The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2021, 09:14 PM   #1
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
The Secondary Market will grow even stronger in the future!

With all these "punk investors" buying up anything that comes into an AD store. I predict an even larger flood of used Rolex, all available at your friendly grey. They will be the go to for buying a Rolex.

The next few years, will be a great time to be a real flipper!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:22 PM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
With all these "punk investors" buying up anything that comes into an AD store. I predict an even larger flood of used Rolex, all available at your friendly grey. They will be the go to for buying a Rolex.

The next few years, will be a great time to be a real flipper!
Listen you hockey puck….

I think you’re right, but the question is, if there is a flood of used models on the gray market will that cause the ( ridiculously high) prices to come down?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:26 PM   #3
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Listen you hockey puck….

I think you’re right, but the question is, if there is a flood of used models on the gray market will that cause the ( ridiculously high) prices to come down?
Yes.

Many used "unpopular" pieces that are now being sold at the AD (because nothing else is available) will sit the greys cases and sit and sit......BUT popular models above this will XXXX quadruple in price!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:31 PM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Yes.

Many used "unpopular" pieces that are now being sold at the AD (because nothing else is available) will sit the greys cases and sit and sit......BUT popular models above this will XXXX quadruple in price!
Sadly, I think you are correct. What a crazy market Rolex (or the buyers) have created.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:53 PM   #5
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Will this have any effect on Rolex brand equity? As it stands now nearly every buyer new or established is being turned away. How many of those buyers ended up buying something else and likely won’t ever get another opportunity to buy a Rolex?
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 09:54 PM   #6
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Just say no to greys.
Old 14 September 2021, 10:49 PM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

What happened to the guy that said daytonas are dropping? And he’s waiting to get one???
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:50 PM   #8
Kelvin Knight
"TRF" Member

Rolex will never tolerate or accept glorified used-jewelers as part of their brand representation long-term. Betting against that is the only more asinine than paying the premiums. They’re currently starving the parasite…

Consumer greed and gluttony caused this. I don’t fault Rolex.
Kelvin Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 10:52 PM   #9
dannyp
Banned

I also predict that more ADs of other brands will get into the preowned Rolex market in a bigger way. For those wanting an Omega, Lange, VC, PP, JLC, etc. dealers will now accept cash, credit cards, crypto and... Rolex. It becomes a de facto substitute for discounting in some ways: Bring in a Rolex you paid $9,000 for, walk out with a VC retailing for $20,000...

They will probably be able to more credibly sell those pieces (since "hey, Lange trusts them") without concerns over authenticity, etc. than other secondary market sellers.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:47 PM   #10
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin Knight View Post
Rolex will never tolerate or accept glorified used-jewelers as part of their brand representation long-term. Betting against that is the only more asinine than paying the premiums. They’re currently starving the parasite…

Consumer greed and gluttony caused this. I don’t fault Rolex.
I take some comfort in this even though it is a hard pill to swallow.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:56 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
We’ll have to see to find out but there’s recent used, private retail used, nwot, and new grey. I think they’re all different categories and are sought by different buyers and ‘flippers’.

( Just remember 5d are junk and that market will collapse! They’re crap! It’ll Enron and people will be in the poorhouse!! Dump them now!! )
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 11:58 PM   #12
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I love how frequently Padi gets quoted these days lol
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 12:06 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I love how frequently Padi gets quoted these days lol
I’ve started telling my kids they’re sixpence short of making sense and all they care about is $$$£££€€€

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 02:12 AM   #14
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I’ve started telling my kids they’re sixpence short of making sense and all they care about is $$$£££€€€

Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 02:56 AM   #15
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Let em eat themselves. I have no interest in any 6 digit references and increasingly not interested in what Rolex is coming to represent which is capitalism eating itself.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 03:07 AM   #16
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I also predict that more ADs of other brands will get into the preowned Rolex market in a bigger way. For those wanting an Omega, Lange, VC, PP, JLC, etc. dealers will now accept cash, credit cards, crypto and... Rolex. It becomes a de facto substitute for discounting in some ways: Bring in a Rolex you paid $9,000 for, walk out with a VC retailing for $20,000...

