The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 February 2023, 08:19 AM   #1
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Craigslist Gem?

Just stumbled across this while looking for random items in my hometown and didn't expect to see this. Don't have enough vintage Rolex knowledge (or funds) to pull the trigger, but curious what forum members thoughts are:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/jwl/d...588814563.html
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 08:35 AM   #2
CHF
Banned

Well, I don't have the knowledge either but it does look exactly the way one might expect a watch with that story to look. The case back engraving wear would be hard to emulate, but I'm not familiar with tricks that some may employ. The fact that it's on a non original TT bracelet that is acknowledged lends credibility but, again, that itself could be a ploy. I'm very intrigued by what the experts here will say. Interesting and thank you.
CHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 08:49 AM   #3
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

I work at the VA. A Vietnam vet selling his unit-engraved Rolex? I can't even imagine this being an option unless he is in very dire straits.
some.idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 08:56 AM   #4
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
It’s not your typical FS post. It’s missing many orig parts but the dial is where the value lies.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 08:58 AM   #5
HAPConst
Banned

I recently picked up a 16808 from a vet. His wife passed a few months back and he needs around the clock care. He sold me his watch to help pay for his nurse. I felt bad for him, but promised to never sell it and always remember him and his sacrifice. Could be a similar situation.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 09:31 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Someone locally here is trying to sell a 5508 that he inherited from his Vietnam vet buddy. Also on Craigslist. I can't get him to consider a fair offer, unfortunately.
Old 15 February 2023, 09:39 AM   #7
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

well he isn't selling it for chumb change - he is already setting expectations in his advertisement.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 02:14 PM   #8
CTech
"TRF" Member

The 5508 on ebay for $250,000 that is referenced in the Vermont Craigslist advert has been offered for sale for that price for several years, and is often used by sellers as a benchmark for their non-original, beat up, dirty, neglected and generally scruffy examples.

In reality, good condition 5508s with a gilt dial but with some variations on replaced hands, insert, etc. can be had from the normal sources for anything between $20,000 and $30,000.

Typical sellers of these (and other similar early Submariners) are being misled both by the $250,000 one on ebay and a very small number of auction results where a high price could be justified because of the exceptional condition and originality of the watch.

As Dan says, reasonable offers for the usual Craigslist 5508s are refused because the sellers cannot distinguish how poor their watch really is compared to the collector quality ones, and so they think everybody will be clamoring to buy theirs at 5 to 10 times market value.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 02:47 PM   #9
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Dan the watch you’re talking about the owner is here on rolexforums. I’ve seen pictures posted and even answered in the thread.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 04:14 PM   #10
CTech
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
Dan the watch you’re talking about the owner is here on rolexforums. I’ve seen pictures posted and even answered in the thread.
This is the thread:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=863245

It looks quite good and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't sold yet. The Craigslist advert says he wants $40,000 for it which doesn't seem too far out of line:

https://denver.craigslist.org/jwl/d/...584809708.html
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2023, 06:39 PM   #11
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
The 5508 on ebay for $250,000 that is referenced in the Vermont Craigslist advert has been offered for sale for that price for several years, and is often used by sellers as a benchmark for their non-original, beat up, dirty, neglected and generally scruffy examples.

In reality, good condition 5508s with a gilt dial but with some variations on replaced hands, insert, etc. can be had from the normal sources for anything between $20,000 and $30,000.

Typical sellers of these (and other similar early Submariners) are being misled both by the $250,000 one on ebay and a very small number of auction results where a high price could be justified because of the exceptional condition and originality of the watch.

As Dan says, reasonable offers for the usual Craigslist 5508s are refused because the sellers cannot distinguish how poor their watch really is compared to the collector quality ones, and so they think everybody will be clamoring to buy theirs at 5 to 10 times market value.
Very true $250,000 is big case (6538) red depth territory.... seems many dealers/privates don't (perhaps willfully) get the HUGE difference between that type of rare beast and their 6536/1 or 5508 with scruffy ordinary 2 line gilt dial.

$40,000 is a little bit toppy, but dial is perfect (and I know we analysed it here and Gerhard too on VRF) and considered that it is a legit excl dial.
What a perfect waste of time....
My Sad Captains - ELBOW
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 12:09 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
This is the thread:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=863245

It looks quite good and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't sold yet. The Craigslist advert says he wants $40,000 for it which doesn't seem too far out of line:

https://denver.craigslist.org/jwl/d/...584809708.html
Yeah, I'd love to see it in person, check it with a Geiger counter, etc., but the owner has declined my offers to meet so far. Maybe someday we will get together and make a deal.
Old 16 February 2023, 01:42 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The listing the OP posted with his question is the quintessential “trust the seller” paradigm. To be a buyer is to accept the seller’s narrative.

If one could reach a mutually agreeable price, then a flight to Vermont with cash in hand is the best path for a true collector.

Perhaps Wardwell would be willing to show any military enlistment/discharge docs to help add provenance. Because this is the ultimate barn find, one would be hard pressed to support the story barehanded.

It is a very interesting watch - and the Army’s 336th assault helicopter company was in theater during the engraved service dates. Wardwell didn’t show up in internet searches but that isn’t meaningful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote