The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2021, 10:44 PM   #31
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My guess is that the mini glidelock was not developed for this purpose but rather “normal wrist expansion” similar to the easylink
When you say "mini" are you referring to the Sub vs. the DSSD? I think it was still meant for diving (or at least to offer "diving features" on a watch few would dive with) but with greater consideration for aesthetics than on the DSSD. Even fully extended, the Sub still looks like a "normal" bracelet while the DSSD has more the appearance of an old-school dive extension.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:45 PM   #32
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Posters’ responses to the OP question got more informative as the thread has gone along, and the OP probably has a better idea now.
We've come up with more detailed rationale. However the answer remains one of "want" rather than "ability" so the first response remains valid.
Old 14 September 2021, 10:48 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
When you say "mini" are you referring to the Sub vs. the DSSD? I think it was still meant for diving (or at least to offer "diving features" on a watch few would dive with) but with greater consideration for aesthetics than on the DSSD. Even fully extended, the Sub still looks like a "normal" bracelet while the DSSD has more the appearance of an old-school dive extension.
I am referring to the mini glidelock as used on the YM. I believe this is what the OP is referring to as well

If you have the chance you should try one on. It’s nowhere near the size of the glidelock on the Rolex divers, but provides the same micro adjustment over a smaller span,making it more useful than the all or nothing easy link IMHO

Link to a thread below:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=665059
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:49 PM   #34
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
“Rationale” being the operative term…and that’s what I interpreted the OP questioning.
Quote:
We've come up with more detailed rationale. However the answer remains one of "want" rather than "ability" so the first response remains valid.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:52 PM   #35
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
My guess is that the mini glidelock was not developed for this purpose but rather “normal wrist expansion” similar to the easylink
Agreed...and I would add that it makes the sizing process on the OF models infinitely easier with the ability for the wearer to actually achieve a perfect fit, with both clasp and watch centered.

Now, as to why they don't do it across the board, I don't know. My guess would be they don't feel the urgency right now to do so. For example, as opposed to 'fixing' the Daytona OF issue, they just put a meteorite dial on it. There you go...problem solved.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:53 PM   #36
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Agreed...and I would add that it makes the sizing process on the OF models infinitely easier with the ability for the wearer to actually achieve a perfect fit, with both clasp and watch centered.

Now, as to why they don't do it across the board, I don't know. My guess would be they don't feel the urgency right now to do so. For example, as opposed to 'fixing' the Daytona OF issue, they just put a meteorite dial on it. There you go...problem solved.
As usual you’ve nailed it my friend
Old 14 September 2021, 10:55 PM   #37
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I am referring to the mini glidelock as used on the YM. I believe this is what the OP is referring to as well

If you have the chance you should try one on. It’s nowhere near the size of the glidelock on the Rolex divers, but provides the same micro adjustment over a smaller span,making it more useful than the all or nothing easy link IMHO

Link to a thread below:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=665059
Interesting . When I looked at images, I thought they were the size of Sub clasps.

In terms of rationale, perhaps expansion to additional "nautical theme" watches, lol? Which makes little sense, but hey...
Old 14 September 2021, 11:01 PM   #38
brandrea

Quote:
Interesting . When I looked at images, I thought they were the size of Sub clasps.

In terms of rationale, perhaps expansion to additional "nautical theme" watches, lol? Which makes little sense, but hey...
Could be, but as Larry points out, it would making sizing for OF owners so much easier

In addition, I think it’d be quite useful on the Explorers, and GMTs not to mention other professional references
Old 14 September 2021, 11:04 PM   #39
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout_thumper21 View Post
Put a small glide-lock clasp on every timepiece they make? Even a clasp with 3-4 positions would be a big upgrade from the easy link and could seemingly be done without making the clasp much larger if at all

I wish they do at some point or even I hope their working on it as we speak.
After using the glide lock I can’t imagine myself going back to wearing anything not having that option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 September 2021, 11:06 PM   #40
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They do Harry and some of the posters here might not know what the OP is referring to

OP, I agree and think it would be a welcomed upgrade on the professional references
I agree Brian,

I've thought for years that the EXP II might be my favorite if it had a glide lock on it. Still am not a fan of the easy link as I find the adjustment amount wrong for my wrist.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:09 PM   #41
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
I agree Brian,

I've thought for years that the EXP II might be my favorite if it had a glide lock on it. Still am not a fan of the easy link as I find the adjustment amount wrong for my wrist.
One of the only things that keeps me from owning the same reference my friend

Well, that and the twin lock crown …. Better not go down that rabbit hole
Old 15 September 2021, 02:03 AM   #42
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They do Harry
That's a relief - for my brain.

Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 02:12 AM   #43
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout_thumper21 View Post
Put a small glide-lock clasp on every timepiece they make? Even a clasp with 3-4 positions would be a big upgrade from the easy link and could seemingly be done without making the clasp much larger if at all
I agree, it’s something I have commented on before, the Subs have 20mm so why not make a mini GL with 10mm of adjustment for other watches.

I’m not sure it would work on a jubilee bracelet but on watches with an Oyster it would work fine.

But as Rolex does what Rolex wants I’m not holding my breath on a change any time soon.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote