The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2021, 05:04 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Break-in period on 2232?

Been wearing my new OP34 for a week or so on and off (but keeping wound) and so far seems to be running around +5. I understand that there were always suspicions that the silicone hairspring wouldn’t keep time as well as the parachrome but Rolex still applies the 2 second margin to it. I also keep it face up at night and haven’t played with positioning. All that said, I’d there some kind of break-in period I should give it as a matter of course before fiddling with positioning or considering regulation?

I realize few here have a 22xx movement since this isn’t a big OP34/YM37 crowd but thought I’d ask none the less.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 05:08 AM   #2
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Keeping it face up usually speeds it up. Crown up over night usually slows it.

But, 3 of the 4 Rolex we bought new needed to be adjusted to keep time with specs.
Old 3 September 2021, 05:17 AM   #3
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Danny I think it will get better IMO

My new 126610, granted different movement, was out of "range" as well for maybe a month or so. It then started running according to spec. I'd give it a few weeks before any type of service.

I would wear it a few more weeks. Hack the movement. Then set it to whatever method you are using then remeasure the time lost/gained.

Now that I think of it, I dont think I have ever had any new Rolex, as in BNIB, run spot on right out of the gate.

126610, 216570, 126715, 326934, 326935, and a few more. I usually do exactly as stated and get really good results. My 216570 and the SkyD's have went stretches of losing zero seconds for weeks at a time. Just insane.
Old 3 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #4
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

I've seen similar things discussed before and there are always those who suggest they need some break-in time to loosen up or whatever. The thing that's hard to wrap my head around there is, if that is in fact the case, then how did they pass the internal tests prior to shipping? In other words, IF there were a break-in which impacted the watch's regulation/adjustment and IF it actually passed the factory tests, then shouldn't it show up keeping perfect time but then in the coming months drift out of time?
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 06:33 AM   #5
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I've seen similar things discussed before and there are always those who suggest they need some break-in time to loosen up or whatever. The thing that's hard to wrap my head around there is, if that is in fact the case, then how did they pass the internal tests prior to shipping? In other words, IF there were a break-in which impacted the watch's regulation/adjustment and IF it actually passed the factory tests, then shouldn't it show up keeping perfect time but then in the coming months drift out of time?
Great point. I have also wondered about this but as I have read when its measured at Rolex its uncased I believe and at many different angles etc etc

I'd also imagine that after any movement is measured via COSC that actual movement doesnt go inside a case/watch right away. Could be waaaaay wrong here. Just guessing.

Then lets say when Rolex is putting together/completing any model they choose from a batch of that particular movement that has been sitting. So when started back up there is a adjustment/break in period. Again I dont know. Maybe Bas could chime in here.
Old 3 September 2021, 06:42 AM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Danny I think it will get better IMO

My new 126610, granted different movement, was out of "range" as well for maybe a month or so. It then started running according to spec. I'd give it a few weeks before any type of service.

I would wear it a few more weeks. Hack the movement. Then set it to whatever method you are using then remeasure the time lost/gained.

Now that I think of it, I dont think I have ever had any new Rolex, as in BNIB, run spot on right out of the gate.

126610, 216570, 126715, 326934, 326935, and a few more. I usually do exactly as stated and get really good results. My 216570 and the SkyD's have went stretches of losing zero seconds for weeks at a time. Just insane.
Don't say that! My new Explorer, with a 3230, runs at +1 and I don't want that to change !

Even at +5, I have no plans to send it in (as long as it doesn't get further out of range), especially as I've not even tried different resting positions. While Rolex may claim +/-2, this is still within COSC spec. And, honestly, as this watch "only" has a 55hr PR, it's more likely to need to be re-wound/set more often than my Explorer anyways.
Old 3 September 2021, 06:44 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Great point. I have also wondered about this but as I have read when its measured at Rolex its uncased I believe and at many different angles etc etc

I'd also imagine that after any movement is measured via COSC that actual movement doesnt go inside a case/watch right away. Could be waaaaay wrong here. Just guessing.

Then lets say when Rolex is putting together/completing any model they choose from a batch of that particular movement that has been sitting. So when started back up there is a adjustment/break in period. Again I dont know. Maybe Bas could chime in here.
There's also the fact that if they try it in a bunch of positions, you essentially get an "average" across all of them. However, that's not the reality, particularly at night, where we tend to consistently leave them in the same position.