The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 October 2022, 07:16 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Refinishing - How to Tell?

Besides the obvious (looking new), how easy or difficult is it to determine whether a case has been refinished via laser by the likes of a LAWW, Rolliworks, or ZWR … especially if the case is thick to begin with?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 07:36 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If someone says it's easy to tell, they are probably one of the top experts in the world, who can immediately recognize a variation from the original shape of the chamfers, etc.

For the rest of us, it's not always easy, but there are certain signs one can look for from various angles. Like anything with vintage watches, it takes a lot of practice and observation.
Old 11 October 2022, 08:00 AM   #3
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I think that these watches were generally well worn and enjoyed. When you see nice bevels that have marks and gashes in them I accept the concept of originality. When they are gleaming and pristine, I just can’t accept it. I just feel more comfortable buying watches with age related wear
harry in montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 08:07 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I think that these watches were generally well worn and enjoyed. When you see nice bevels that have marks and gashes in them I accept the concept of originality. When they are gleaming and pristine, I just can’t accept it. I just feel more comfortable buying watches with age related wear
Note to self: put watches in the rock tumbler before selling to Harry. ;-)
Old 11 October 2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
I'm looking forward to read the experts' opinions!

Personally I run from too pretty old cases, but what do I know...
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 10:13 AM   #6
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind many older references were hand-finished, resulting in minor variations in each one.
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 10:29 AM   #7
illiguy

In which year, time period did Rolex stop hand finishing?
Old 11 October 2022, 01:08 PM   #8
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
I don't see any downside to beefing up a case that has been over polished.
If you are only interested in museum grade safe queens that will never get dinged, then sure, laser welding is not for you.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 01:24 PM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
I don't see any downside to beefing up a case that has been over polished.
If you are only interested in museum grade safe queens that will never get dinged, then sure, laser welding is not for you.
I think the OP is simply asking whether it is possible to tell the difference between original and refinished, not whether we approve of refinishing. Frankly, the "laser" part of the question was a bit of a distraction IMO. Some people don't seem to understand that laser welding is just a way to add material, and it leaves an extremely rough raw blobby surface. Refinishing still has to be performed, laser welding or no laser welding. And basically nobody can tell if laser welding has been performed, unless they use some sort of high tech process. So I assume that we are really talking about the refinishing part.
Old 11 October 2022, 06:01 PM   #10
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I think the OP is simply asking whether it is possible to tell the difference between original and refinished, not whether we approve of refinishing. Frankly, the "laser" part of the question was a bit of a distraction IMO. Some people don't seem to understand that laser welding is just a way to add material, and it leaves an extremely rough raw blobby surface. Refinishing still has to be performed, laser welding or no laser welding. And basically nobody can tell if laser welding has been performed, unless they use some sort of high tech process. So I assume that we are really talking about the refinishing part.
Yes, that’s right. I messaged with one of the leaders in this space, and here is what they wrote:

“Our speciality is not removing more than .10 of material from each lug. That’s about the width of a human hair. We use the laser extensively to achieve this minimal loss and we have great results where loss is prevented.”

Seems this answers the question and aligns with your initial response, Dan.
Old 11 October 2022, 06:12 PM   #11
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Any downside from refinishing a 1680 or 5513 say with Rolliworks that has previously been polished? Apart from cost or making a worn vintage look new. Both are valid objections too.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 06:36 PM   #12
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Any downside from refinishing a 1680 or 5513 say with Rolliworks that has previously been polished? Apart from cost or making a worn vintage look new. Both are valid objections too.
If previously polished already, and enough to have you ask, I think you should go for it.
Old 12 October 2022, 01:17 AM   #13
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
If previously polished already, and enough to have you ask, I think you should go for it.

The watch is original only once, if it went already under the wheel I see no problem in refinishing it.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 01:35 AM   #14
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Yes to the tumbler!
harry in montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:36 AM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
In which year, time period did Rolex stop hand finishing?
It was definitely still going on in the 90s according to a former head of consumer service.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:45 AM   #16
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post

The watch is original only once, if it went already under the wheel I see no problem in refinishing it.
Exactly! My premise was always the same. There are a handful of watches that haven't been polished once at LEAST by Rolex in service. Sure maybe in some way that is a Cool Thing...but even before laser...a good case guy could really fix some bad work. Sure some metal was lost but often times much less than one might think. Now...ROLEX laser welds...in Geneva. It's an up charge.
I'm working on a 1675 right now..that has some serious corrosion issues. It's an heirloom...it will be much better and virtually undetectable from an NOS service case when this done by a properly trained person.

Most of the watches we are talking about now were common as road fill when this all started back in the late 90s early 2000s...
If it's a really insanely rare 40s or 50s watch or some mil spec sub or Comex or whatever that might be a real ooh or ah. But...watches got used, serviced and polished. No offense...I've owned several myself, but let's agree 5513's and 1675's are COMMON...there were HUNDREDS in pawn shops in the 80s for under 500.00 They're not museum worthy on a grand scale. Wear what you like and how you enjoy it to appear. Nothing wrong with a nice crisp serviced case with proper chamfers and dimensions. The truth be told, wear it 40 years without babying it...and who could tell? Anyone who saw an original when new will be dead.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 10:51 AM   #17
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Exactly! My premise was always the same. There are a handful of watches that haven't been polished once at LEAST by Rolex in service. Sure maybe in some way that is a Cool Thing...but even before laser...a good case guy could really fix some bad work. Sure some metal was lost but often times much less than one might think. Now...ROLEX laser welds...in Geneva. It's an up charge.
I'm working on a 1675 right now..that has some serious corrosion issues. It's an heirloom...it will be much better and virtually undetectable from an NOS service case when this done by a properly trained person.

Most of the watches we are talking about now were common as road fill when this all started back in the late 90s early 2000s...
If it's a really insanely rare 40s or 50s watch or some mil spec sub or Comex or whatever that might be a real ooh or ah. But...watches got used, serviced and polished. No offense...I've owned several myself, but let's agree 5513's and 1675's are COMMON...there were HUNDREDS in pawn shops in the 80s for under 500.00 They're not museum worthy on a grand scale. Wear what you like and how you enjoy it to appear. Nothing wrong with a nice crisp serviced case with proper chamfers and dimensions. The truth be told, wear it 40 years without babying it...and who could tell? Anyone who saw an original when new will be dead.
It would seem refinishing through a proper professional enables this. Would think it’s important to get the correct chamfers, based on period, however.
Old 12 October 2022, 09:00 PM   #18
1675-David
"TRF" Member

1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:54 AM   #19
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post

this
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:57 AM   #20
lupus66
"TRF" Member

and why make an old 5513 case look like new. like a boob job.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 03:55 AM   #21
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus66 View Post
and why make an old 5513 case look like new. like a boob job.

When a watch is poorly polished and the case is rounded out - but the dial/insert/bezel maybe the band is splendid… this is when case refinishing shines.

If the case was sleeve polished and naturally worn I think it would be criminal to refinish it… but if it was polished by a heavy handed watchmaker why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 06:52 AM   #22
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Note to self: put watches in the rock tumbler before selling to Harry. ;-)