The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2021, 04:56 PM   #31
Frnkbonz
"TRF" Member

36mm daydate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
What an amazing piece. This is my grail watch. What is the weight of this beauty and is it heavy on the wrist? Would really appreciate if you could share your experience wearing it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Its a watch that lets you know “its a boss”. Weight wise.... I would say close to a pound maybe. For me, I got hooked on PM due to the weight. Like anything else, you get used to the weight of the watch and my wrist is 7.5”. What I can say is that this watch is balanced and sits nice on my wrist. A fully 25 link watch is perfect for me. I did take one link out to see how it felt .....it was snug and doable, but I definitely prefer it to be a hair loose on the wrist. Rolex does sell 1/2 link and full links. Its a watch that does not have micro adjustments. I suggest to wear any DD to see what works for you. You do feel the weight when lifting your arm, but I enjoy that and I do not get wrist fatigue. Its a stealth wealth watch and I feel comfortable wearing it all around. Most people will not notice which I like. I did own a YG blue sub.... got too much attention (for me it was good attention and definitely some hotties I caught checking it out...like how us guys check out girls ti*s. We look, but don’t want to get caught lol). The YG sub was partial fundings for this watch with zero regrets. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frnkbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 06:49 PM   #32
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

Just as a word from a very picky person. Im 31, i have 20cm (7.87 inch) wrist size. I have always had rather large watches due to many factors, being 6,1 and having larger wrists, personal tastes, and being unaware how trends impacted my search. I can honestly say that i am the last person to jump on a trend and in most cases i will purposefully do the opposite . But everyone kept saying how bigger watches was the future and the natural progression of watch making. This made sense and found larger watches like Panerai very fitting. Then when I started seeing women wearing 36mm DJ's it really seam like larger wasn't just a trend, but a growing period for both the industry and case sizes.
Fast forward 8+ years and last year for my 30th i ended up getting a 36mm DD in YG.
I tried the 40mm and it was great! And still to this day i lust after them and love seeing wrist shots of the 40mm. With that said, the 40mm (to me and my personality/lifestyle) has too much wrist presence with the president bracelet. On a strap, the 40 looks really good, but that bracelet is a HUGE part of what makes a DD a DD.

I can say after a year of ownership the 36mm has been such a great experience and provided me an outlook on watches, tastes, style and proportions i would have never of found others wise. BUT i really do think for me, this personal growth was a lot easier with it being yellow gold, rather than white gold or platinum. Not saying it isn't possible, and I'm quite certain the outcome would have been the same. But it was easier due to the color and the associated power gold has on the human eye.

As a daily watch, the size is PERFECT. I love wearing it and the proportions are just "YESSS!!!" but, and a big BUT, I do notice i get a little more attention than i'd like wearing it. This isn't all the time, and most will say its our subconscious, but I'm 100% certain that its the watch just by observing body language routinely. I know that most would say to get get either W.G, or platinum and its more discrete, and i would be the first to agree with that. However, for me, Y.G is like having a freshly detailed black car. It just has so much depth to it that i can get lost in the warmth, feel, and character of the metal which made it the easy choice in my book.

Hope this helps and sorry for my rambling.
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 03:06 AM   #33
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I am a bigger guy, 7,25 in wrists and I wore a 36mm daily. I also had no issues going casual. I changed to a 16618ln as I use a timing bezel constantly, but a DD is a great daily wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.JPG (53.0 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.jpg (70.4 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0471.jpg (86.9 KB, 364 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #34
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Go for Platinum or WG if you want to be more discreet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1874.JPG (100.0 KB, 352 views)
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 03:46 AM   #35
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
just be glad you can pull off a 36mm. jealous !!
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 04:00 AM   #36
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
just be glad you can pull off a 36mm. jealous !!
Big guys can pull off 36mm. You tell him it's too small!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clay2.jpg (43.1 KB, 341 views)
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 04:10 AM   #37
SN13
"TRF" Member

Even goes with Green Plaid Flannel.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 04:12 AM   #38
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

I’m a fan. Go for it.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 04:17 AM   #39
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
Big guys can pull off 36mm. You tell him it's too small!
so true ! although he probably does have small wrists, but i guess it really is just very much based on perspective
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #40
jankymutt
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyk View Post
Just as a word from a very picky person. Im 31, i have 20cm (7.87 inch) wrist size. I have always had rather large watches due to many factors, being 6,1 and having larger wrists, personal tastes, and being unaware how trends impacted my search. I can honestly say that i am the last person to jump on a trend and in most cases i will purposefully do the opposite . But everyone kept saying how bigger watches was the future and the natural progression of watch making. This made sense and found larger watches like Panerai very fitting. Then when I started seeing women wearing 36mm DJ's it really seam like larger wasn't just a trend, but a growing period for both the industry and case sizes.
Fast forward 8+ years and last year for my 30th i ended up getting a 36mm DD in YG.
I tried the 40mm and it was great! And still to this day i lust after them and love seeing wrist shots of the 40mm. With that said, the 40mm (to me and my personality/lifestyle) has too much wrist presence with the president bracelet. On a strap, the 40 looks really good, but that bracelet is a HUGE part of what makes a DD a DD.

I can say after a year of ownership the 36mm has been such a great experience and provided me an outlook on watches, tastes, style and proportions i would have never of found others wise. BUT i really do think for me, this personal growth was a lot easier with it being yellow gold, rather than white gold or platinum. Not saying it isn't possible, and I'm quite certain the outcome would have been the same. But it was easier due to the color and the associated power gold has on the human eye.

As a daily watch, the size is PERFECT. I love wearing it and the proportions are just "YESSS!!!" but, and a big BUT, I do notice i get a little more attention than i'd like wearing it. This isn't all the time, and most will say its our subconscious, but I'm 100% certain that its the watch just by observing body language routinely. I know that most would say to get get either W.G, or platinum and its more discrete, and i would be the first to agree with that. However, for me, Y.G is like having a freshly detailed black car. It just has so much depth to it that i can get lost in the warmth, feel, and character of the metal which made it the easy choice in my book.

Hope this helps and sorry for my rambling.

Very cool hearing about your journey.

I only have SS watches but I am planning a DD purchase to celebrate a milestone.

A lot of people talk about the “attention” you get with a PM watch. Can you elaborate on what type of attention you get?

Do you catch people staring at it? Do people ask you about it?

Old 9 January 2021, 06:46 AM   #41
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Any DD works with casual attire imho.
Old 9 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #42
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankymutt View Post

I only have SS watches but I am planning a DD purchase to celebrate a milestone.

A lot of people talk about the “attention” you get with a PM watch. Can you elaborate on what type of attention you get?

I find that I get LESS attention from my YG DD than from other watches.

I've been stopped twice and asked about my watch when wearing an Omega.

I've been stopped Once while wearing my Seiko MM300 "Is that a Rolex?"

I've been stopped Once while wearing a microbrand watch "Hey, what type of watch is that".

My DD 36, most people assumed was a gold tone quartz from afar.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 08:52 AM   #43
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

Go for it!

downtorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 08:57 AM   #44
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a sport watch, it goes with anything
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 08:58 AM   #45
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
The 18038 and 118238 ‘wear’ larger than the 18238. The 18038 because of its thicker case and the 118238 because of the wider lugs and bezel. Regardless, bigger people can wear any of them 36mm is a classic size and will never go out of style.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 09:17 AM   #46
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankymutt View Post

I will certainly try my best, and mind you this has been talked A LOT about on the forum. I have read post after post trying to find new perspectives which i haven't thought in hopes to bring clarity to such an ambiguous and situational perception.
From my assessment of personal experiences there are 2 elements at play. 1. Geographic/demographics. And 2. Human nature w/ implied personal subliminal messaging..

For context I live in Southern California, specifically Orange County 2 miles from the coast. There is a lot of wealth here but its comes in many different ways and forms. California from what many i'm sure people have been hearing, and seeing, is fragmented. Most will blame COVID, but the pandemic really just accelerated and amplified the preexisting issues.

To best describe how a PM Rolex has on people would be in two words, "Wealth-Envy". The hipster movement, which was infecting minds 10 years ago had a passive aggressive attitude towards uplifting the vulnerable and insecure to believe that "less is more".
Well, as it maybe be obvious to many at this point, i rejected that philosophy and lifestyle and worked, studied (in and out of school), worked and was very strategic on how I made life decisions. By hard work, good fortune, and opportunity I was able to reach a point of being a proud owner of a PM Rolex.

For people 40Y.O and older i dont see what im about to describe often, but people between 21 and 35ish i do. This age group which, which i am a member of is where i receive the most impolite, passive aggressive and sharp looks from. Typically from either retail and service industries or run-of-the-mill office sheep who value conforming and complacency more than anything.

In essence this mentality and behavior is a form of the cancel culture towards anything that says, "I rejected the ideology of 'less is more', and because of it, i have more and you have less". Since i did not partake in this group-think mindset, and have an item (Rolex DD) that symbolizes accomplishments, it almost becomes a personal attack against them since they dont have one.

I know this all sounds like a huge generalization and a very skewed outlook on society. To me these thoughts are almost vulgar and repulsive to even consider these things, but i would be lying to my self and everyone else if I did not share these experiences and the energy i've spent trying to understand them.
Tommyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 09:33 AM   #47
YTimepiece
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't answer that
Dd 36

Happy New Year all! Op, I am 6’6 and not slim w/8.5” wrists and I wear my gold DD all the time! Excellent, classic and still makes me smile every day. Best of luck.
YTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 09:34 AM   #48
YTimepiece
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't answer that
MY DD is a 36 btw. I actually had a 40 for a while and went back to my 36. Both great.
YTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 10:19 AM   #49
RampageWatch
Banned

Quote:
I will certainly try my best, and mind you this has been talked A LOT about on the forum. I have read post after post trying to find new perspectives which i haven't thought in hopes to bring clarity to such an ambiguous and situational perception.
From my assessment of personal experiences there are 2 elements at play. 1. Geographic/demographics. And 2. Human nature w/ implied personal subliminal messaging..

For context I live in Southern California, specifically Orange County 2 miles from the coast. There is a lot of wealth here but its comes in many different ways and forms. California from what many i'm sure people have been hearing, and seeing, is fragmented. Most will blame COVID, but the pandemic really just accelerated and amplified the preexisting issues.

To best describe how a PM Rolex has on people would be in two words, "Wealth-Envy". The hipster movement, which was infecting minds 10 years ago had a passive aggressive attitude towards uplifting the vulnerable and insecure to believe that "less is more".
Well, as it maybe be obvious to many at this point, i rejected that philosophy and lifestyle and worked, studied (in and out of school), worked and was very strategic on how I made life decisions. By hard work, good fortune, and opportunity I was able to reach a point of being a proud owner of a PM Rolex.

For people 40Y.O and older i dont see what im about to describe often, but people between 21 and 35ish i do. This age group which, which i am a member of is where i receive the most impolite, passive aggressive and sharp looks from. Typically from either retail and service industries or run-of-the-mill office sheep who value conforming and complacency more than anything.

In essence this mentality and behavior is a form of the cancel culture towards anything that says, "I rejected the ideology of 'less is more', and because of it, i have more and you have less". Since i did not partake in this group-think mindset, and have an item (Rolex DD) that symbolizes accomplishments, it almost becomes a personal attack against them since they dont have one.

I know this all sounds like a huge generalization and a very skewed outlook on society. To me these thoughts are almost vulgar and repulsive to even consider these things, but i would be lying to my self and everyone else if I did not share these experiences and the energy i've spent trying to understand them.

Like what your’e saying here^

The DD 36 is a great piece, and can be dressed up or down. OP go for it!

RampageWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:02 AM   #50
Low-Key
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageWatch View Post
Like what your’e saying here^

The DD 36 is a great piece, and can be dressed up or down. OP go for it!

+1. I live at the beach most of the year (Tommyk, you’re probably not too far inland of me!), also in South County. And your observations are spot-on. It isn’t the locals (who make up the general consensus of thought) that are the problem, but rather the cancel culture mentality of “others.” Though I’ve got a few years on you, I’m branded a “hipster” strictly in style only. When i consider which watch to put on in the morning, I prefer not to weigh opinions of the “other type” of hipster out there- I.e. the young adult living off of their parents while awaiting some government handout that “they’re entitled to.” As you mentioned, those who came before generally worked for their accomplishments.

More to OP’s point, around here, a President (gold or platinum) and a pair of Rainbows can be worn year-round. Ask me how I know.
Low-Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:33 AM   #51
ABrolex
"TRF" Member

Love my 118238. My wrist is a under 7" so it was a no brainer Vs the DD40 which looks like the watch is wearing me. Goes great with my daily jeans and tshirt uniform. You wont regret it. It's a classic
ABrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #52
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I think a DD on someone under 40 and dressed casually looks great. A really good contrast.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 06:07 AM   #53
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonkris66 View Post
Im just about to turn 31 and have always loved the solid gold daydate. I very rarely dress in anything smarter than jeans and a tshirt. Do you think a daydate is to flash or could i get away with it. Any photos would be appreciated.
Flamingo's love Rolex YG Day-Dates!

The DD goes anywhere, does anything, it's a watch, if you like it, go for it and enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_Aruba_Flamingo2.jpg (189.1 KB, 242 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:13 PM   #54
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
I think the gold bracelet can be a bright in some circumstances and you can't really hide that much gold real-estate on your wrist. Maybe you could always got down the leather strap route, that way you can change up the straps to refresh the look.
Old 15 January 2021, 11:25 PM   #55
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good write up. I’m in the same age range s you mentioned. There is growing hostility between the wealth gaps and COVID-19 has accelerated that. People either use your parents get you that? Even if they did who cares, none of your business.

Back on topic DD 36 looks great, I say go for it. One of my favourite watches.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 12:56 PM   #56
sadiqtrading
"TRF" Member

Rolex is always good😊
sadiqtrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 07:01 PM   #57
rodo
"TRF" Member

I got mine at that age also. I think it wears best with a tshirt and bathing suit
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 09:20 PM   #58
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

You can definitely wear it casually. I pretty much dress casually exclusively and wear my DD40 all the time.

I personally couldn't get used to the 36mm size. It just didn't feel right to me but that is a very personal decision / preference
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 10:33 PM   #59
zab
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
You can definitely wear it casually. I pretty much dress casually exclusively and wear my DD40 all the time.

I personally couldn't get used to the 36mm size. It just didn't feel right to me but that is a very personal decision / preference
The way that RO occupies your wrist in your avatar suggests the contrary to me, that a 36mm DD would have been the appropriate size.
zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 12:05 AM   #60
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

36mm daydate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
The way that RO occupies your wrist in your avatar suggests the contrary to me, that a 36mm DD would have been the appropriate size.
My avatar is my 15450 which is 37mm but wears more like 39mm due to the integrated lugs. I prefer watches in the 39mm-40mm range

It's a close up picture so it looks larger than it actually is. That being said - like I said ... it's a personal decision. There is no right or wrong answer.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote