The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 July 2022, 12:24 PM   #1
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

Blancpain Bathyscape 38 and other thoughts

I’ve really been trying to be out on Rolex because of inflated prices and what the brand has become(though they do keep luring me back). I have a great appreciation for Grand Seiko, have owned several and still own one — but with work from home they no longer really fit my lifestyle. I’m dressed down most of the time and so tool/brushed steel/divers fit me more. Tudor comes to mind as appropriate, and I own do own a black bay 58, but tudors don’t really BLOW your socks off - even if they are great watches. Omegas are ok, but SM300 is a dinner plate on me, and the AT again is just slightly too dressy IMO. Lately everything has just been so blah, and I havent found much that’s caught my eye — and yes I know I sound picky and entitled here — is what it is.

This brings me to Blancpain. Never owned one. Very functional, but high horology(ish). They have the brand history. Impressive movements. Just under the radar enough - never seen one in the wild. The Bathyscape, in grey with the fabric strap has me very intrigued. Problem is the only thing I ever see is the 43mm model which won’t work for me. Are the 38’s super rare? Anyone have experience with them? Thoughts on BP brand on general?

Thanks!
Dcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 12:52 PM   #2
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
In a similar situation; I'm looking at the Leman Flyback Chrono....if you like the nuanced Blancpain design language, it's a pretty outstanding value for genuine high horology. (100m WR chrono, 38mm, 11.5mm thickness, fly-back function, high grade movement finishing & outstanding F. Piguet movt., superbly engineered X71 bracelet. Their customer service is also second to none.) The pricing can't be beat because it's not a hyped brand. Just don't expect value retention/investment potential like Rolex/AP. If you love the watch, its a great product that will bring you joy.

As far as dive watches go- Tim Mosso had called the Fifty Fathoms the 'Cadillac' of dive watches (in the best way possible.) The bezel action is second to none, the movement finishing is outstanding for the price-point (better than or equal to AP_RO Offshores.)
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 10:14 PM   #3
dannyp
Banned

I think the regular 38mm is a very nice watch, but were I looking for one (and they were still available), there's no question: I'd be going for the Hodinkee collaboration version, Caliber 1153. As a lover of smaller watches, I think it is perhaps the best looking diver on the market. Can't comment on finishing or reliability as I have no hands on experience w/Blancpain, but never heard anything but the best.

Also, unlike others at the Blancpain level and above who make/have made modern divers (JLC, GP), there's more substantial dive watch history with the brand.

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-f...ition-hodinkee

I only wish it were available on a bracelet, too.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 04:23 AM   #4
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I think the regular 38mm is a very nice watch, but were I looking for one (and they were still available), there's no question: I'd be going for the Hodinkee collaboration version, Caliber 1153. As a lover of smaller watches, I think it is perhaps the best looking diver on the market. Can't comment on finishing or reliability as I have no hands on experience w/Blancpain, but never heard anything but the best.

Also, unlike others at the Blancpain level and above who make/have made modern divers (JLC, GP), there's more substantial dive watch history with the brand.

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-f...ition-hodinkee

I only wish it were available on a bracelet, too.

Damn you for this. That thing is 🔥. And of course nowhere to be found
Old 28 July 2022, 04:35 AM   #5
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcraig View Post
I’ve really been trying to be out on Rolex because of inflated prices and what the brand has become(though they do keep luring me back). I have a great appreciation for Grand Seiko, have owned several and still own one — but with work from home they no longer really fit my lifestyle. I’m dressed down most of the time and so tool/brushed steel/divers fit me more. Tudor comes to mind as appropriate, and I own do own a black bay 58, but tudors don’t really BLOW your socks off - even if they are great watches. Omegas are ok, but SM300 is a dinner plate on me, and the AT again is just slightly too dressy IMO. Lately everything has just been so blah, and I havent found much that’s caught my eye — and yes I know I sound picky and entitled here — is what it is.

This brings me to Blancpain. Never owned one. Very functional, but high horology(ish). They have the brand history. Impressive movements. Just under the radar enough - never seen one in the wild. The Bathyscape, in grey with the fabric strap has me very intrigued. Problem is the only thing I ever see is the 43mm model which won’t work for me. Are the 38’s super rare? Anyone have experience with them? Thoughts on BP brand on general?

