The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 16 February 2022, 02:04 PM   #1
gkenny
"TRF" Member

Rolex President

Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a relative who owns a Rolex President about 45 years old. The stem does not wind the watch, it just spins. Everything else works normally and you can wind the watch by just turning it in your hand or on your wrist to wind it.

What are the possible problems? Is it something that can be repaired without sending to Rolex? What could be the possible to repair the winding this watch?

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much, stay safe my friend, regards, gkenny.
gkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 09:06 PM   #2
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
what ?
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2022, 10:54 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Rolex President

It’s possible the stem has a problem, or the gearset the stem engages in position 1.

From your narrative, the perpetual autowind rotor assembly appears to be working.

Yeah it needs a service…perhaps a local watchmaker but he/she must have a parts account to be sure the new parts are genuine. I suggest RSC.

BTW, can the hands be turned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 05:31 AM   #4
gkenny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s possible the stem has a problem, or the gearset the stem engages in position 1.

From your narrative, the perpetual autowind rotor assembly appears to be working.

Yeah it needs a service…perhaps a local watchmaker but he/she must have a parts account to be sure the new parts are genuine. I suggest RSC.

BTW, can the hands be turned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"Thank you for the reply 77T, I appreciate your input. apparently my first reply to you didn't get through, so here it is again.

Yes, the hands turn and everything runs correctly except that the crown and stem do not wind the watch.

What is RSC? Regards, gkenny."

Last edited by Tools; 4 March 2022 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: repaired quote
gkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2022, 11:25 PM   #5
joa
"TRF" Member

> What is RSC

Rolex Service Center
Old 4 March 2022, 02:55 AM   #6
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkenny View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a relative who owns a Rolex President about 45 years old. The stem does not wind the watch, it just spins. Everything else works normally and you can wind the watch by just turning it in your hand or on your wrist to wind it.

What are the possible problems? Is it something that can be repaired without sending to Rolex? What could be the possible to repair the winding this watch?

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer, it will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Gkenny,
Welcome to TRF.

Your question is somewhat confusing. If your relative's watch is from 1977 (estimate based on your 45 years estimate) and if it is indeed a President as you state, then it should already be automatic. Which means, you do NOT have to wind it by hand. The wrist movement should already wind the watch and make it function. In that regard, there is really nothing to fix. However, if the watch is 45 years old and you do not know its service history, then it is best you bring it to a Rolex Service Center (RSC) for evaluation and servicing.

Based on its age and depending on what needs to be replaced it could cost about $1500 (more or less). Note that an RSC is not just a Rolex retail store or town jeweler. An RSC is owned and operated by the Rolex company and is probably the best place to bring your watch for repair and service. Depending on where you live in PA, you could probably bring it to the New York City RSC in 5th Avenue. They are pretty reliable there. If they cannot fix or service your watch then they will send it to Geneva.

Good luck and update us on what you find out.
I am genuinely curious.

Old 4 March 2022, 02:58 AM   #7
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Gkenny welcome, go take your watch in for service.
Old 4 March 2022, 04:15 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkenny View Post

If it is 45 years old and has not been cleaned and lubricated in a while, that may be the only problem.

When the stem/crown is pulled out to the various positions, gears and pinions need to move into position to do what we want. If these mating parts are dry or gunked up, they won't engage.

Naturally, it could be something broken, but a proper service would replace any of those parts.

You need a watchmaker to look at it. It doesn't need to be Rolex, but it should be somebody familiar and able to work on Rolex movements.