The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2021, 03:24 AM   #1
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Incoming! First Rolex (And An Odd Path to Ownership)

Background:

At this point, I've been in the game for quite some time. I've always had a passing interest in watches, but dove deep into the "hobby" in the late 2000s, early 2010s.

When I started my interest in the hobby, I only had a passing interest in Rolex. While I liked some vintage models, I've always favored new watches, and I just wasn't a fan of the lineup at that time. To me, the ceramic Submariner felt bloated (really, I generally disfavored the maxi cases), the 39mm Explorer had hands that were too small for the upped size, etc.

So, I went a different direction. First, I bought an 1861 Speedmaster, which remains in my collection. Second, I bought a JLC MUT Moon, which also remains in my collection. Also, I picked up some inexpensive watches here and there, i.e., an Orange Monster, an Orient Mako, etc. - as you might surmise, they too remain in my collection.

After that spending spree, I took a decade break. I had other priorities, and wanted to enjoy what I had.

However, a couple years ago, I decided to get back on the horse, and started saving. Now in my collection is a Bulgari OF S, a Hermes H08, and, the crown jewel of the collection, Patek 5205G-013.

Which brings us to the present...

Rolex:

This year, I welcomed my first born - a son - into the world. I was not born into money, but I always romanticized the thought of buying a birthyear watch for my son, and gifting it to him when he is ready. If he is anything like me, that might be mid-20s. That is something that I feel would have been very special.

I've had the Rolex itch more and more lately, as I have started to favor the newer models. The new movement, particularly with the PR and the accuracy, is absolutely unbelievable. In my view, Rolex has really separated itself from the pack. The newest Submariner is a beauty, but I was absolutely smitten by the new Explorer. This is as close to the original as I can imagine. The Explorer has always been the watch I have gravitated towards - it does not feel ostentatious, it flies under the radar, etc. - and I knew this was the one. Further, I have always been interested in alpine pursuits.

Fast forward to right before Christmas, and my AD surprised me with the new Explorer - while I was picking up a new strap for the 5205G-013.

I am really in love with this watch. It is the perfect size, it is extremely comfortable, and I love that I can put it through the ringer. I am very careful with my watches, so I do not intend to put much visual damage on it, but I think it will be meaningful when I gift him a watch he saw me wearing. I look forward to celebrating his life with it on my wrist.

So far, it is +/- zero, which is just unbelievable.

JMac6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:34 AM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:47 AM   #3
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing your story. Amazing story and passion for watches! You have a fantastic collection, especially the Patek 5205G-013 which is a beautiful ref!

Congrats on the Explorer I. Excellent choice and such a classic style of Rolex! Coupled with the birth of your son, this watch definitely has that extra special meaning as well. Congrats on the arrival of your son too, and I suspect he'll be over the moon when you hand this piece down to him one day. You definitely chose this model for all the right reasons imo. This watch works well playing sports, going to the office, a day out wearing shorts, or while wearing a tux. Very versatile indeed! Welcome to the Rolex club and enjoy the heck out of that beautiful watch!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 03:48 AM   #4
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Congrats! The 36mm is perfection. They should have never upsized it in the first place.
tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 04:06 AM   #5
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
That 36mm looks good on you. Enjoy your new watch with your baby boy. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2021, 04:44 AM   #6
vinny84
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Great story and collection, congrats!
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 05:19 AM   #7
noshame
"TRF" Member

Congrats, OP! I love the Explorer!
Old 28 December 2021, 05:47 AM   #8
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Very nice watch and should make a great gift. Does fly under the radar for sure.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 07:22 AM   #9
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Congratulations
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 07:25 AM   #10
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Big congrats!!