The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 June 2021, 02:48 AM   #1
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Tropic 19 issues help please?

Hi everyone,

So I have a 1680 that I love...and a couple of years ago I installed a T19 dome from Michael Young. It lasted for about a year or so before it started to crack.

Then I discovered the Truedome D19. Bought one, had it installed and within a couple weeks it cracked.

The guys at Truedome were really kind and sent me a new one gratis. They also told me the retaining ring on my watch likely shrunk and to find a watchmaker who could stretch out the ring with a Rolex Tool 1006.

Fast forward a few months due to pandemic closures and I just had the Truedome replaced. I asked the watchmaker to stretch out the retaining ring and long story short, there are language barriers with my regular guy and while he understood the problem and replaced the dome...maddeningly, within a few days, the crystal is starting to crack again! I don't think he stretched anything.

The cracks are definitely happening in the same place - at the 50 bezel mark.

So, before I go and source yet another bezel and a new watchmaker, i have a few questions for those that know much more than I do.

1) Does stretching the retaining ring affect water resistance at all? (Not that I'm going swimming or diving with this...but the last time I got the dome replaced, the watchmaker did a test and the watch is apparently good to go.)

2) If the retaining ring is stretched will the stretched ring cause issues if I want to reinstall the original top hat crystal?

3) This is becoming too expensive for my tastes but I do LOVE the superdome look of the T19. So far I've used Michael Young and Truedome. I've seen some original T19 service domes available for sale, would these crack too if installed?

4) anyone else been through this sort of thing and have recommendations on a replacement T19 or solutions?
Rolexfax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:34 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I recently had my watchmaker install a truedome d19 on some of my watches. I can confirm it has a slightly thicker wall than the t19 from Rolex. Greg (from turedome) told me the same to tell the watchmaker to stretch with the 1006. My watchmaker has the tool and obliged and I've had it installed on a pair of watches that were pressure tested. No issues with cracking for weeks now. Great crystals and I think it wouldn't be problematic if installed properly since Jacek/Tropicalwatches seems to use the product/cooperate with Greg for the product. I have another few friends who's had it for far longer going on like 8 months plus without issues. That's what turned me to try it.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:54 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

So far I have not had a problem with cracking with either a Truedome or a MY crystal. Also my watchmaker has been able to achieve good water resistance (full pressure test) with the MY crystal, as with a modern service crystal on several of my vintage Submariners (Rolex and Tudor). The water resistance has not been as good with the Truedome. In my limited experience to date, the Truedome has not been able to pass the final stage of the pressure test (submerging the watch under full pressure and then removing the watch from the chamber and looking for condensation inside the crystal with a microscope after placing cold water on the outside of the crystal). Frankly, I'm not sure that all watchmakers actually perform this third and final part of the pressure test, but it is required by Rolex in my understanding.

This is speculative, but it is possible that some watchmakers are having this problem with water resistance and therefore applying more force to try to seat the Truedome better for a good seal, which then leads to cracking. In fact, my watchmaker told me that he was tempted to try this, since sometimes it can improve pressure test results, but he decided to let me make the decision since the crystal is so expensive and he thought I might be satisfied with more modest water resistance. I told him just to leave it, and I still have the Truedome on one of my watches, since it has the best look. The MY crystal has a lot of optical distortion IMO.

Please note that this is just my anecdotal experience that I'm sharing in the hope that it may help someone. I'm not casting aspersions on anyone's watchmaker or on any product, and I fully expect that other people's experience may vary.
Old 17 June 2021, 05:53 AM   #4
lennywilkins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Why would anyone install a snide glass on a valuable 1680? Madness. Give me a slightly less domed, genuine Rolex glass any day of the week.
lennywilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:58 AM   #5
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennywilkins View Post
Why would anyone install a snide glass on a valuable 1680? Madness. Give me a slightly less domed, genuine Rolex glass any day of the week.
Not gonna lie, I've been considering just getting an OEM T19 service crystal instead. Or a LAWW T19.

Issue is, will those crack too?
Old 17 June 2021, 07:23 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

In case you're reading @lancelot, I tried to respond to your PM but your settings don't allow you to receive PMs apparently. My TrueDome hasn't cracked, but as I mentioned, it didn't pass the full 100m pressure test. It's fine for casual water exposure.
Old 17 June 2021, 09:31 AM   #7
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Personally, I’d go with the new D19 from truedome - it’s German plastic, made in Switzerland - I’ve tested both the original and the updated version. The updated is vastly different; threefold stronger.

Also the re profiled service are good strength wise but their contour is off.
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:42 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I've had experience with the MY crystals also. My watchmaker liked them also and they sealed well. But the truedome has a much closer feel to the original t19 hence why I changed over on my watches (have a couple more to go on the conversation).

My watchmaker has had a parts account from Rolex for over 2 decades now and gets overflow work from the local RSC so I'm fairly sure he's thorough with the pressure tests. He didn't mention anything to me besides the thicker walls on the truedome and said he likes them both (MY and truedome).

Personality I have t19s set aside and trust the modern replacements more.... It's no secret plastic is more prone to cracks as they age. Would never swim with these watches anyways due to value and the acrylic x factor.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:42 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If the same watchmaker gets the same results with different acrylic crystals, it is likely a procedural error being made or something uneven between the midcase and/or the retaining ring.

I infer the crystal makers have proper finishing and truly flat on the upper and lower surfaces. But the minuscule diameter differences in tenths of a mm can play havoc. There was a set of long discussions years ago about Clarks replacement crystals, too.

Lastly, a new retaining ring may be in your future with all the manipulation of the old one possibly causing a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:01 AM   #10
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milsub
Hello! A close friend who is a bit more active on TRF than I am lately sent me this thread and so I figured I would chime in in an effort to help.

Firstly, I appreciate the TRF community. This is where my passion for vintage Rolex started years ago and from the community I've met so many amazing people and learned so much. I'm grateful for that knowledge and passion which ultimately led me to create TrueDome.

On to the cracking issue: I can't stress how important proper installation is for performance and pressure testing. In the months since we first introduced TrueDome we have experimented with new polymers and manufacturing techniques assuring that these crystals are as strong and clear (as well as true to the original form) as possible. The newest version of the D19 is press molded in the same fashion as done on Rolex’s acrylic (note Rolex no longer manufactures any acrylic crystals not even the service T19s). I am more confident than ever that so long as the crystal is properly installed you will not have any issues with cracking. Particularly as this seems like a recurring issue for you, I would be happy to mount it in our lab free of charge, pressure test and assure that everything is correct as it should be.

Also I decided to do a video comparison for you guys showing the performance of the new D19 from TrueDome that I'm excited to share with you all! https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQOoVWU...dium=copy_link

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. :)

To the OP, by all means feel free to contact me and I'll take care of you!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 06:30 AM   #11
southtexas

Tropic 19 issues help please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexfax33 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I have a 1680 that I love...and a couple of years ago I installed a T19 dome from Michael Young. It lasted for about a year or so before it started to crack.

Then I discovered the Truedome D19. Bought one, had it installed and within a couple weeks it cracked.

The guys at Truedome were really kind and sent me a new one gratis. They also told me the retaining ring on my watch likely shrunk and to find a watchmaker who could stretch out the ring with a Rolex Tool 1006.

Fast forward a few months due to pandemic closures and I just had the Truedome replaced. I asked the watchmaker to stretch out the retaining ring and long story short, there are language barriers with my regular guy and while he understood the problem and replaced the dome...maddeningly, within a few days, the crystal is starting to crack again! I don't think he stretched anything.

The cracks are definitely happening in the same place - at the 50 bezel mark.

So, before I go and source yet another bezel and a new watchmaker, i have a few questions for those that know much more than I do.

1) Does stretching the retaining ring affect water resistance at all? (Not that I'm going swimming or diving with this...but the last time I got the dome replaced, the watchmaker did a test and the watch is apparently good to go.)

2) If the retaining ring is stretched will the stretched ring cause issues if I want to reinstall the original top hat crystal?

3) This is becoming too expensive for my tastes but I do LOVE the superdome look of the T19. So far I've used Michael Young and Truedome. I've seen some original T19 service domes available for sale, would these crack too if installed?

4) anyone else been through this sort of thing and have recommendations on a replacement T19 or solutions?

My Trudome 19 was installed on my Tudor 7928 (by one of the well-regarded watchmakers here on the site) back in December and it cracked within a month at the 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 06:45 AM   #12
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Interesting - I have one I have not yet installed.
Old 19 June 2021, 10:58 AM   #13
stmoore
Banned

I had a watch that did nothing but crack crystals, including a Gen 1 D19 (which is still stronger than what was on it prior).

Resolution: I contacted Greg and he took it in, cleaned it up, did some work on the retaining ring, and put on the rev 2 molded crystal - so far no issues and I’ve worn it all over the place.

I think presently I have 5 of them installed.

Give a look to the video.
Old 19 June 2021, 11:47 AM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm really not sure what that vise test in the video is supposed to prove. It's a fun visual, but not really relevant to the real-world application. For one thing, it is essentially measuring the strain to failure, but not providing any information about stress, which is probably more relevant. And in practice, crystals do not experience the type of linear edge-on deformation being applied. An elastomer would outperform all of the crystals in that test, but would obviously not make a good crystal.
Old 19 June 2021, 12:04 PM   #15
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm really not sure what that vise test in the video is supposed to prove. It's a fun visual, but not really relevant to the real-world application. For one thing, it is essentially measuring the strain to failure, but not providing any information about stress, which is probably more relevant. And in practice, crystals do not experience the type of linear edge-on deformation being applied. An elastomer would outperform all of the crystals in that test, but would obviously not make a good crystal.
All I know is some are brittle, even new ones, and snap quickly but this ‘German / swiss’ update didn’t. I also know I had a watch that did nothing but crack crystals - even without wearing them - that has been fine since.

Maybe something or maybe nothing.
Old 19 June 2021, 12:05 PM   #16
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore View Post
All I know is some are brittle, even new ones, and snap quickly but this ‘German / swiss’ update didn’t. I also know I had a watch that did nothing but crack crystals - even without wearing them - that has been fine since.

Maybe something or maybe nothing.
I can appreciate that, and your first-hand experiences are valuable data-points.

I certainly hope that all of the aftermarket crystals continue to improve with time, so we can have excellent-looking and resilient crystals that pass pressure tests. At this point, I'm still not 100% convinced that any one of them has all of the desirable properties. But that is just my opinion. And I don't think that sending watches to the crystal manufacturer for installation is going to be a viable solution for me personally. Although I'd probably be willing to give it a try if I had a crystal-cracking watch like yours. ;-)
Old 19 June 2021, 12:08 PM   #17
stmoore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I can appreciate that, and you first-hand experiences are valuable data-points.

I certainly hope that all of the aftermarket crystals continue to improve with time, so we can have excellent-looking and resilient crystals that pass pressure tests. At this point, I'm still not 100% convinced that any one of them has all of the desirable properties. But that is just my opinion. And I don't think that sending watches to the crystal manufacturer for installation is going to be a viable solution for me personally. Obviously I'd be willing to give it a try if I had a crystal-cracking watch like yours. ;-)
True, that’s why I bought my own press…. But I have gladly sent several watches to Greg.
Old 21 June 2021, 03:08 PM   #18
airansun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
I put truedomes in each of these a year ago. I wear the 5513 regularly. There have been no problems. My watchmaker commented that they fit very nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D7736C8D-4FB6-48E9-95DA-C27AE89978ED.jpeg (156.4 KB, 473 views)
airansun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 11:26 AM   #19
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

Quick update...

Greg at TrueDome being the consummate professional was nice enough to send me another D19 to try.

I got it installed and it went on smoothly and so far so good!

Just wanted to say thanks to Greg and to let everyone know he's a good guy that wants to ensure his customers are satisfied. Rare these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2021, 03:46 AM   #20
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
I had a truedome installed on one of my 5513s by LAWW a few months back and so far no complaints. I feel pretty confident if there were any premature issues Greg would handle it and that’s all I can ask.

Old 5 September 2021, 11:53 AM   #21
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
I am trying to decide on my choice of crystal now for my 1680, and the truedome is tempting.
I could opt for a nos Rolex superdome but it is 3x the price. The question for me is, will it last, since it is at least 40 years old already?
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2021, 03:10 AM   #22
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Six month ago I had a Truedome installed on my Tudor by Greg and told him specifically that I need a watch to use this summer at the beach, it worked perfectly

IMG_8770.JPG
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
I am trying to decide on my choice of crystal now for my 1680, and the truedome is tempting.
I could opt for a nos Rolex superdome but it is 3x the price. The question for me is, will it last, since it is at least 40 years old already?
Why not get a Rolex top hat crystal, which is correct for a 1680? They're still gettable.

I always find it interesting that vintage Rolex lovers often analyze the "correctness" of microscopic details on dials and bezel inserts for certain references and/or their serial numbers, but swapping in aftermarket crystals or crystals designed for different references is OK. Nothing wrong with it, of course, but it seems contrary to what is usually accepted (if that's the right word) on a "correct" vintage Rolex.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 03:38 AM   #24
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Why not get a Rolex top hat crystal, which is correct for a 1680? They're still gettable.

I always find it interesting that vintage Rolex lovers often analyze the "correctness" of microscopic details on dials and bezel inserts for certain references and/or their serial numbers, but swapping in aftermarket crystals or crystals designed for different references is OK. Nothing wrong with it, of course, but it seems contrary to what is usually accepted (if that's the right word) on a "correct" vintage Rolex.
The superdome looks much better IMO, and I don't like the cyclops.

If Rolex still made the tropic 19 I'd buy it, but I'm not sure about an old one.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote