The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: NON-ROLEX watches

Old 20 May 2022, 06:40 PM   #1
x2046
"TRF" Member

WTS: Audemars Piguet Quantieme Perpetual 25661BA

Price: USD 32,500

Description

This is the Audemars Piguet Quantieme Perpetual 25661BA. For all the rage about Royal Oaks, it’s worth noting that Audemars Piguet actually started with the manufacturing of complicated timepieces. Their first grand complication, a pocket watch, was released back in 1899. This was followed by the thinnest calibre for a pocket watch in the early 1900s, the first skeletonized pocket watch and the world’s thinnest wrist watch. Significant to the history of horology, Audemars Piguet was a key contributor to the world of complicated timepieces.

This particular Quantieme Perpetual is an important one for a multitude of reasons. In the 1970s, the Swiss watch industry was under siege by the advent of battery-powered quartz watches, a period known as the Quartz Crisis. It was during this period that Audemars Piguet released what is now known as a seminal piece - the world’s thinnest automatic perpetual calendar. In fact, this was conceived at a time when it was likely that no one else was thinking about producing a complicated mechanical wristwatch, making this series by Audemars Piguet possibly among the important in the history of horology.

The 25661BA is powered by the Cal. 2120/2800, which is a calendar module added to the Royal Oak movement. It is noteworthy that they managed to produce the movement with a thickness of only 3.95mm, which was frankly mind-blowing in that era. This reference is particularly unique because of the display caseback, which shows off the movement in all its glory and in particularly, a decorated 21K gold rotor. The total numbers produced for this reference was 342, with yellow gold being the most common at 244 pieces. For more information, visit Watch Brothers London’s article on Audemars Piguet’s Quantieme Perpetual.

With the neo-vintage era largely upon us, these complicated pieces from the 90s are not as undervalued as they were a year or so ago as collectors have realised the tremendous value relative to many other more expensive pieces. These also extend to complicated watches from that era from other brands such as Vacheron Constantin, Blancpain and Breguet. Given the historical importance and limited quantities of this reference, it is truly one for the discerning collector to own as part of horological history.

Condition

This Audemars Piguet 25661BA is in very good pre-owned condition. There are some signs of wear on the case, notably hairlines on the bezel near the 9 with some evidence of strap changes on the lugs. The crystal has no flaws and the dial is in excellent, clean condition. The engravings are still clear on the caseback and it retains its original papers and the original AP buckle. The watch is in full working order.

Specifications

Brand Audemars Piguet

Model Quantieme Perpetual

Reference 25661BA

Case 36

Movement Automatic

Case material Yellow Gold

Bracelet material Leather

Year 1991

Condition Good

Accessories Original Papers

Limited Yes. 342 pieces

I am based in Singapore, I have some references which I am happy to share privately. I have references on Reddit / TRF / WUS as well and also sell on Chrono24 with lots of reviews. Price includes worldwide shipping.

Please let me know if you have any questions through the PM system or via my new Instagram @dtimepieces.sg or through my website D-Timepieces