The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2022, 03:12 PM   #1
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Just Reminiscing

Sitting here watching some football on a Sunday night, and reading a few of the new conspiracy threads here. A glance down at my BLRO brought back some great memories.
In November 2017, I rekindled my friendship with an SA I had dealt with since 1997, now working at the newish Rolex only store in town. I hadn't had a Rolex since I sold my early DSSD in 2011 and decided I wanted a BLNR. I guess this was when things were first starting to get weird but I called him, they had one in the safe, and I picked it up that evening.
Fast forward to Basel in March 2018. Early that morning he called me, asking if I'd seen the new BLRO om Jubilee and if I wanted one. My first thought was I just bought a GMT I am happy with but the Pepsi was just different enough for me to say yes. He told me that the store had 8 VIPs that would get first choice, then each of 6 SAs could enter 2 clients into a lottery for the next ones. After the drawing I was allegedly #14 in line.
The store got their first one in June, 5 months later on December 14 I got the call to come get my new watch. Mine was said to be the 12th one they had received, two people before me had declined when the time came. I loved it immediately and within just a matter of weeks I knew the BLNR would collect dust so I sold it. I remember the early buzz but who would have thought the Pepsi would soar to the level of desirability it has maintained, I just thought it looked cool.
Three + years in, I'm still happy. The same SA got me a SS Daytona in 2019 and hopefully a red OP41 soon. The main reason I post this is I get so tired of hearing all the ridiculous stories of supposed malfeasance of dealers and Rolex thenselves. I firmly believe most of the posters here are like me. They have an ally at an AD that gets them what they want within a reasonable timeframe. Rolex is doing fine and I use their products on a daily basis without even thinking about "value."
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B1125C91-D6BB-42CA-8A43-DBEBFD2FF9BB.jpeg (198.1 KB, 572 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 03:30 PM   #2
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Yes, it’s refreshing to read a story such as your own, primarily because it echoes mine. I’ve never had issues getting the watches I want. This past year, Daytona Panda, WG Sub and my second BLNR (I gave the previous jubilee to my brother). I won’t get into previous years, since it’s largely irrelevant, but rest assured I got what I wanted.

If you have history with your AD, and a true relationship, getting the watches you wish isn’t difficult.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 04:11 PM   #3
SWS65SM
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
The main reason I post this is I get so tired of hearing all the ridiculous stories of supposed malfeasance of dealers and Rolex thenselves. I firmly believe most of the posters here are like me. They have an ally at an AD that gets them what they want within a reasonable timeframe.
I'm with you on most accounts. It's been such a drag lately with all the stuff people are throwing up, it's just comical, if not pathetic. Part of the problem is relationships aren't build overnight, so certainly things have worked out well for some while unfortunately others were left with a sour taste of the Rolex experience. Thanks for sharing, it's refreshing to just read something that's a little more level-headed, and rooting for ya on the red OP41
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 04:24 PM   #4
shwingus
"TRF" Member

There is no conspiracy but there are many other factors at play. To say your situation is the norm and that others are just complaining is also ridiculous.
For example, in my case and in my "wealthy"/"big" city I am competing with droves of other customers or company accounts that spend $100K or more on jewelry/watches per year.
Now I have a decent spend history and relationship with my AD but I damned well know I can never compete with those people. Nor am I going to complain because it is a business and if I was those customers I would demand the hot pieces too.
shwingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 10:35 PM   #5
JSol1

What a refreshing post OP. I too have acquired several pieces since 2019 based on a good relationship. When I received my white Daytona last month, I was accused of being a ‘whale’ or I must have bought a bunch of unwanted jewelry-neither is true.
I simply built a genuine relationship with my SA and would come in often to talk about watches, life events and such.
I’ve bought both hard to get pieces (Sub, BLNR, Daytona) as well as less desirable. I always told him that I’m in no rush for anything I was interested in as I have enough watches to wear in the meantime.
I also live in a high net worth city and if it was only about wallet size or clout I wouldn’t stand a chance. I don’t dare post any ‘my AD said’ although he has shared great insight on the state of the market with me.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 10:42 PM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Refreshing post. Continue to enjoy that beautiful BLRO!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 10:54 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I get so tired of hearing all the ridiculous stories of supposed malfeasance of dealers and Rolex thenselves. I firmly believe most of the posters here are like me. They have an ally at an AD that gets them what they want within a reasonable timeframe. Rolex is doing fine and I use their products on a daily basis without even thinking about "value."
Well said. I am in the same boat as you, as are doubtless many others. Congratulations on the BLRO. A cracker, and a dream come true for me last year.

The hysteria has now reached the point where if I say my AD treats me well or I don't have an issue with Rolex, I'm either not believed, or thought to be flipper or a grey dealer.

It is understandable that people are disappointed but the frustration and anger I will never understand. It's just a watch. I can't fault the entertainment value. You have to laugh. How else to respond to such nonsense?

It's almost as good as "this gobshite says he's an expert Rolex insider, he's got 10,000 YouTube followers, and he wouldn't risk his reputation, so what he says must be true....."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah........
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 11:16 PM   #8
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Sounds a lot like my AD Art I have a similar story to yours with the exact same watch

Enjoy it, it’s a beauty
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 11:54 PM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Nice. I wish your story were the norm rather than the aberration.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 12:19 AM   #10
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Great post. I've been fortunate to have also developed a similar AD relationship. Lots of negativity out there so good to see positive posts.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 12:42 AM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great post and I enjoyed your story and the watches. Many of us have been involved a long time in watch game. Relationships and personal maturity are cultivated over the years and the results can be amazing in the current market but that is the exception and not the rule. Good for those that have it and not so good for those that do not. Patience, while a virtue some say, is typically much more difficult without significant life experience to back it up. It is a unique watch situation right now and I would like to think it will get better but this just maybe the new norm and it could get worse. I am hopeful but I can only control myself and observe and react to current conditions.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 12:59 AM   #12
Adamfo85
"TRF" Member

New member here. I’m relatively (very) new to watches and have always wanted a Rolex but it’s not been feasible for me now up until this point. I guess I decided to start the process of looking into purchasing a Rolex at the perfect time :). I much like shwingus live in a larger market in Texas and am having to compete with company accounts and customers.
Especially since I have no relationships with ADs, (we just moved to texas 2 years ago).
however it’s assuring that OP is echoing that if you build the relationship etc AD’s will eventually come thru for you. Looks like I just need to start going into some AD’s and introducing myself etc and see where it goes from there. Really enjoy the knowledge that is shared on the forum.
Adamfo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:37 AM   #13
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DEEPSEA
Just Reminiscing

Great post! I have a long term relationship with a fantastic AD - both the sales guy who’s been there 30 years and the owner.

If there’s something I’m looking for, I politely ask if they can get me one. They always come through. Might not be tomorrow, but they appreciate that I’m patient and an enthusiast.

More of these threads please!

My Explorer they were able to get in about 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:55 AM   #14
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
So refreshing and awesome to see your enjoyment
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:29 AM   #15
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Nice post OP. For me it has been shared interest in other hobbies plus a passion for Rolex and a reasonable amount of patience that has provided access to pieces I am looking for.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote