The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2022, 06:23 PM   #1
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
U.K. Prices/ Market situation

Sorry changed my mind
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 06:31 PM   #2
cryptowalkway
Banned

Not sure what watchfinder are up to but I’ve never come across a more suspect company in the watch world - and that’s saying something! Trying to rip you off on that plat Daytona. As for the white gold subs, they’re actually quite soft considering everything else these days. It surprises me but I think the white gold thing is still less popular than yellow and rose because it’s less of a flex.
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 06:32 PM   #3
cryptowalkway
Banned

Ps - how much do you want for your Daytona?
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Sorry changed my mind
Huh ?
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 07:39 PM   #5
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
WF are expensive for Rolex (very) their WG subs are 5-6k more than the one at Hackett watches as an example they want 41k he's asking 36k.

They've pushed the 126710 BLRO to 25k as well, I find them better priced for the other brands and they carry a wide range and the condition in my experience has always been spot on.
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 08:56 PM   #6
telesquire
Banned

I find the market quite interesting, mainly because I have no need to buy for now. Just patterns and how some models are exploding whilst others are pretty steady. For example you see old model 36mm Exp's going for as much as the new model grey price...why? Also the SS Subs seem to have slowed down whilst the Rhodium YM's are several grand higher. Now the AK's are heading north of ten but still not really selling. Then there's the old model Subs and Sea Dwellers that are now going for more than a new one at grey prices. Meanwhile I still know so few people that own a Rolex. Odd.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 09:15 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

WF 's asking prices are steep and can be off putting. Whenever I've dealt with them, they have been willing to negotiate. I think that unless the watch for sale is ultra rare, no buyer will need to come up with the asking price unless they are too timid to haggle. WF rely on sales turnover. If they have a real buyer (not a time waster) they will deal. This is not the case with some other grey sellers I've spoken to who come over all defensive if I try to haggle.

I nearly bought an unworn Explorer 2 from WF in December 2017 because after a couple of emails and a phone call they had come down 15% and dropped below MSRP. But my AD had one in stock and gave me a discount which made their Polar a no brainer. Of course, it's different now. I haven't seen a new Explorer 2 at any AD. Any grey seller who does not exploit the situation and follow the trend might be better suited to working for a charity than running a business.

I have sold two watches to WF. The reason I sold to them is because they came up with by far the best offers compared to what other dealers were willing to offer me. Again, WF come off as a company who want to buy and sell watches, not someone who thinks I am trying to rip them off if I ask for a few quid more.

When all is said and done, nobody is being forced to buy watches from or sell watches to WF, or anyone else. Don't like? Don't use.

I can't believe what the grey Rolex market is doing at the moment. How many people are actually buying at there premiums? It feels like the spasm before a fall, but what do I know? A significant realignment would be good news. I want watches I can wear every day and feel comfortable with, not commodities I am scared to take out of the safe in case anyone else sees them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 09:35 PM   #8
blargle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I want watches I can wear every day and feel comfortable with, not commodities I am scared to take out of the safe in case anyone else sees them.
this is exactly my problem
blargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 09:41 PM   #9
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blargle View Post
Technically it's other peoples' problem, but such is the madness that it's become our problem.

I don't want to buy or sell anything on the grey market but I can still get caught in the crossfire if I walk around wearing a Rolex.
Old 13 February 2022, 09:50 PM   #10
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by blargle View Post

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2022, 10:09 PM   #11
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexperfect View Post
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah me too, I don't want to feel like this about my watches. I still like to think and wear them like the £3k watch I bought them for and not all this £10k nonsense. I don't want people to look at me doing a dirty job in them thinking he's wearing an expensive watch doing that or that he's paid stupid money for a watch, because I haven't.
There's a 2019 AK now on ebay uk with bids upto late £8k...bidding has slowed but its still plenty enough for a used one. Not sure who is actually buying them.
I spoke to a friend a while back that manages a finance company and he said they had being doing a lot of watch finance for grey dealers/jewellers and he was concerned about the inflated prices too. I can only guess the kidz are having these on monthly payments like their phones, films and music.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 10:18 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
I can only guess the kidz are having these on monthly payments like their phones, films and music.
Crazy! But it's a free country. Maybe the impossibility of scraping together a deposit for a house, or being certain a salaried job will last more than three months, getting a decent job in the first place, or just feeling generally deprived of long term opportunities, makes them want to live for the moment and/or spend a proportion of their time in a fantasy. It's unlikely to improve any time soon.