The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2021, 10:34 AM   #1
mrblue
"TRF" Member

Buying Pre-owned

Not willing to play games I find the used market meets my buying needs. No waits and reasonable prices.
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:00 AM   #3
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Original thread content is original
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:02 AM   #4
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
Not willing to play games I find the used market meets my buying needs. No waits and reasonable prices.
WTF, open every other thread.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I would argue more interesting watches historically speaking, especially with the older models. The 5 digit references and prior were created in an era when watches were used as tools and cells phones were not used for that purpose. The 6 digit references offer some subtle "improvements" in that the clasp can be adjusted 1/2 second faster than the old clasps and movements that last 70 hours (not really an improvement for those of us that actually wear the watches however), but also come with crockery on the bezels, excessive shine, and bloated case sizes-offering what most folks in today's market want, a watch that takes a good pic on the intabooks. The older models offer the best of what Rolex always did, place function first, everything necessary, nothing that was not.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:05 AM   #6
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
All of my Rolexes have been purchased used from trusted sellers and were at least ten years old when I bought them. They've all been great watches.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:12 AM   #7
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Amen.

No shortage of Rolexes when you are willing to pay market price
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:15 AM   #8
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I would argue more interesting watches historically speaking, especially with the older models. The 5 digit references and prior were created in an era when watches were used as tools and cells phones were not used for that purpose. The 6 digit references offer some subtle "improvements" in that the clasp can be adjusted 1/2 second faster than the old clasps and movements that last 70 hours (not really an improvement for those of us that actually wear the watches however), but also come with crockery on the bezels, excessive shine, and bloated case sizes-offering what most folks in today's market want, a watch that takes a good pic on the intabooks. The older models offer the best of what Rolex always did, place function first, everything necessary, nothing that was not.

Those 5 digit references you speak of were outdated and where in need of the shiny bloated upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Yes it has been that way since the Rolex pandemic started. What is your question?
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:54 AM   #10
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

If you can't get them from your AD - go grey.......
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 12:58 PM   #11
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Are you asking a question or making a statement?
Old 14 September 2021, 03:45 PM   #12
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Think many are here for group therapy.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 04:09 PM   #13
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
1/2 second is a bit of an exaggeration, first you’ve gotta find somewhere safe you
Know the spring bar isn’t going to fly 3 miles away and you also need a tool for it.

Back to original thread I’ve always bought pre-owned I’ve tried my luck at AD for some models that have a premium I’m not willing to pay but so far nothing. Over the last three years. Other than datejust 41 I was able to purchase.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 04:49 PM   #14
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
The used market has always been here and will continue to be, there's no news in that. I've gone pre-owned and new and am pretty happy. If however, you're after the hot hot hot models then 'reasonable prices' is rather subjective.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 05:22 PM   #15
Brew
"TRF" Member

Don’t care for the herd’s precious Pro watches. Up until recently, the watches I wanted were available. Now the herd is busy gobbling the Classics up too, so my most recent watch was special-order new, from one of the re-sellers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 06:57 PM   #16
fania123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This!
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 07:28 PM   #17
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ36 & BB54
Quote:
Keep it relevant pal, don't miss a chance to spread your hatred of the 6 digits, do you?
OG1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 07:50 PM   #18
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
Keep it relevant pal, don't miss a chance to spread your hatred of the 6 digits, do you?

Quote:

Expressing a preference is not uncommon. I also prefer 5 digit Rolex for some models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 08:01 PM   #19
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Expressing a preference is not uncommon. I also prefer 5 digit Rolex for some models.

That’s great and I can appreciate your preference, along with Chester01. But how is that relevant to this thread?
Old 14 September 2021, 08:16 PM   #20
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
My first Rolex came from a trusted dealer, a YM 116622 bought 6 1/2 years ago. At the time I went grey because the discount was substantial. There are pros and cons in buying on the internet though. It can be a bit daunting when it's your first expensive piece.

In today's Rolex market, most of us are left with little choice but going grey or preowned, unfortunately. It's not ideal but much better than having to buy all sorts of unwanted watches and jewelry. You've got to pick the lesser evil.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 08:52 PM   #21
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was balanced no? Mentioned the clasps, mentioned the power reserve. Folks can decide for themselves how important that is to them. And even if it is important, good luck scoring one at the AD.

Old 14 September 2021, 08:55 PM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
1/2 second is a bit of an exaggeration, first you’ve gotta find somewhere safe you
Know the spring bar isn’t going to fly 3 miles away and you also need a tool for it.

Back to original thread I’ve always bought pre-owned I’ve tried my luck at AD for some models that have a premium I’m not willing to pay but so far nothing. Over the last three years. Other than datejust 41 I was able to purchase.

I have had my 16610 for 23 years and can do it with a paper clip, tooth pick, pen, mechanical pencil (using the metal tip), tac, small nail, etc. never once had a spring bar mishap. I mean I don’t do it on a mountain bike trail lol. That said, my bracelet has been on the same notch since 2017 perhaps.

Old 14 September 2021, 09:02 PM   #23
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
Those 5 digit references you speak of were outdated and where in need of the shiny bloated upgrades.

Lol! Perhaps they were. No shortage of buyers, that is if one can source one. The challenge is if one does typically at the gray, are those “improvements” really that much of value to justify 2-3x MSRP. That’s a question only the buyer can decide. But then again the preowned 5 digit GMT’s and subs are like 4x their MSRP (got my 16610 at $3250) and there were plenty made and plenty to be had. To the OP post, I would simply opt for other brands. Too many other great watches out there.

Old 14 September 2021, 09:06 PM   #24
OG1982
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was balanced no? Mentioned the clasps, mentioned the power reserve. Folks can decide for themselves how important that is to them. And even if it is important, good luck scoring one at the AD.

Balanced yes, but I didn't hear him ask for an opinion on the merits of 6 over 5 digit references or visa versa.
Old 14 September 2021, 09:52 PM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Balanced yes, but I didn't hear him ask for an opinion on the merits of 6 over 5 digit references or visa versa.

The OP mentioned preowned pieces and my comments certainly fall under that and the OP certainly did not mention only preowned current pieces. If threads did not branch out just a bit, they would fizzle out rather quickly I think.

Old 15 September 2021, 12:28 AM   #26
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
That’s great and I can appreciate your preference, along with Chester01. But how is that relevant to this thread?

Relevant as 5 digit references can only be bought away from AD's I suppose. Does it really matter though. Relax.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 12:31 AM   #27
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Discontinued watches I agree, you have no choice. Anything else, just say no to greys.
Old 15 September 2021, 02:10 AM   #28
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Ok.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 05:31 AM   #29
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Buying Pre-owned

This thread is great