The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2022, 12:18 AM   #31
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Lazy lol
Old 11 February 2022, 12:21 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Grey for you
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 12:21 AM   #33
Buckaroo Banzai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 12671
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
Okay so I reached out to all the AD's in Houston and New York for a sub date and I received three different answers: 1) They can't help me as they are fully commited for the next few years 2) They invite me over to their boutique to register interest and view their exhibition models 3) They'll call me as soon as one becomes available for me but they can't guarantee a delivery date.

I am wondering, will the ones that tell me they're gonna call me actually call me? and what can I do to increase my chances of getting one in the next year or so?
Let me give you my version of a similar search.

The tl;dr version of this is to go visit the AD and develop a relationship.

I researched most of the AD in Houston, emailed or called them.

One phone call basically told me to come in, see what they have available develop a purchase history and then we can talk about your Stainless Steel Sport watch interests.

One response to my email inquiry asked me to come in, see what they had available and lets talk.

For that AD, I did just that. I visited the store, meet the SA that responded to me and she showed me what they had at the time (TT Sub date, Tudor Pelagos blue Dial, DSSD JC). This was at the beginning of my search so did not jump and the DSSD JC. I gave my interests and asked to be considered for a Sub ND nor a BLRO. This was in April 2019.

Over the course of next 8 months, I had my father's DJ, my mother's DJ and my grandmothers 5005 appraised. I also had the father's DJ serviced as well as a pelagos I got in an auction.

July 2019 I got a text for a TT GMT. I passed, tell my SA I wanted the BLRO.

January 2020 I got the text for the BLRO. I picked it up and have been wearing it ever since.

June last year I asked my SA if they had any watches that I might want to buy myself for Father's Day. They only had 3 DJ 31. I put in my interest for a BLNR, but since I have not visited them or conducted any recent business I'm not hopeful, but I'm patient.

Good luck in your search!
Buckaroo Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 12:26 AM   #34
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Are AD's lying to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Lazy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Grey for you

Yep. Grey is for you, OP!

Premiums aren't too bad for something nobody needs anyway.
Old 11 February 2022, 12:34 AM   #35
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Rolex sells Rolexes just not to anyone
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 03:45 AM   #36
train-time
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: less
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevers63 View Post
Let me give you my version of a similar search.

The tl;dr version of this is to go visit the AD and develop a relationship.

I researched most of the AD in Houston, emailed or called them.

One phone call basically told me to come in, see what they have available develop a purchase history and then we can talk about your Stainless Steel Sport watch interests.

One response to my email inquiry asked me to come in, see what they had available and lets talk.

For that AD, I did just that. I visited the store, meet the SA that responded to me and she showed me what they had at the time (TT Sub date, Tudor Pelagos blue Dial, DSSD JC). This was at the beginning of my search so did not jump and the DSSD JC. I gave my interests and asked to be considered for a Sub ND nor a BLRO. This was in April 2019.

Over the course of next 8 months, I had my father's DJ, my mother's DJ and my grandmothers 5005 appraised. I also had the father's DJ serviced as well as a pelagos I got in an auction.

July 2019 I got a text for a TT GMT. I passed, tell my SA I wanted the BLRO.

January 2020 I got the text for the BLRO. I picked it up and have been wearing it ever since.

June last year I asked my SA if they had any watches that I might want to buy myself for Father's Day. They only had 3 DJ 31. I put in my interest for a BLNR, but since I have not visited them or conducted any recent business I'm not hopeful, but I'm patient.

Good luck in your search!
Believe me, 2019 and 2020 are nothing like 2022 is starting out to be.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:39 AM   #37
telesquire
Banned

News just in.....sales people lie....wow...just wow.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 07:33 AM   #38
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I reached out to them by email.
Worth a start but now you need to go into the store and build the relationship - then you actually stand a chance that is better than zero.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:10 AM   #39
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
yes, they lie all the time. Most here buy the baloney hook line and sinker, oh the demand, the demand, nothing in stock. Joe Gray comes in, well we have 3 from the safe for you.

I have been in ant AD picking up my daytona and another time with my brother getting his BLNR and of course they were in the back, meanwhile they are giving some poor sap the business about the demand and maybe we can put you on the list. Its laughable.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:17 AM   #40
brkn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
yes, they lie all the time. Most here buy the baloney hook line and sinker, oh the demand, the demand, nothing in stock. Joe Gray comes in, well we have 3 from the safe for you.