They will probably be able to more credibly sell those pieces (since "hey, Lange trusts them") without concerns over authenticity, etc. than other secondary market sellers.
This is already happening.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 03:15 AM   #17
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Greys might already be becoming the “go to” place for your next shiny Rolex. I doubt that’s going to do squat for prices coming down, no matter who’s supplying them. The camel is already neck deep into the tent.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 03:55 AM   #18
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
It does seem like supply is extremely strangulated I personally have only bought “grey” other than a couple Of easy to acquire watches from AD, I.e tt datejust. I get on really well with the guy in there he’s very knowledgeable and I love stopping in for a chat with him generally about watches if I pass, and to pester him of course. I believe he’s very genuine and I’m on a list for a couple of watches I really would like to purchase but don’t condone the mark up on the secondary market in my eyes So far none of them have actually come through but we will see.

However if I want to buy a watch there and then which is usually the case and why I buy on the secondary market I can usually get one to me the same day of whichever model i want. Last couple of watches I’ve had two or three dealers looking for me and even they are finding it hard to source and having trouble buying stock.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:24 AM   #19
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
They control the market. With no watches to purchase at dealers there’s only one place to go. How many of you don’t even bother going to your AD anymore?

Was at two very large preowned watch dealers in past week. Both said that the Rolex market is soft due to high prices but come Christmas time they expect prices to explode higher. No availability combined with stock market jitters due to New tax and spend legislation being rammed thru. People looking for alternatives to put their money into.

The one dealer said he is concentrating on the high end Patek and RM market which he said is still red hot. The billionaire jetset come in and buy 5976s for 600k. and new green 5711 for 375k that retails for 34k.
It’s like buying a double espresso for them.
His prediction is for 5976 to hit a million by Christmas.
Each time one of these pieces sells at a new high price every dealer who has one ups their price to an even higher ridiculous price. So the market feeds off each other.

So he could care less about Rolexes for now. He had loads of them that he said are just languishing in the case.

Good time to be content and happy with what you have is my feeling.

Let the billionaires and whales stampede the market as high as they want. Eventually everything reverts to the mean. Not saying a crash but the pressure relief valve will pop open to let some steam out. But overall I see prices staying relatively high until the ocean of cash that is sloshing around dries up. How long that’ll take is anybody’s guess.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:33 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
This is already happening.
Yup, see it frequently. But I have a feeling it’ll become even more prevalent particularly as B&M shopping continues coming back. I think it also is the epitome of “but the seller, not the watch” if it’s not a Rolex AD but an AD of equally regarded brands.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 05:49 AM   #21
TheVision
"TRF" Member

And some of the resellers (DavidSW channel) and others also link up spreading the hype even more (especially for new releases that they know ADs barely carry).

Just watching the hype and their "oh..this is REALLY REALLY hot in the market right now and if u click on this link, it can be yours!" Click on the link and their price is literally 100% marked up than what AD sells it for.

With the current scheme, there's really NO hope for peasants like me who doesnt bend over backwards at my local AD.

Pick your poison.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 05:58 AM   #22
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
The Secondary Market will grow even stronger in the future!

With the fed constantly injecting capital into the economy, the answer is quite obvious... not only will the secondary market be strong long term, it's gonna take a LOT more of this funny money currency to get something on that secondary market.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:06 AM   #23
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post

This is essentially what Watchfinder is. richemont group getting in on Rolex action and dictating second hand Rolex prices to the point it’s become the reference for greys with respect to pricing.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:12 AM   #24
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Rolex is nothing more than a cryptocurrency at the moment…..except it’s one that can be held and used at the same time…..it will keep going up to infinity
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:18 AM   #25
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:21 AM   #26
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
The thing I'm noticing in the younger generation buyer of most anything including watches....
Is that the speculator price to them is the the price. MSRP means nothing to them anymore. They will pay over published price for anything if they want it and they can figure out how to pay for it.
This goes for cars, Bourbon, real estate, the list goes on. And everything is an investment, justifying the speculative price.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:25 AM   #27
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
The thing I'm noticing in the younger generation buyer of most anything including watches....
Is that the speculator price to them is the the price. MSRP means nothing to them anymore. They will pay over published price for anything if they want it and they can figure out how to pay for it.
This goes for cars, Bourbon, real estate, the list goes on. And everything is an investment, justifying the speculative price.
Seen this movie a few times now. It never ends well for about 90% of the population.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:46 AM   #28
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Just say no to greys.
I say no to anyone who won't sell me the watch I want.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 06:49 AM   #29
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Rolex is nothing more than a cryptocurrency at the moment…..except it’s one that can be held and used at the same time…..it will keep going up to infinity
It always has since I was a boy reading the Rolex ads in Sports Illustrated circa 1970 and the DD was I think 3k?
Old 15 September 2021, 06:52 AM   #30
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
What happened to the guy that said daytonas are dropping? And he’s waiting to get one???
:c lap: