The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 October 2022, 06:43 PM   #1
Gywatch
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1680 service advise

Hi all , newbie collector to the vintage watch side have a couple of modern examples , I have just purchased a 1978 1680 Rolex sub , hasn’t had a service as far as I know for 20 or more years , condition is very good but could anyone recommend a person or company in the London area to have a service only done don’t wish to have it polished etc , many thanks
Gywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 09:24 PM   #2
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

In London options include Steven Hale https://www.shwr.co.uk and Russell Talerman https://www.russelltalerman.com/rolex . Don't be tempted to use a non Rolex accredited watchmaker.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2022, 01:20 AM   #3
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
I had a 1967 Rolex 5513 that needed service. My first instinct was to take it to the local AD for service and, since they are a Rolex AD, they said Rolex requires all 4 digit references have to be sent back to the RSC in New York City. I sent the watch for evaluation; not only did they want to service the movement, but indicated that the original bezel, hands, etc. had to be changed since they no longer meet specification! It even got better when they told me that the original parts would not be returned… mind you it was about $1,100 for the service.

Rolex (at the time) wanted all 4 digit references to be sent back under the guise of preserving the originality of the watch, but then were going to destroy the original aesthetic condition of the watch. I asked if I could select the actions that were going to be done (i.e., service the movement) but Rolex said it was all or nothing. This included the polish of an unpolished case!!!

Needless to say I requested the watch back and did not go ahead with the work. Bottom line, make sure you understand what work is going to be done by the repair person/center before moving ahead and understand the risks!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote