The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #1
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

YM2 all metal bezel

It’s never been my passion to own WG, but after waiting since 2008, the launch of YM2, for this watch to become available in ss with an all stainless steel metal bezel insert (raised numerals), I finally gave in and purchased a pre-owned 116689. It’s a fantastic watch, and everything I ever expected, but that blue insert bezel was just not my cup of tea, and put me off buying new for so many years !
Why haven’t Rolex produced this watch with the alternative ss bezel insert, or even in titatium as presented to our top skipper? They could have had me purchasing a new watch, rather than going ‘pre-owned’!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Because the YMII is a halo watch in the Rolex hierarchy to show Rolex’s technical abilities. It was never designed to be a high volume and mainstream model. The watch was only introduced in precious metals then after a few years it was introduced in SS with blue ceramic bezel. That made the watch somewhat more affordable but really nailed the SS trend/demand that still exist. Rolex also nailed the color and hue of the ceramic bezel and watch face with that SS/Ceramic introduction. Ceramic bezel is more durable and easier to read with the platinum numeral inserts. Rolex pulled a similar PM to SS strategy with a SkyDweller.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 01:36 AM   #3
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The watch was only introduced in precious metals then after a few years it was introduced in SS with blue ceramic bezel.
I hopefully made that clear, as I said I had been waiting since 2008 when I first saw the Rolex brochure featuring the watch in either YG or WG. The perfectly designed low key raised numerals on the metal bezel insert (I only now see the edge that marks the outline of the insert) might be subject to scratches in YG/WG, but in SS they would be more durable. Stainless steel makes the watch lighter to wear and I'm not into 'kermit' or 'bluese' watches. the blue insert on the YMII is OTT for me, why not navy blue !!
Old 17 July 2021, 04:00 AM   #4
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Its a Rolex tradition. A PM YMII is a heavy watch to start with and that is a lot of the appeal of PM. There is no way anything but a PM bezel will happen with the possibility of a ceramic bezel “could” make a appearance on the YMII PM models as that is still in the Rolex tradition play book. The very early PM YMII had the 4160 movement that was upgraded to the 4161 in late 2013 to resolve some stutter issues of the 4160. Since then, the 4161 movement has been trouble free and a very accurate.

My SS YMII is my favorite model and I have owned about them all.
Old 17 July 2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Mystro;11584253] The very early PM YMII had the 4160 movement that was upgraded to the 4161 in late 2013 to resolve some stutter issues of the 4160. Since then, the 4161 movement has been trouble free and a very accurate.

Very informative info about the movement. When an RSC service is carried out, are the early 4160 movements upgraded in any way to 4161 or do I have to expect some 'stutter', what is it?
Old 17 July 2021, 06:40 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t know what Rolex did to stop the “stutter” during button activation in the 4160 movement. Obviously they changed something significantly to rename the movement to the 4161. I believe I read there was a fox Rolex did to the initial 4160 movements but not sure if it then was a significant fix to be classified as a 4161.

This is a video of the 4161 and it’s complexity.

https://youtu.be/-MoNYR86-U8

Old 19 July 2021, 06:21 AM   #7
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Thanks again Mystro for the additioanal information.
I haven't experienced anything like 'stutter' on my 2008 model. Guess it must have been fixed sometime.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:43 AM   #8
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Zsprings I agree entirely with your view. I loved the watch but not the garish bezel on the SS, so like you I went for the WG when they were unloved, about two years ago, paying just 23k for what I consider as one of the most underrated Rolex out there.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:48 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Zsprings I agree entirely with your view. I loved the watch but not the garish bezel on the SS, so like you I went for the WG when they were unloved, about two years ago, paying just 23k for what I consider as one of the most underrated Rolex out there.
You stole it at that price.
Old 19 July 2021, 07:04 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
Thanks again Mystro for the additioanal information.
I haven't experienced anything like 'stutter' on my 2008 model. Guess it must have been fixed sometime.

Very good chance it was. When pushing the top button to activate the countdown, watch the red second hand and see if the red hand starts and stops crisp. Next test: Then while the Chrono is running, push the lower right button to fly back or forward and see if the red hand snaps back just as crisp. These were the two actions that had some stuttering.