I have been in ant AD picking up my daytona and another time with my brother getting his BLNR and of course they were in the back, meanwhile they are giving some poor sap the business about the demand and maybe we can put you on the list. Its laughable.
did you have purchase history before the daytona? what was your difference from the poor saps that were turned down?
brkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:32 AM   #41
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1) They can't help me as they are fully commited for the next few years
Obviously not a lie, they are not interested in new customers on the phone.
Quote:
2) They invite me over to their boutique to register interest and view their exhibition models
Unless they lie about having exhibition models, I don't see what could be the wrong here - up to you
Quote:
3) They'll call me as soon as one becomes available for me but they can't guarantee a delivery date.
Also no lie, they'll call when the Sub becomes available for you, which may be never.
Quote:
I am wondering, will the ones that tell me they're gonna call me actually call me?
None of your quotes suggested that anyone is planning to call you. Unfortunate, but I don't see any lies. Phoning ADs is unlikely to cut it.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:50 AM   #42
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
I reached out to an AD in Massachusetts via a phone call was told they will see what they can do, in 3 weeks had a GMT Master ll BLRN, no prior history.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:53 AM   #43
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

F and AD is talking to you I would say it’s 50-50
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 10:01 AM   #44
brkn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.G. View Post
I reached out to an AD in Massachusetts via a phone call was told they will see what they can do, in 3 weeks had a GMT Master ll BLRN, no prior history.
wow
did you request that model specifically
brkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 10:06 AM   #45
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure…in 2019
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 10:08 AM   #46
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
not really relevant if it was back in 2019 ...
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 10:12 AM   #47
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

I don’t think any of them are lies. The one that said they are allocated for the next few years is maybe being the most honest. ADs should invite all customers in and help them find a watch that suites them best. I can’t imagine any will tell you a delivery date over an email. All of the responses are normal.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 11:12 AM   #48
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
To increase your chances of receiving an allocation buy an absurd amount of
other jewelry(usually overpriced) and laugh at their jokes.

tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 11:35 AM   #49
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
You have to go to the store. On the phone they think you could be a flipper, so they want to see you in person before they even take down your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:26 PM   #50
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
did you have purchase history before the daytona? what was your difference from the poor saps that were turned down?

History, in my case and a connection with the sales rep, but the more one spends the luckier one gets. I was also helped because I had other family members that purchased their which helped.

This of course holds true and explains how the gray’s source so many. It’s not that they just happen to get their before anyone else lol.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:30 PM   #51
Cutigergrad04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I went in to our AD this past fall and told them that I was looking at purchasing my first Rolex. They asked what I was specifically looking for and they told me that they really didn’t know when one would come in. Most people were saying that it could be a few years since I have never purchased anything from this jeweler and really had no relationship. He emailed me out of the blue that a 2022 sub with black face-green bezel just came in and it was mine if I wanted. While I was looking for something different I figured the fact that i got the call and the watch was similar to what I wanted it was too good to pass up.

I asked the rep at the AD, why I got the call over someone else and he said it was because I was upfront and honest about why I was wanting the watch. Honestly, you just never know, over the last 6 months I came extremely close to buying on the grey market and if that’s the route one chooses, cool. While I was hoping for the no date sub, I feel lucky that I was able to purchase a brand new “Starbucks” version from an AD. It took a lot of the stress away.
Cutigergrad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 01:33 PM   #52
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If you are looking for a Sub Date, you generally have to be considered by the AD to be more attractive than the competition in order for them to offer you a watch. In many (but not all) cases, this attractiveness can be measured in past and present business, as well as future business potential. An email is not going to increase your attractiveness.

If you are not looking to buy anything else and you want one relatively quickly, you can have one on your doorstep tomorrow.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:06 PM   #53
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Your chance of getting a Sun date over the phone is about 1/1000. GL
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:36 PM   #54
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
IMHO, all ADs are different, but I doubt about email correspondences gets you anyway.

The AD that I visit monthly (or more), is part of a jeweller group and allocation is based on their back office, but the SA at least shares with me some of the models are that very unlikely to be allocated, unless I spend a lot of jewellery.

At least I have purchased the new Explorer II Black Dial from them last year at retail, so at least they are honest with me. But I consolidate all my purchases from them to keep a reasonable spending amount with them - like Tudors and previously DateJust purchases.

I am waiting for a Sub no Date from them, they tell me 3-6 months.
Old 12 February 2022, 10:30 AM   #55
zengineer
"TRF" Member

They are giving you different variations of what they think is most likely to get you to stop sending them email.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 10:51 AM   #56
viper
"TRF" Member

I'd go grey and be done with it.

I see the premium as a convenience fee for not having to play these silly games
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 01:22 PM   #57
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Are AD's lying to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
I'd go grey and be done with it.

I see the premium as a convenience fee for not having to play these silly games

Five figure “convenience fee”. What a world…

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:24 PM   #58
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

They want you in the store (to see you) .. so they can sell you stuff you don't want. It's a part of the "journey".
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 03:42 PM   #59
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Is there some algorithm or specialty search software that detects posts of this nature, ‘How do I get a Rolex’ and after the initial post, locks it down and shunts it off to a pod where all the countless number of stored replies from the countless other threads just like this one are all collated, correlated, circumscribed, circumcised, and circumnavigated, then randomly posted?
Think of all the 0’s and 1’s we’d save.