Thanks!
I had a chance to try on the 38mm Bathy in the NYC boutique yesterday. It's a beautiful piece, finely built, with a really impressive dial. It looks equally good on a NATO as it does on sailcloth. I have Rolex and Omega, but to me the Blancpain has a large edge in quality, history and workmanship. It fits all of the things you're looking for - it's more impressive than the other brands you mention, will fly under the radar better than anything else, and can easily be dressed down with a NATO.

I would not select the 38mm Bathy as, for me, it's too small. But that's because I'm used to wearing a Fifty Fathoms.

I recommend trying on the 38mm. I think you'll be instantly sold the moment you see it in person.
Spartyfan6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 04:36 AM   #6
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Damn you for this. That thing is 🔥. And of course nowhere to be found
They only made 100 of these. They are truly classic watches, and I wish they were a regular production model.
Old 28 July 2022, 04:58 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyfan6262 View Post
They only made 100 of these. They are truly classic watches, and I wish they were a regular production model.
Does the fact that it’s still in the site suggest there are some still floating around the company’s boutiques? Or that production was extended?

Seems like more than just an old model that they forgot to take down, as MSRP is significantly higher than what Hodinkee originally listed as the price when released.

Second edit: this has a slightly different reference number than the Hodinkee one. Maybe hope?
Old 28 July 2022, 06:53 AM   #8
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch. Movement and finishing are a league above Omega and Rolex.
AD’s and Boutiques should have the 38mm version, they are not that rare. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 09:09 AM   #9
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Blancpain Bathyscape 38 and other thoughts

Quote:
Does the fact that it’s still in the site suggest there are some still floating around the company’s boutiques? Or that production was extended?

Seems like more than just an old model that they forgot to take down, as MSRP is significantly higher than what Hodinkee originally listed as the price when released.

Second edit: this has a slightly different reference number than the Hodinkee one. Maybe hope?

Blancpain, for some reason, has a lot of special edition pieces on their site that they do lot actively sell anymore. I will say it is a good source of info for a piece to target in the secondary market.

Best of luck in your search, OP. I have had a few of their pieces and they have all been top notch.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 11:16 AM   #10
Dcraig
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the feedback. I think I’m sold. The hunt begins
Old 28 July 2022, 11:47 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
Blancpain, for some reason, has a lot of special edition pieces on their site that they do lot actively sell anymore. I will say it is a good source of info for a piece to target in the secondary market.

Best of luck in your search, OP. I have had a few of their pieces and they have all been top notch.
Take this with a (coarse) grain of salt, but when I was in a GP dealer last month, I was told that the Laureato 38mm was discontinued, but still on the website because somewhere, there were still some in dealer cases. If that's true (big "if"), I wonder if Blancpain is the same, in which case perhaps there's one out there somewhere in a boutique/AD?

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback. I think I’m sold. The hunt begins
Good luck (assuming you're seeking the limited one)! Worst case scenario, the "normal" 38 isn't exactly dog poop.
Old 28 July 2022, 01:10 PM   #12
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
The regular Bathyscaphe sounds large at 43, but it really does wear smaller, as the case is quite svelte. The muted, brushed finishing helps too. If you can, before buying, try both sizes.
Old 29 July 2022, 02:32 AM   #13
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:

An AnalogShift staffer told me that the Hodinkee LE models do occasionally pop up for sale on Chrono24 and other sites, so if you see one act quickly because others are on the hunt for them too!
Old 31 July 2022, 01:07 AM   #14
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I think the Bathyscape 38 is a smart move...

I had the larger 43mm Bathscaphe and it was way to big for my wrist. I can pull off a Submarier OK, but that is the size limit outside of a few I don't care large Seiko divers I have that are just fun watches.

But the 43mm wore like a plate on my wrist. Big, flat, very spacious lug to lug, it was just way too big. I was hung up on getting the caliber 1315, which is shared with it's big brother the FF. In retrospect I should have acquired the 38mm with the caliber 1150. If I did I would still have the watch.

So if you have the wrist to pull it off go for the 43mm. Otherwise the 38mm is a fine selection.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote