The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2021, 02:34 PM   #1
NB93
"TRF" Member

SS spring bars in a gold day date

Hi there,

Seeking some advice regarding SS Spring bars in my 18038.

When I purchased the watch it had after market spring bars which quite honestly were super annoying as they were worn down and difficult to take out without the watch copping a scratch. So I decided to replace them with eBay after market spring bars for the time being for ease of removing the bracelet when required for cleaning. I have read in a few older threads that SS on gold presents a major issue with hollowing out the lug holes over time.

But at the time I figured I just need something more practical in there rather than the plated worn down rubbish currently. The watch at some stage will need servicing to replace the glass/dial, is it worth waiting until then to rectify it and get proper spring bars or should I sort this out soon? The watch is worn roughly twice a week at the moment.

Cheers everyone!
NB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 03:43 PM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I would change those earliest for original ones. Even if that means a service is required. Rolex did not make them for nothing out of gold.
Once your holes are worn the end links never fit nicely again and it will be a difficult fix.
Old 19 July 2021, 05:50 PM   #3
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I would change those earliest for original ones. Even if that means a service is required. Rolex did not make them for nothing out of gold.
Once your holes are worn the end links never fit nicely again and it will be a difficult fix.
I agree with this, as an 18038 owner myself, spring bars must be made of 18ct gold
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:53 PM   #4
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Just had a quick look on eBay and there are a pair of genuine Rolex gold spring bars listed for £139, I’d buy them if I was you
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote