The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 June 2022, 06:42 AM   #1
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Cartier hang tag vs warranty card mismatch

I purchased a Cartier Santos on eBay, which was authenticated and came with numerous Delugs bands. That would further indicate it was real, because who would buy a number of De Lugs straps for a fake watch. The watch looks relatively unworn, but....

The hang tags say "M date Nov 22" and the warranty card says date "12-30-20." The serial number on the tag and warranty card match. Is this normal to have the date mismatch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 268D78BB-ED19-4167-8E5E-D660B6CF48C4.jpeg (139.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpeg E2E84746-EF8F-4A67-AEAA-0A7F6488AE62.jpeg (154.9 KB, 143 views)
Carterman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 07:20 AM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Not normal.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 07:24 AM   #3
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Not normal.
What is the likely occurrence here? Just a bad warranty card? Why would they sell a watch with a hang tag that says '22 and all the de lugs straps? That's what gets me. Those straps are expensive and it came with five. And the dealer is a jeweler with hundreds of positive reviews on eBay. It also went through ebay authentication. Is there no chance this watch is real?

What is best course of action?
Old 21 June 2022, 07:32 AM   #4
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Anything I say is speculation but I’d ask them to confirm and provide accurate accoutrements

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 08:06 AM   #5
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Anything I say is speculation but I’d ask them to confirm and provide accurate accoutrements
I take it back. I tried scanning the warranty card a different way (just using my phone camera and letting it transfer me to the site rather than first logging into my account) and it scanned just fine.

So is there still an authenticity issue here? Warranty card scans but is dated 12-30-20. Hang tag has matching serial number to watch and warranty card, but is dated Nov 22. But in thinking about this for a second, the "22" is referring to a day, not the year. I read it as a misprint of November 2022. Why would Cartier print the day but not the year on the hang tag? And how do I find the year from the hang tag?

Given the info above, would there be any way this can be a fake given that ebay authenticated?
Old 21 June 2022, 10:31 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's e-bay. 'nuff said
Old 21 June 2022, 10:47 AM   #7
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's e-bay. 'nuff said
I bought it from a reputable seller who also sells in many of these forums, even though it was through ebay.
Old 21 June 2022, 10:52 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterman32 View Post
because who would buy a number of De Lugs straps for a fake watch
Someone trying to make that fake watch look more real?

I don't doubt yours is real, but I would take this up with the seller. Then follow up again here.
Old 21 June 2022, 06:00 PM   #9
fmc000
Banned

It's a funny mistake, especially when one consideres that NOV 22 is still a few months away... To answer a previous post, this cannot be a simple wrong warranty card; it may well be ok but the hang tag of course it's not.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 10:51 PM   #10
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
It's a funny mistake, especially when one consideres that NOV 22 is still a few months away... To answer a previous post, this cannot be a simple wrong warranty card; it may well be ok but the hang tag of course it's not.
That’s not the year on the hang tag. It’s the (M)onth and date as indicated directly above on the tag. There is no year. The warranty card is hand written at time of sale. The tag is typed and printed elsewhere most likely prior to shipping. Not sure why these two dates are even expected to match. The serial numbers match on both. Most likely the hand tag was printed on November 22, 2020 and the watch was sold on December 30, 2020. So it sat around for a month. Unless it sat around longer and it’s from November 22, 2019. That’s probably why they don’t print the year. They don’t want customers knowing how long these watches have been sitting around.

The watch has supposedly been authenticated and bought through a trusted seller. If the OP hadn’t mentioned eBay no one would be suspicious. This is exactly why you should never buy on eBay. No matter what, there will never be 100% peace of mind.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:15 PM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Ebay.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 12:52 AM   #12
ap1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
That’s not the year on the hang tag. It’s the (M)onth and date as indicated directly above on the tag. There is no year. The warranty card is hand written at time of sale. The tag is typed and printed elsewhere most likely prior to shipping. Not sure why these two dates are even expected to match. The serial numbers match on both. Most likely the hand tag was printed on November 22, 2020 and the watch was sold on December 30, 2020. So it sat around for a month. Unless it sat around longer and it’s from November 22, 2019. That’s probably why they don’t print the year. They don’t want customers knowing how long these watches have been sitting around.

The watch has supposedly been authenticated and bought through a trusted seller. If the OP hadn’t mentioned eBay no one would be suspicious. This is exactly why you should never buy on eBay. No matter what, there will never be 100% peace of mind.

I tend to agree with this. Only other thing I’d add is cartier puts a sticker on caseback with a future date a couple years out. This is so the movement can get checked if the watch sits too long unsold. Could the OP be referencing that sticker
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 03:57 AM   #13
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
That’s not the year on the hang tag. It’s the (M)onth and date as indicated directly above on the tag. There is no year.
LOL, you're right. I interpreted the date as we write it in Italy, NOV 22 means November 2022 for us as we would have written 22 NOV to indicate November 22nd. Sorry for the noise :-)
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 04:07 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Someone trying to make that fake watch look more real?

I don't doubt yours is real, but I would take this up with the seller. Then follow up again here.
My thoughts too Adam.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote