The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2021, 01:57 AM   #31
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
The OP is more interesting than most regular basic Rolex models (submariner, explorer, datejust, ...). You do realize this.
How so?
Old 7 July 2021, 02:03 AM   #32
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I would say that they do keep all the models in the back safe, at least most AD's. They're waiting for the right deal to come along for them. If a customer walks in and spends a considerable amount on other items such as jewellery, they want to be able to entice this buyer with for example a SS Daytona which they have waiting in the back.

They might not run to the back and bring it out instantly but they will call you a couple days later and pretend they just received it, I've seen this happen first hand.
I’m sure that there is some truth in what you say but that cannot be the same for every shop across the UK.

From what I have been able to glean from my AD (part of WoS), they can check stock at each other’s shop, so if you want x and another store has it then they can pull from that store.

Although whether a ‘hot’ watch would be willingly released from another store remains to be seen, somehow I doubt it.

However you are right that in many cases, you leave the store today only to get the call a day or so later giving the impression that miracles do happen.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 02:32 AM   #33
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Or perhaps if you are a big spender, you get first call on new stock arriving. Hence the 1 to 3 week waits for those who've hit big numbers.

And what about AD's who are boutiques or just sell a limited range of watch brands?

I'm sorry, I don't buy this stock in the safe waiting for VIPs or big spenders. Certainly not as a general rule.

It makes little sense for an AD to be sitting on stock waiting for someone to come in and spend tens of thousands over and above the cost of the Sub/GMT or whatever.

For starters, If I had that amount of disposable income I'm not going to be using that to buy jewellery as leverage to buy a mass produced stainless steel watch. Or even want to buy a mass produced stainless steel watch for that matter. You'd be significantly cheaper going grey (unless you had planned to buy, for example, and expensive engagement ring or other gift.

Seriously, a SS Daytona isn't that special. Neither is a PM one for that matter (and I owned one). If I've got £100k to spend, I'm not buying a s/s submariner.

And secondly, it makes no sense for any business to have hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever sitting in a safe "just in case" a high roller comes in and wants to bundle. Particularly when said high roller can be prioritised when the next delivery from Rolex arrives (which I know are received by AD's on a regular basis)

I'd venture that its as simple as VIP's and those with decent purchase history getting prioritised when new stock arrives over those that don't.
I think it’s a bit of both. I’ve been present when a ladies watch was purchased and a TT Daytona magically appeared from the back.

A colleague who is a VIP was brought to the back room and given a choice of hard to get SS pieces and when a drawer was opened there was 10-15 hot SS pieces held back.

It would be prudent for AD’s to hold back a % of stock to sweeten jewellery and other watch deals
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:04 AM   #34
cwill
"TRF" Member

"Rolex stopped being watches now little more than ££££$$$€€€€ objects." blah blah it's all over the forum mod
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:08 AM   #35
V E E R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1 +1 +1

They have all the models sitting in the safe waiting for the big spenders to come around. The line of "we don't have any in stock" is simply not true.
Seems like a crazy business model to me. I've purchased so many other watch brands in the past few years because I can't get the Rolex models I want.
V E E R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:10 AM   #36
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I'm enjoying my new Omega Seamaster...paid $4100 cash and had it the next day.

It's a beautiful watch.

That's about 30% under retail with tax and well under a third of the cost of a new Sub's grey price.

Will pick up a Sub again at a more advantageous time.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:43 AM   #37
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
OP, sounds to me like either they're trying to underpromise and overdeliver, or they're simply telling you to beat it. And I would def play the for your father card especially it being truthful. Good luck!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 04:49 AM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYJ150 View Post
Before everyone starts to moan at me for posting something which has been posted a million times....Sorry in advance!

ive bought several watches from from my local store (they have been very good to me in the past, some examples include:

116710 LN - wait time was 7 weeks 2018
116610 LV - wait time was 3 months 2019
116710 BLNR - wait time was 8 months 2018
114200 - didnt wait (had stock) 2019

Im added the above for context, nothing else (certainly not boasting)

NOW (2021)......Im trying to get a sub date (in black) for my Dad but my word, my local store has told me it I will be waiting a very long time, perhaps over the 12 months mark. Is anyone else experiencing similar wait times despite a decent track record w.r.t previous purchases?

Just interested
Cheers
Buy him an omega
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 05:02 AM   #39
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Got a 116610LN for my son in 2019 (As recognition for some achievements ),then in 2020 I got a 124060 for myself ..he likes the no-date better ,so stole my 124060 .So,I hit back with a 126610LN in 2021 ....

Dont mess with pappa ..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:05 AM   #40
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
People are on waiting lists for OP's, things are ridiculous.
Haha, my SA said that very thing 6 months ago…
Old 7 July 2021, 06:07 AM   #41
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke@TRF View Post
jewellery purchases outweight watches, at approx. 2-3:1 ratio based on my understanding, especially if they are in-house made brands. Def have a conversation with your SA about the reason for your purchase. Good luck
Yeah, been looking for a tt dj for my wife and we stopped by a local ad (they had total of 10 watches on display, only 3 in 36mm - 2 dadydates and 1 tt dj with diamond markers). The sa said if you bundle like $10-20k of jewelry, you can get a ss sub easily (originally she said daytona, then quickly retracted apologizing that she meant a sub).

I asked what if I just want to wait and not bundle. Her response was why wouldn't I want to bundle if I can get one fairly quickly.
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:36 AM   #42
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Or perhaps if you are a big spender, you get first call on new stock arriving. Hence the 1 to 3 week waits for those who've hit big numbers.

And what about AD's who are boutiques or just sell a limited range of watch brands?

I'm sorry, I don't buy this stock in the safe waiting for VIPs or big spenders. Certainly not as a general rule.

It makes little sense for an AD to be sitting on stock waiting for someone to come in and spend tens of thousands over and above the cost of the Sub/GMT or whatever.

For starters, If I had that amount of disposable income I'm not going to be using that to buy jewellery as leverage to buy a mass produced stainless steel watch. Or even want to buy a mass produced stainless steel watch for that matter. You'd be significantly cheaper going grey (unless you had planned to buy, for example, and expensive engagement ring or other gift.

Seriously, a SS Daytona isn't that special. Neither is a PM one for that matter (and I owned one). If I've got £100k to spend, I'm not buying a s/s submariner.

And secondly, it makes no sense for any business to have hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever sitting in a safe "just in case" a high roller comes in and wants to bundle. Particularly when said high roller can be prioritised when the next delivery from Rolex arrives (which I know are received by AD's on a regular basis)

I'd venture that its as simple as VIP's and those with decent purchase history getting prioritised when new stock arrives over those that don't.
It's definitely not one or the other, it's a mix of both. I guarantee you the majority of AD's have plenty of coveted SS sports models sitting in the back waiting for the right time. That goes for AD's in the UK, Canada (where I'm currently located), USA, EU etc...
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:41 AM   #43
fitnesstrainer
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126660
I am experiencing this as well....I have a very extensive purchase history with my AD and a long-standing relationship. I've now been waiting 14 months for a SD43 - VERY frustrating. I'm just not quite ready yet to pay 30%+ over premium at a grey dealer, though that time is getting closer each day.
fitnesstrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:43 AM   #44
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
I'm enjoying my new Omega Seamaster...paid $4100 cash and had it the next day.

It's a beautiful watch.

That's about 30% under retail with tax and well under a third of the cost of a new Sub's grey price.

Will pick up a Sub again at a more advantageous time.
I plan to get a Seamaster at some point. All I hear is vigorous praise & raves over latest generation. With that said, the "more advantageous time" to get a Sub might occur after the next Ice Age.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 09:33 AM   #45
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveralone View Post
Will you even want a Sub in 8 years?
Lols right….it won’t even be in production, then you’ll be put on the new list at the bottom for a 13 series.
Stupid games.
All this bundling and bs is just creating more stock for grey markets. It’s not helping, all the dumb rules ADs are adding are making it so regular people can’t buy a Rolex and realistically, regular people are the biggest real customers.

Wealthy people are being forced to bundle, so they play the game and flip the bs pieces. Build a relationship, ok fine, so guy buys some bs DJ and flips it while he waits. Greys are vips, so either they just get what they want straight always or they too buy bs crap to get the gems which they flip.

If anyone believes that oysterflex Daytonas and every Daydate combo is sold out worldwide because they are such hot sellers, you’re delusional. Everything is flying out the door and immediately being flipped. That’s why there’s every pm you could want bnib for sale at large.

At some point whenever that may be, it will hurt Rolex in some way. Their allocation strategy for everything ss is immensely flawed. Across every industry they have some form of allocation, Birkin bags, 911 GTs, etc etc but people can still get a 911 4s, Macan, other Hermes products. A brand that falls into a category where the majority of sales are happening by divisive strategies and a large percentage of “those” sales just wind up brand new for resale will have a hard time with longevity.

Right now, no average normal person with the means to buy a Rolex can actually walk in and buy one or even see one. Every business needs real customers and new customers of the past and present, but most importantly the future.
Right now Rolex’s biggest customer base is past and present owners and the resale market trading back and forth. No new customers are coming in…..at least not in the quantities one would expect. How can they when they walk in to ask for Datejust, they can’t see one, nor buy one and get on a list, a list for a watch? Ask for a Submariner and they pretty much laugh at you.
The new and real “Rolex way”.
Weird times.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:47 AM   #46
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
There is no list, at least not in my town.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 11:11 AM   #47
WhichWatchWhichColor
Banned

Quote:
People are on waiting lists for OP's, things are ridiculous.

The Yellow OP is selling in grey market for 2.5 times MSRP. Insane. My AD offered me a Yellow, Red and Blue OP just last winter. Didn’t want one then, but now I’m second guessing myself. The Yellow looks awesome in person and it just POPS.
WhichWatchWhichColor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 01:36 PM   #48
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
it is gotten worse.
my local
ad’s have 5 watches if! nowadays on display . I’m
vip amd they still can’t get much
lately.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 02:10 PM   #49
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Subs are the new Daytona.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:03 PM   #50
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
How so?
What is more special, a yellow OP or a submariner?

Simple as that. Look at the price for which you can get them, and then look at the current value. A sub isn't doing those numbers, going x2 or x3.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:11 PM   #51
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Got a 116610LN for my son in 2019 (As recognition for some achievements ),then in 2020 I got a 124060 for myself ..he likes the no-date better ,so stole my 124060 .So,I hit back with a 126610LN in 2021 ....

Dont mess with pappa ..
But you do have a 16610 with the proper movement Neef?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 06:31 PM   #52
Ensign
"TRF" Member

The bar has been raised once again. VIPs don’t draw much water at ADs anymore. Now ‘ya got to be a V-VIP to rate a pro model.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 07:38 PM   #53
DYJ150
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your replies.

I was hoping it would be a case of 'I waited X time for a sub in London/south east' but I guess its not that clear cut.. you would think im used to this after my relatively recent purchase history but we have had a global pandemic and a guess things can change a lot in 2-3 years with Rolex.

I will keep you posted if I do get anything, for sure though, I will not be going grey!
DYJ150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:26 AM   #54
gold&black
"TRF" Member

If your VIP or have a significant purchase history the sub is an easy one to get.

I got mine in 2019 together with an OP no bother. It has gotten a lot harder since!
gold&black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:56 AM   #55
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What is more special, a yellow OP or a submariner?

Simple as that. Look at the price for which you can get them, and then look at the current value. A sub isn't doing those numbers, going x2 or x3.
Agree. If I walk into a bar and a stool is open next to a guy wearing a sub and a guy wearing the yellow op, I am definitely sitting next to the OP guy
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote