The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 November 2021, 05:51 AM   #1
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Why is the 5370p so expensive?

Yes, Pateks are expensive, especially platinum and chronographs. But, the retail on this watch is about 250k. Compare to a 5960/5905, also a chronograph, AND an AC, which retails for about 1/4 that much.

I do realize the 5370 has a more complex chronograph movement. The 5905 seems to be an almost basic chronograph movement.

But, still both chronographs. Still both pateks. And the 5905/60 has an AC too.

Just trying to understand, is there something about the 5370 I’m missing that accounts for it’s much higher price. Thx.

It’s just for fun as it’s squarely out of my league. :)
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 06:04 AM   #2
7sins
"TRF" Member

You are paying a premium because it is a "split seconds" chronograph. Of course the platinum metal also constitutes a higher price.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 06:08 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
As noted above the split seconds complication is one of the most complex. It’s also a hand wound movement with a higher level of finishing than a 5905. It has an enamel dial and it’s just a rarer piece.

There’s diminishing returns in this hobby but in this case give me one 5370 over 3 5905 any day of the week!
Old 10 November 2021, 06:32 AM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

If you compare the automatic 5905/5960 with the "basic" manual chronos 5170 and 5172 there isn't a giant gap in price.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
If you compare the automatic 5905/5960 with the "basic" manual chronos 5170 and 5172 there isn't a giant gap in price.
Ah, you’re right. The non split second chronos are very much in line with the 5960/5905 range. So it’s apparently the enamel dial and split seconds that triple the price.

I realize a double split is a significant complication. But I’d also just point out you can get an all ceramic iwc split second chrono for $10k. :)
Old 10 November 2021, 10:15 AM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Why is the 5370p so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Ah, you’re right. The non split second chronos are very much in line with the 5960/5906 range. So it’s apparently the enamel dial and split seconds that triple the price.

I realize a double split is a significant complication. But I’d also just point out you can get an all ceramic iwc split second chrono for $10k. :)

Difficult to justify price at this level. 5370 is double assembled, enamel dial, platinum and gorgeous.
Ps It’s only a single split - you need to go to Lange for a double/triple split.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 11:42 AM   #7
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Split seconds are assembled by the same watchmakers that build the minute repeaters, big difference from standard chronos.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:40 PM   #8
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Put one on your wrist and you’ll know all u need to know
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:52 PM   #9
maecenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Ah, you’re right. The non split second chronos are very much in line with the 5960/5905 range. So it’s apparently the enamel dial and split seconds that triple the price.

I’d also point out that the IWC is probably twice as thick and feels like it was stamped out of a plastic mould compared to the 5370, which is truly one of the most elegant watches you’d ever hold. No offense to IWC owners of course, heck, I almost bought one, but that’s how it stands.

Here’s something I realized as I started to get into higher end watches… “In watch making, there’s price, complication, and size… you can only have 2”

And when the price goes up, it does so exponentially. Take that, the finishing, the platinum, the enamel dial (which is gorgeous), and layer on a healthy additional markup for the Patek name (and the benefits that come with it, such as resell value and potential appreciation), and there you have it.
maecenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 01:03 PM   #10
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

It’s certainly a gorgeous watch. And I absolutely understand diminishing returns. And how you can’t really quantify how much X amount of better finishing/higher complication is worth Y amount more. I just wanted to find out the virtues and qualities that justified the huge leap in price from the 70k chronos. For example, I didn’t know they were double assembled (like Lange I suppose), and I also hadn’t realized they’re made by an extra elite group within the already pretty elite group of patek watchmakers.

It’s exactly those things I wanted to learn. Im not new to watches but only recently have I become interested in Patek. I don’t see myself buying the split any time soon. But you never know what the future holds. :)
Old 10 November 2021, 01:39 PM   #11
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

in addition to split seconds chrono + enamel dial, platinum models in watches command a major premium (e.g. platinum daytona is 6x MSRP of a stainless steel one even though its the exact same complication)
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote