #41
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Congrats Aaron...I am glad you got yourself officially into the 4 arm club...LOL.
Fine looking timepiece...enjoy.

Cheers
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 10:27 PM   #42
frank bullit
Banned

Phakes.

Is that a genuine Nikon you're using?:

I think you need to get to an AND FAST! (Authorised Nikon Dealer)

If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.
(Except sometimes, when the old pixel monster bites!)

Nice watch! (As we say at TRF), you must be extremely relieved and delighted!
Take care of it, and it will last a lifetime.

All the best , FB.

Last edited by frank bullit; 16 September 2006 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: smelling mislake!
frank bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 11:29 PM   #43
Paratrpr Tom

Watch: BLK GMT II
Congratulations Aaron, you have yourself a fantastic watch.

Tom
Paratrpr Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 12:09 PM   #44
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
I think it's interesting that everyone says that you should bring the watch to your local AD to have it authenticated or to have them pop open the back of the watch to check the movement.

My local AD has the opposite policy. If you don't have a relationship with their store, and simply walk in off the street and ask them to authenticate a Rolex, their policy is that they WILL NOT do that, and they will refer you to a RSC. They say they do not authenticate watches.

I'm sure that since I have a relationship with them they would attempt to do it for me, but they don't have a watchmaker on premises, so won't open the watch.

On an interesting side note, my patient that works at the AD said he had a guy come in and the guy told him that he purchased a SS sub date on the internet and asked my patient if he could "authenticate" the watch. My patient told him it was against the store's policy. So, the guy asked to see a "real" sub date and stood and compared the two watches for about one half hour and then left the store.

The guy came back 2 days later and said he returned the sub he bought on the internet, since it was only $400 less than the one in the store, and then purchased the ss sub date from the AD.

Now the AD is VERY suspicious and warned the other employees in the store to watch out for this guy attempting to return the watch, to make sure he doesn't pull a "switch". They even made a note in the computer that if the guy does return the watch, to pull off the band and make sure that the serial number matches.

Apparently, they've had this scam attempted on their store a few times, and someone actually got away with it once.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 12:12 PM   #45
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
I think it's interesting that everyone says that you should bring the watch to your local AD to have it authenticated or to have them pop open the back of the watch to check the movement.

My local AD has the opposite policy. If you don't have a relationship with their store, and simply walk in off the street and ask them to authenticate a Rolex, their policy is that they WILL NOT do that, and they will refer you to a RSC. They say they do not authenticate watches.

I'm sure that since I have a relationship with them they would attempt to do it for me, but they don't have a watchmaker on premises, so won't open the watch.

On an interesting side note, my patient that works at the AD said he had a guy come in and told him that he purchased a SS sub date on the internet and asked him if he could "authenticate" the watch. He told him it was against the store's policy. So, the guy asked to see a "real" sub date and stood and compared the two watches for about one half hour and then left the store.

The guy came back 2 days later and said he returned the sub he bought on the internet, since it was only $400 less than the one in the store, and then purchased the ss sub date from the AD.

Now the AD is VERY suspicious and warned the other employees in the store to watch out for this guy attempting to return the watch, to make sure he doesn't pull a "switch". They even made a note in the computer that if the guy does return the watch, to pull off the band and make sure that the serial number matches.

Apparently, they've had this scam attempted on their store a few times, and someone actually got away with it once.
Isn't it amazing the lengths theser scumbags will go to to make a few hundred bucks. If they put that kind of intelligence to work in the real world, they could make a good honest living.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 06:41 PM   #46
aaron850

I went into my AD and the on-site rolex repairman looked it over (OK), beforehand I compared mine with the pepsi the had in stock, dead on.

After explaining the whole situation to the salesman I had been dealing with he tried to find defects rather than find similarities.

Its the human factor, if I tell you that woman's got fake breasts, it doesn't matter how many times you sleep with her you're still gonna try to find a flaw to say they are fake, rather than just enjoying the ride!
Old 18 September 2006, 06:44 PM   #47
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Its the human factor, if I tell you that woman's got fake breasts, it doesn't matter how many times you sleep with her you're still gonna try to find a flaw to say they are fake, rather than just enjoying the ride!
Great analogy!! I'd rather enjoy the ride first, last and forever!!

Old 18 September 2006, 06:47 PM   #48
ji603
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
nice

Hiya from Phoenix...

Glad to see you got the weight lifted off your mind. I like the new GMT II font on your watch too.
ji603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 12:14 AM   #49
tag_addict

Watch: T-Touch Carbon
In my city, the rolex rep went to my fav AD and was lookin inventory over. In the meantime a man who purchased a rolex unofficially from the owner of the jewellery store i was working at (at the time) (big rivalry between the two, personally b/w owners), came in and was looking at more rolexes. He mentioned that he purchased the sub from us and the rolex REP took it and said, "yep its a fake for sure." (just because we werent an AD).
We got him fired and sued rolex. :) Instead they gave us the opportunity to carry their brand and we stupidly declined. (damnit).
Anyway, ADs are just as stupid as most people when it comes to telling apart fakes, and reps sometimes are no different :)
Congrats
i think the GMT will be my next purchase. beautiful
tag_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 12:57 AM   #50
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i went to that ramerica site, its looks like thier prices are a little steep, i guess its because they are in LA

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 03:37 PM   #51
aaron850

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemmtee View Post
i went to that ramerica site, its looks like thier prices are a little steep, i guess its because they are in LA

i was looking in the robb report (not one of my usual mags) and I saw a backpage ad for ramerica to buy used watches from the extremely wealthy...
Old 20 September 2006, 01:41 AM   #52
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
i was looking in the robb report (not one of my usual mags) and I saw a backpage ad for ramerica to buy used watches from the extremely wealthy...
lol no wonder thier prices are way high, its like highway robbery there!

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 01:59 AM   #53
howitzer

Watch: GMT Duce
I made my recent GMT II purchase from Bernard Watch in Austin. I was very nervous about this but after doing my research and talking to them on the phone, I made the deal and it was worth it. They even gave me a 2 week return gurantee (policy is 3 days). My local AD in NYC is Toreneau and they sell for full list price on everything in the store, no haggling period. I now have my sights on a SS white-face explorer and i would not hesitate going back to Bernard.
howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote