The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 February 2023, 08:22 AM   #1
deigo7
"TRF" Member

Advice on Purchasing 1st Vintage Rolex

Looking to buy my 1st vintage Rolex. Specifically looking at 18038 from a reputable dealer. The watch is running in spec but no records of last service. I would want the movement serviced only as the watch has a very cool patina on the dial and overall watch.

Thanks for any help or hints.
deigo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 08:23 AM   #2
tifosi
"TRF" Member

What exactly do you want to know?
Old 16 February 2023, 08:32 AM   #3
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

A reputable indy will definitely agree to just service the movement and not touch rest of watch. RSC seems increasingly unwilling to service vintage watches anyway, so going directly to an indy will probably be the way to go.

Sending watch to them to service but also asking first to check the watch out and make sure everything is authentic/original and if so then doing the service would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 10:10 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think that Rolex will still service most 5-digit watches. However, IMO you would want to send the watch directly to a service center so that can communicate with them and make sure that there are no misunderstandings.

Alternatively, you can certainly send the watch to one of the independent watchmakers frequently recommended on the forum, just run a search.
Old 16 February 2023, 11:03 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deigo7 View Post
Looking to buy my 1st vintage Rolex. Specifically looking at 18038 from a reputable dealer. The watch is running in spec but no records of last service. I would want the movement serviced only as the watch has a very cool patina on the dial and overall watch.

Thanks for any help or hints.

I love that ref. It was my first DD years ago.

I recommend 2 things based on your note that you like the patina on the dial and overall watch:
1. Get a written guarantee from the dealer for a 100% refund if the watch proves to be on the Rolex theft list.
2. Send it to RSC for a service quote and prominently note “no polishing”. You will get a quote (maybe a few weeks later) and then reply in writing. Decline the inevitable dial replacement, a hands replacement, and demand “do not polish the vintage case - any polishing will reduce value for which Rolex will be held responsible”.

You should expect to spend about $1000 if the movement needs any worn-out parts not ordinarily replaced during a service.

Now about the polishing point…
Be prepared - RSC may not heed your demand. If you worry a lot about that, then decline the quote completely and have RSC return the watch. Also, if they don’t polish it, be prepared to have new scratches on the case for a couple of reasons: honest errors in handling, and possibly removing the tube if it had problems. Watchmakers aren’t perfect even at the RSC. Those small new scratches are normally buffed out afterward but can’t be if your demand are met.

There is a charge by RSC for the quote if you do not allow the service. It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind (that is, you’ll know it wasn’t stolen because RSC doesn’t give quotes on watches that are on their theft report).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote