The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2021, 03:31 AM   #1
jjackson99
"TRF" Member

Is it worth it to fix bracelet stretch?

I have a sea dweller and the bracelet seems like it's starting to stretch a bit. Noticeable spacing between the links and you can see the bracelet sag if you turn it sideways. I'm wondering if it diminishes the value at all having someone like rolliworks or other weld it and if it's a good long term solution? Or should I just leave it as is? Can provide pictures to show what mine looks like if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
jjackson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #2
zewill
"TRF" Member

Do provide a pic. It’s always better. Are we talking old tin bracelets that look like they belong on a low quality watch? I don’t trust my old seaD bracelet, I wear it on nato or other straps. I wanted to buy a new one but it was quite pricey compared to the quality and fit of the bracelet. I would say yes, get a quote. No it will not devalue it.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:42 AM   #3
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Yes, its worth it. Generally there is no 'welding' involved. The links are simply separated and new bars are inserted thus taking up the wear. The wear is largely on the connecting bars in the links and not the links themselves.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:51 AM   #4
Ferdelious
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
100% worth it if the stretch is noticeable.
Old 21 July 2021, 05:28 AM   #5
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes, if you wait for the links to grind away at each other you need welding to fix it. Now probably only new pins
Old 21 July 2021, 05:34 AM   #6
jjackson99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes, if you wait for the links to grind away at each other you need welding to fix it. Now probably only new pins
Looks like they're quoting for "welding" already. Any experience with rolliworks and them only charging for actual PIN replacement if that's what the issue is only? Or am I paying this price regardless of what they do?
Old 21 July 2021, 05:45 AM   #7
77T

You’ll need to inspect your own bracelet, talk with them, and send it in to get actual final estimate.

Do you want to share some pics here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 05:51 AM   #8
The_boxing_duck
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
i think it's worth it to fix a stretch bracelet but again, that's just me
The_boxing_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:31 AM   #9
jjackson99
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1593090132

At the bottom. I can't figure out how to add image here now for some reason.
Old 21 July 2021, 07:11 AM   #10
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603 & 25407N
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackson99 View Post
I have a sea dweller and the bracelet seems like it's starting to stretch a bit. Noticeable spacing between the links and you can see the bracelet sag if you turn it sideways. I'm wondering if it diminishes the value at all having someone like rolliworks or other weld it and if it's a good long term solution? Or should I just leave it as is? Can provide pictures to show what mine looks like if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
How old is the watch/bracelet. Honestly unless it's some ancient bracelet on it's last legs it'll be fine for now.

e: after looking at the picture, just leave it be. Looks totally fine and comfortable.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:21 AM   #11
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I’d get it fixed because saggy bracelets are a pet peeve of mine.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:25 AM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Rolliworks is great!

Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:28 AM   #13
77T

Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/attachme...1&d=1593090132

At the bottom. I can't figure out how to add image here now for some reason.

While that “stretch” isn’t severe, we should understand what is happening. The pins that connect each link to its neighbor are wearing down a little bit at a time. But the wear isn’t even across all pins.

Bottom line, the risk of severe stretch is a pin failing at the worst possible time. Who’s to know when and where?

If you take off the bracelet, put on a strap or NATO, then you can send the bracelet in for a quote while still wearing your watch - and go from there.

Old 21 July 2021, 07:43 AM   #14
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

While that “stretch” isn’t severe, we should understand what is happening. The pins that connect each link to its neighbor are wearing down a little bit at a time. But the wear isn’t even across all pins.

Bottom line, the risk of severe stretch is a pin failing at the worst possible time. Who’s to know when and where?

If you take off the bracelet, put on a strap or NATO, then you can send the bracelet in for a quote while still wearing your watch - and go from there.

If modern Rolex bracelets are likely to fail with that level of stretch, then I'll pour one out for the legendary durability and engineering of Rolex bracelets.

You should see the stretch of my 1603's jubilee bracelet!
Old 21 July 2021, 07:46 AM   #15
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
If modern Rolex bracelets are likely to fail with that level of stretch, then I'll pour one out for the legendary durability and engineering of Rolex bracelets.

You should see the stretch of my 1603's jubilee bracelet!

I stated it wasn’t severe. But any single pin could be more worn at a point than a bracelet with severe stretch.

What OP does, or anyone else does, is totally their choice.

Old 21 July 2021, 08:04 AM   #16
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I stated it wasn’t severe. But any single pin could be more worn at a point than a bracelet with severe stretch.

What OP does, or anyone else does, is totally their choice.

Sure, but your phrasing appears pretty alarmist. There's very little wrong with the bracelet OP posted from the pictures provided.
Old 21 July 2021, 08:09 AM   #17
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
Sure, but your phrasing appears pretty alarmist. There's very little wrong with the bracelet OP posted from the pictures provided.

What part was alarmist?

OP wanted to know about cost and the only way to do that is send it in for a fair estimate.

Old 21 July 2021, 08:13 AM   #18
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I had a 35+ year old jubilee bracelet and getting it fixed was a major upgrade. It is ready for the next 35! Highly recommended
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 08:15 AM   #19
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I had a 35+ year old jubilee bracelet and getting it fixed was a major upgrade. It is ready for the next 35! Highly recommended
My jubilee bracelet is similarly fanged. It'll need some work in the next few years but having a 40+ year old jubilee is a bit different to the modern Oyster bracelets which are barely sagging due to the wear on the pins/links.

If anyone is really worried about their bracelet, you can always change it for a strap!
Old 21 July 2021, 08:44 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Depends on circumstance. If the watch is valuable to you and you plan on keeping it forever. Yes it is worth it. An example of this would be an inheritance that has significant sentimental value and you plan on wearing it.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 10:26 AM   #21
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

This bracelet is 50 years old and is used daily. I simply can't understand this craziness. On the vintage forum they destroy vintage bracelets daily lol, They jerk out 50 year old Rolex pins to slap some cheap one size fits all pins of suspect origin but their links are tight for a while.

It used to irritate me but then I realized it was making my originals more valuable. :) That oyster sub bracelet shown is perfect, check back with me in 49 years and we'll talk. :)

They are supposed to be "broken in" kids. Learn how Rolex works before starting to destroy stuff, you'll be glad you did. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:11 AM   #22
Throttle
"TRF" Member

Your bracelet looks bad be os the links have already worn each other off due to the sag. Do get the pins replaced to prevent further damage. Otherwise get a set of new links and reuse the clasp.
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 11:15 AM   #23
Time-After-Time
"TRF" Member

About a week ago I posted a picture of my dads YG Presidential that a number of people on the forum recommended I have fixed by Rolliworks.
I happened to take the watch to Rolex Service on Wilshire and asked them to fix the stretch in the bracelet. Rolex said they don't do that and don't recommend it.

I don't really have a stance on this issue. Just sharing what was shared with me.
Time-After-Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:17 PM   #24
Newmoney
Banned

Rollieworks
Newmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:48 PM   #25
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
This bracelet is 50 years old and is used daily. I simply can't understand this craziness. On the vintage forum they destroy vintage bracelets daily lol, They jerk out 50 year old Rolex pins to slap some cheap one size fits all pins of suspect origin but their links are tight for a while.

It used to irritate me but then I realized it was making my originals more valuable. :) That oyster sub bracelet shown is perfect, check back with me in 49 years and we'll talk. :)

They are supposed to be "broken in" kids. Learn how Rolex works before starting to destroy stuff, you'll be glad you did. :)
I’ve never seen a Rolex with an exhibition case back. What’s the story here?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:11 PM   #26
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Is a new bracelet out of the question?
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:53 PM   #27
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me4u2night View Post
I’ve never seen a Rolex with an exhibition case back. What’s the story here?
I enjoy them. :) Rolex movements are a thing of beauty to me and I have these case backs on most of my watches, here's a closer view of the 1968 1603 movement. 52 years old and NOS appearing, look at those screw heads. :)

Here's some more of my collection with the naughty bits showing.

1675, 16030, 1603, 16570

Unlike cheap replacement pins in Rolex bracelets, these cam be replaced with the originals in 2 minutes. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 04:14 PM   #28
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:

Your watch looks amazing - I imagine that it is as comfortable to wear as a favorite pair of blue jeans. Great photography

I think that stretch just works with the jubilee bracelet because it is some much more intricate in construction almost like beads so it seems to just make it easier to wear the looser it gets.

But with the oyster bracelet the solid, sturdy feel is gone which IMHO is one of the main reasons that the bracelet is so comfortable - because it is tight.

Given that they wear differently I would recommend having that done.

I thought that the RSC would do that as part of the basic overhaul should it be requested but someone said they don't do that? Odd
LA_LEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 05:08 PM   #29
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Looks like they're quoting for "welding" already. Any experience with rolliworks and them only charging for actual PIN replacement if that's what the issue is only? Or am I paying this price regardless of what they do?
From the pictures it looks that only a pin replacement would suffice. Personally if already some welding is required I would have that done as well. Saving a few bucks doesn’t make sense for another decade(s) of use.

If you do sent it in tell them not to polish the crown on the clasp. I’ve seen many crowns lost detail or grinded almost flush which look horrible.

Never dealt with Rolliworks but seen good work from them on TRF and some complaints as well. There are other options as well. Still I would give them a try rather than shipping it to the other side of the world.
Old 21 July 2021, 11:53 PM   #30
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

I agree.

I had previously had the bracelet stretch restored on mine, and it’s never quite been the same. It still about a year later has some links that still bind and do not pivot freely about a year later. The rest of them although they do pivot fine they don’t feel as smooth and solid as they did before. The clasp feels a bit off ever since as well. The gaps were not all completely filled in in the links either. It was even worse when I first received it and sent it back once to be further repaired.

Truth be told I think it was just better off with the stretch. Rolex makes a very durable and long lasting bracelet. Unless it’s to the point it’s truly about to break I probably wouldn’t do it or recommend it.

I know a ton of people on this forum love the bracelet restoration services (I believe more for cosmetic reasons than actual function), but unless you have some sentimental reason for wanting to retain that exact bracelet or it’s really worn to the point it’s about to fail I would probably recommend replacement more than these services.

Mine works fine and looks nice but just the overall feel of an original Rolex bracelet versus the restored one, in my opinion it’s no contest.