The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 July 2021, 09:20 PM   #1
Mike507
"TRF" Member

Rolex ruined my other watches

Years ago when I got into watches I really didn't like the idea of getting a Rolex. To me they seemed overhyped and the type of watch that people bought to show off.

So my first big purchase was a speedy pro, because that was a grail for me. I loved and have continued to love everything about it. Since then I've had a Frederique Constant, Nomos Club, Cartier Santos that the wife let's me wear on the spare strap, and a Zenith Defy.

Recently I got an op 36 silver and a YM at the same time and my world view seems to have dramatically shifted. I was super excited by the op, until I saw the YM moments after making the purchase, and was told the next day that I could actually purchase the YM. Phew.

So now I find myself not overly loving the op silver (not sure the gold does it for me) and absolutely loving the YM, but i am a little scared to overwear it due to the PCLd and platinum bezel. It's a watch I'd like to keep for best and maybe wear a couple of times a week.

Even worse is that I find myself not loving the speedy anymore, it feels clunky and inaccurate compared to the rolexes. And the lack of 5mm extension bothers me more than ever.

I'm contemplating asking for a sub now, because I can wear that more as a beater, and selling the speedy if/when I can get one. I'd then keep my FC and the op more for my work watches and wear the YM for best.

Am I mad, or has this happened to everyone else that gets their first Rolex?
Mike507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:28 PM   #2
joeboy
Banned

Any photos? I had a seismic shift in mind once my sub was on my wrist. Began to appreciate for its aesthetic, thought, design and quality in a real way rather than a trophy. They are fantastic devices and I enjoy it every day. All the best to you.
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:31 PM   #3
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
No, I enjoy my Rolex’s and like to wear them more often than my Omega’s, but when I put on my Omega’s after a month or so off the wrist it’s like ‘wow’ why have I been leaving you in the box.

Enjoy your R’s, in a few months pull that Speedy out of the box, wind it and just sit back and look at that dial, those hands, and how the whole thing comes together, it’s just brilliant.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:34 PM   #4
taipan168
"TRF" Member

G'day mate, hope that you're not locked down this weekend.

I have two Rolexes, both vintage - a 16750 GMT from 1985 and a 5500 Air-King from 1970.

Like yourself, I had a Speedmaster Pro, a Seamaster as well as a titanium Longines Conquest and a Tag Heuer S/EL before I bought my Air-King. The Speedy is a really special watch with unbelievable heritage so I'll never sell it, and subsequent to that I've bought a couple of JLCs (a Master Geographic and a Reverso) as well as a vintage Heuer and some other pieces, none of which any Rolex could replace. So I'd say that the Rolexes definitely play their part in my collection but haven't supplanted anything.

As the value of my Rolexes (and in particular the GMT) has gone up, I find myself wearing them less. Although Sydney is a safe city, it is in the back of my mind that the replacement cost of the watch would be at least A$20k which does sort of make me pause a little...

Have contacted a couple of ADs to go on the list for the new 36mm Explorer so let's see how I go with that!
taipan168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:35 PM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Rolex has its place

It’s just the pinnacle of sports watches.

But there are so many other watch types to enjoy from classic watches, dress watches, military watches, concepts, complications and grand complications.

If you are just into divers or time only steel sports it’s a tough playground which Rolex does boss.
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
When I was looking to buy my first fine watch, I was determined to avoid Rolex. I wasn’t going to be that Rolex guy…yuck! That was about 6 years ago, now I have 3, and I’m looking for a fourth. Nothing quite has that Rolex magic, for the Rolex price (retail).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:52 PM   #7
Mike507
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboy View Post
Any photos? I had a seismic shift in mind once my sub was on my wrist. Began to appreciate for its aesthetic, thought, design and quality in a real way rather than a trophy. They are fantastic devices and I enjoy it every day. All the best to you.
pics attached. Had to switch to the laptop. Excuse the giant scratch on the hesalite of the speedy, its about to go in for a service.

Randomly I've got a 20 year old piaget altiplano white gold incoming as well. So i'm probably a bit heavy on the dress watches at the moment.

I'd certainly keep a couple of non-rolexes in the rotation, and I especially am wowed by my wife's Santos, but its hard now that I have experienced it. I feel like i've seen the light.
Old 18 July 2021, 10:02 PM   #8
peterpl
Banned

Just relax a bit.

Your in Rolex delusional heaven at the moment with being in the honeymoon period, especially these being your very first Rolex's.

You'll realise once the honeymoon period runs out another Rolex model will haunt your thoughts and the cycle just continues. It will continue until you get several models and realise many Rolex's are very similar and very simple 3 hand watches of most them with 1 or 2 additional complications like GMT or chrono.

Then you will start looking at other brands again. And around we go again.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:03 PM   #9
taipan168
"TRF" Member

Very nice collection! I think that each of those watches has its part to play, if you get a good rotation going you'll come to appreciate each of them for what they can offer.
taipan168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:08 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nice collection Mike.

I enjoy several different brands equally but differently. If a watch speaks to me I love wearing it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:10 PM   #11
Mike507
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Just relax a bit.

Your in Rolex delusional heaven at the moment with being in the honeymoon period, especially these being your very first Rolex's.

You'll realise once the honeymoon period runs out another Rolex model will haunt your thoughts and the cycle just continues. It will continue until you get several models and realise many Rolex's are very similar and very simple 3 hand watches of most them with 1 or 2 additional complications like GMT or chrono.

That's good advice.

It's nothing I will rush into though, and I am hoping that I love my speedy all over again when it comes back from a service. I wore it hard for a number of years, so it needs a good clean and polish.
Old 18 July 2021, 11:05 PM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike507 View Post
pics attached. Had to switch to the laptop. Excuse the giant scratch on the hesalite of the speedy, its about to go in for a service.

Randomly I've got a 20 year old piaget altiplano white gold incoming as well. So i'm probably a bit heavy on the dress watches at the moment.

I'd certainly keep a couple of non-rolexes in the rotation, and I especially am wowed by my wife's Santos, but its hard now that I have experienced it. I feel like i've seen the light.

Nice collection. Variety is the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 11:46 PM   #13
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I haven’t found another brand that can replace Rolex. I appreciate a lot of the other brands, but I don’t get the same enjoyment from them.

I appreciate the Speedy’s history, but it has never really appealed to me. I think it is large and don’t like the bracelet. But at least you can purchase them.

The Tudor chrono is great, but thick. I don’t understand why Tudor doesn’t make all of their watches thinner.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:02 AM   #14
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I have 3 Rolex pieces (half my collection). The others are a Speedy Pro, Reverso, SKX, acquired in that order.

My taste has evolved a bit as others have departed (2 Breitling, 2 Rolex, 1 Oris).

My collection is pretty dialed in, but I have a emotional connection to Oris, since that brand was my first “nice watch”. Nothing in their lineup currently catches my eye that could stand alone in my collection.

I wouldn’t be worried about “over wearing” your YM. If you still want to split time, you have your OP. It’s a great watch. If you want to add a Sub, add it because you want it, not because you want it to fill a role. That role can be filled by any number of less expensive watches.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #15
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
My newest watch always displaces the established watches in my collection for a time. The way I know it’s time for a new watch is when I start rolling the other ones back into rotation.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:26 AM   #16
Emiliomcol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
I have to agree with others here, once the honeymoon period with Rolex end you will get to enjoy again your Speedy, I try to rotate all my watches including my Omega and I have to say love it and enjoy wearing the SeaMaster as much as any of my Rolex, I am actually in the hunt for my second OMega to keep the variety.

Emiliomcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:55 AM   #17
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats. This is normal.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:57 AM   #18
Jrsanchez
Banned

How big is your yacht master
Jrsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 01:00 AM   #19
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

See, I kinda have the opposite. My first “nice watch” was a rolex, and I added a few before getting into other brands such as AP, GS……etc.
I absolutely love and appreciate every rolex I have but…….
I now have another level of appreciation for attention to details and fine craftsmanship realized through other brands

Rolex is mostly meant to be a “tool watch” and it does a phenomenal job as such, but there are other brands that are at a totally different level when it comes to details, movement decoration, design……etc.
Old 19 July 2021, 01:08 AM   #20
iaymnu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II/GMT2c
I just acquired an Omega Seamaster 36mm ceramic bezel and it fits so much more comfortably than my OP39 Exp39 and my Maxi-sub.

I’m on the other side that another brand swayed me from wearing my Rolex.
iaymnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 01:31 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaymnu View Post
I just acquired an Omega Seamaster 36mm ceramic bezel and it fits so much more comfortably than my OP39 Exp39 and my Maxi-sub.

I’m on the other side that another brand swayed me from wearing my Rolex.
Sounds like another watch swayed you from wearing the watches you own. Try a DJ36 and a five digit Sub. You’ll be back.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 01:51 AM   #22
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would keep the nomos and speedmaster as you may appreciate them later. I’d keep the FC as I don’t think it will get much on sale. Add a sub, be content then leave the forums. The longer you stay the more you will get tempted and your collection will continue to evolve to no end.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 02:06 AM   #23
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
No, I enjoy my Rolex’s and like to wear them more often than my Omega’s, but when I put on my Omega’s after a month or so off the wrist it’s like ‘wow’ why have I been leaving you in the box.

Enjoy your R’s, in a few months pull that Speedy out of the box, wind it and just sit back and look at that dial, those hands, and how the whole thing comes together, it’s just brilliant.
+1 Sub + Speedy = awesome
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 03:54 AM   #24
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Sell the OP.
Get a DD for something different and classy in your collection.
Keep the Santos and Speedy.
Don't know about FC
Add a Daytona sometime if you can
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 04:05 AM   #25
zab
"TRF" Member

Get a sub, sell the YM and Oyster, and get a DJ or DD, 36
zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:09 AM   #26
ShougekiMaru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Just relax a bit.

Well said!

ShougekiMaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:13 AM   #27
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Honeymoon phase of new Rolex ownership. You will eventually get a itch to wear those watches again.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:53 AM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I wear other brands too ,just depends on mood .
Panerai,JLC,IWC
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:09 AM   #29
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've been wearing my Timex Marlin reissue for about a week now and I'm going to rotate through my more modest pieces for next month or so.

I can't afford a stable full of high-end watches and even if I could, I'd probably still buy inexpensive watches that appeal to me.

I think you're in a honeymoon phase with the YM and you should give it time before you do anything rash.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:47 AM   #30
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
No. Rolex is nice, for sure. Many of the other top brands meet or exceed in different aspects for a fraction of the price. That is why my first Rolex, which has been followed by a Tudor, Omega, and Breitling, will likely be my last.